advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Medication Impact on Driving and Working

Comments

• I don't care what her qualifications are...there is NO reason for anyone to ask the same question of me or any other member 6-7 times in the immature manner in which she did. However, being a nurse practitioner, she should already know the ways in which Dr's can and do assess their patients to see to what level they are affected or "impaired" by their narcotic pain medications, and rather than argue that with me, should have backed me up by agreeing that, in fact, those of us in the medical profession can and do assess patients every day for it.

Furthermore, I agreed with what Ron (the mod) did in redirecting the thread so there is nothing for me to take up with the mods, and in fact, I wasn't the one "insinuting" anything, it was her that was blowing what I actually said into something I did not. You said you were clear on what I had said so I shouldn't have to defend my position yet again.

Additionally, I did respond and provide numerous ways that patients are "tested", or evaluated, in an effort to assess such effects and also provided factual evidence to substantiate my claim. Unless you have some other facts to repute my claims (and in that case I would ask that you take this up with me via PM rather than disrupt this thread any further-same goes to Lisa), I suggest you stop trying to create additional controversy by rekindling an already supressed flame.

This thread is supposed to be about whether or not to drive while taking narcotic pain medication, not whether or not a nurse practitioner is more qualified than a paramedic or physician in assessing a patients cognitive functions.

Respectfully,
    Tanya
  • here is a link to a story on heather locklears arrest and charged with a dui for prescription pain meds...https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/28/heather-locklear-arrested_n_130055.html?page=3
  • advertisement
  • Absolutely, Bruce! I mentioned this on another thread too, as have others. Common sense is a God given gift that we're all born with. Some of us use this on a constant basis, while unfortunately, others never use it and (in my belief) they lose the ability to use it.

=D> Very well put-and incidentally, I also suffer migraines in addition to the many other health and pain issues I have-what a great example! :) Thank you for bringing that up as a comparison/example cause I know there's a few of us here that unfortunately suffer from migraines.

Take care! :)))
  • Excellent study...thank you for providing this! :) While it's always going to be a heated discussion with varying opinions, it's always best to have facts such as this to refer to.

Thanks again!
  • Entire reply removed by moderator paulgla. Material is not relevasnt to the topic.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • advertisement
  • Again, thanks for the link! As I said it's always good to have such links to refer to especially in such a touchy subject.

(I saw this on the news...what an eye opener for many!)

Take care! :)
  • Locklear, 47, was pulled over by a California Highway Patrol officer Saturday afternoon after a resident reported seeing the actress leaving a parking lot and "driving erratically,"

She was booked at 7 p.m. on suspicion of driving under the influence of prescription medication

• On the medication that I am on now, and the stonger ones that I was on when I had cancer, the literature says not to drive until you know how you react to the medication. The way I take that (and apparently my Dr, we talked about it after the Lyica affected my vision) is that if you don't feel impaired (affected whatever) that it is ok to drive. If it is not ok to drive on a med, shouldn't it say Do Not Drive while on this medication?

The way that I understood the literature that comes with the meds is to use common sense.
  • I have a pain pump with Baclophin and Morphine being dripped into my spinal fluid every hour. Does this mean that I can NEVER EVER drive again or work again in my life because I am 'impaired' by the influence of these narcotics/muscle relaxers? The entire point of me going through the surgery (or the point of anyone going onto Fentenyal or any other long term narcotic medication) is to RECLAIM your life - not to stop living it! We all have enough of our lives taken away by the pain we're in...And the point of the medication that we are given is to give us some of that life back. Obviously when starting a new medication you should ALWAYS take it at home when you won't be in a position of needing to drive, operate machinery, work, etc. But after you become accustom to the medication, and the side effects you may or may not experience, I find it ridiculous that you would then put your life on hold because of the fact that it 'might make some people high'. I guarantee if you gave my healthy 30-year-old fiance the same dose of meds that I'm getting, he'd be a drooling idiot. But when a person who truly needs such high doses of medication - such as myself - takes these doses, it puts me back into the NORMAL person category...If I don't take my meds (now my pain pump) I am unsafe, unfunctional, UNHAPPY! I so appreciate people being cautious with their medication initially, and having the intelligence to know when they are safe to be using it in different settings such as driving, work, etc. The whole lecture from doctors about 'taking medication responsibly' doesn't just mean not taking more than you were prescribed, it also mean being responsible enough to know when you are and aren't safe to do different daily tasks while on the medications. The fact is that the responsibility for all that (taking meds correctly, driving safely on meds, working safely on meds, etc) lies solely with the person taking the medication. From what I have read here on SH it seems that 99% of people here are safe and responsible med users; simply looking to find something that can give them their body back, their health back, their LIFE back.

And just as a side note - I read Tanya's posts on the previous blog that this was all started because of, and all she did was point out the fact that doctors usually do an informal assessment of patient responsiveness during visits. If you walk into your doctor's office stumbling, slurring, and nodding off during the exam, they will (hopefully!) question you on what you're taking and then (hopefully!) decrease your medication to a more reasonable and functional level. Being aware of over medication does not take any specific standardized testing - it takes the eye of someone who is familiar with medication and medication side effects. I don't want to get in the middle of things (yikes!) but just wanted to try and clarify/summarize what I read Tanya's posts on the previous blog as saying :)))
  • I really do not know... and that is a big statement for me :D I have to say "Ask you Doc about that" because I dont know if it such a small dose to affect only locally, or if it would affect you globally.

Man, I wish I had an answer on that one.

Anyways... Best of wishes to you
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.