There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to

Learn More

Hi ! New Member

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,008
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Help!!!! I am new this site and need help. I have had 2 previous back surgeries and contiplating going in for my third.I don't know which direction to go at thi point.Let me start from the begining I stated having back pain when in High School nothing I could'nt handle Went to have a cyst removed from my wrist in 02 and when the anastesia wore off I could'nt walk went to my Primary Doctor and he put me on pain meds.I was flat on my back for 2 with no releif finally ordered an MRI and found I had a herniated disc in L5/S1 had surgery to fix that the in 03 got relief for about 6mths then the pain returned worse than before had second MRI done doctor said it was only scar tissue and but me on steroids with no relief and the pain continued and became worse finally in 05 my PCP ordered another MRI that showed a reherniation at the L5/S1 spot saw my neuro and had a second discectomy.Everything was great had no pain until Dec. 07 saw my PCP and he said the pain could no be the same and put me on 800mg Ibeupropen and 100mg Skeltin had minor relief than had major pain May 08 saw PCP had another MRI it said that I have a reherniation at the L5/S1 level DDD and scar tissue.This seems like dejvu to me.Should I wait until the pain is so bad like before where I cant function or go ahead and have the 3rd surgery.I had a Caudal Steriod ijection Monday and it was a horrific experience and I am still in pain.Sorry to go on so long but I really need some advice


  • i had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 in 2006 and had reherniation almost immediately after surgery. i had 6 steriod injection between Feb 06 and June 08. My pain doc said he wouldn't do anymore injection and sent me back to the surgeon. We did another MRI and found there was almost no disc left at that space. I had a discogram and in Sept. i decided to have spinal fusion at L4/L5/S1. There was alot of scar tissue that had to be removed. I got to the point where it was just controlling my life and i couldn't stand it anymore. i am 1.5 weeks post-op and doing ok. Really sore but trying to walk periodically to keep moving. I'm 38 yrs old. Best of luck!
  • That is what I needed to here I cannot go through the long drawn out process of seeing if the injection will finally kick in :H
  • advertisement
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. try reading the "Good News" forum for a read on successful SH surgeries. <:P please don't let anyone but you make the final decision about another surgery. it can take a few days to recover from an injection. rest and give yourself time. since you have had different readings on your MRI perhaps it is best to get a second or even third current opinion. things can change year to year. :? you might also consider a change in your pain medications. it doesn't sound your current regiment is helping you. this is again something to take up with your doctor. you don't say whether you are currently doing any type if exercise or pt? what has your doctor said about that? :-C good luck in the future and please stop by whenever you feel like it! Jenny :)
  • I have been doing at home PT per my neurosurgeon and nothing seems to help. I have pretty much made up my mind to go ahead and have the surgery.The things I have read and researched online have scared me silly I just need a little feed back from people who have been through this and know how I am feeling right now.Lets hope 3rd times the charm. :H
  • I'm sorry you have had so many problems! I have had two lam./discectomies on my L5/S1. My last surgery was in August and the disc has already reherniated. I seen my OS on Monday and we have decided to go ahead with a ALIF in about a month. I am really scared, but I am ready to be rid of the pain :''( I hope you get to feeling better soon! :)
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.