advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Discogram on 12/3/08

Comments

• Good luck, will be cheering for ya.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hope it goes well and not much pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Hope your test went well! Let us know how you did :)
  • I did ok, there was definitely pain, and still is.

I don't recall if they brought me out of it, before this, but the first conscious recollection I had was pain going down my leg. I tried to move, to try and get rid of the pain, and they had to tell me not to move. So then they had me tell them where I was hurting (which was the same areas that I normally have pain - except much worse). I also had to tell them how much it hurt, on a scale of 1-10 (it was a 7 then went up to 8, whereas before they started my pain was about a 2.5). I don't think they brought me up except for the once, and I could tell there were a few differences in the pain. I think they must have been testing different discs.

My boyfriend said that when they wheeled me back out, I was thanking everyone for helping me. I did tell the anesthesiologist that fentanyl makes me sick, so they gave me something ahead of time to help with nausea.

After the discogram, I had to go over to the doctors office (right across the street) to have CT scan and x-rays. Then it was a stop at the pharmacy for some breakthrough pain meds.

Now I think I will go back to sleep. I have a headache, and on top of the pain from the discogram I am feeling pretty miserable.

Please excuse the spelling.
  • Endymion,
    Good luck with your discogram today. I hope it goes well for you, and that it gives you some answers.

Cathy
  • advertisement
  • I am less stiff now, and can get around a little better. I have limited myself to staying in bed most of the time. That first day my boyfriend even had to push me from behind, at the shoulder, to help me get out of bed. But now I can get out by myself, like normal.

I am still having what feels like nerve pain in my legs and hips. I guess the nerves were really irritated from the disc pressure.

Today, I plan on getting up some more, and moving around a bit. Probably just enough to take a shower and make my way downstairs to make coffee ;) , it's been 2 days now since I've had coffee. I think that may have contributed to my headache the other day.

And I want to wish good luck to Endymion, on their discogram today.
  • Glad to hear you're doing better, Treefrog.

I had my discogram this morning. After reading so many scary stories here, I was pretty nervous, but actually it turned out to be not as bad as I thought it would be.

After a long wait (to do a blood test, get an IV started, give me antibiotics, etc.) they took me into the room and got me set up. The procedure itself took about an hour. Getting the needles into place was about the same as getting an ESI. They gave me a very little dose of versed (sp??) to help me get through it, and locals for the shots.

When the doc put pressure into L3-L4, I didn't react at all. (I didn't realize he'd done it.)

L4-L5 was painful, but bearable.

L5-S1 was a different story. Going in, the needle brushed a nerve. (The doc said the nerve was not in its normal position b/c the disc at that level is pancaked.) I just about jumped off the table at that point. It was a definite 10 on the pain scale. But he backed the needle out right away, and the pain stopped.

He told me had had to do some fancy "trigonometry" to get around the nerve, but he did it. It hurt like hell when he finally got into the disc and pressurized it. He immediately injected lidocaine, though.

Afterward, they gave me fentenal (sp??) and took me for a CT scan. My doc told me L4-5 looks "crappy," and L5-S1 looked "even crappier."

Bottom line, it's a two level ALIF for me in January, as we thought. This test basically ruled out the need for a third level fusion.

I'm sore now, and that's with painkillers and the lidocaine. I imagine tomorrow will be a rough day.

Going back to bed now.
  • So glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as you thought, and very happy to hear that it is only the 2 discs so you can go ahead with surgery. I have to wait for my appt with the surgeon, on the 15th, to find out what my options are. I do have an appt with my PM doc (the one that did the discogram) on the 12th, but she told me she won't be able to tell me what the test means as far as surgery. I do hope that she will at least be able to tell me a little about the results, like which discs were causing pain.

I hope your recovery is going well. I was feeling a bit better on Friday morning. My boyfriends car was at the shop, he had a friend help him drop it off, but then it was time to pick it up again. I thought I would be okay driving just the few miles back from the shop. It was awful, the pain from my waist down was intense, and I was crying by the time I got home. So now I am trying to get back to the same point that I was on Friday.

My advice, take it easy for at least 3-4 days. Even if you feel better, don't risk doing anything that will put you back in pain. In other words, don't do what I did.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.