advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Any good experiences with ACDF

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    No

Thank you for asking.
  • I just had my first post-op appt with my NS and my fusion is healing "textbook perfect". He increased my weight limit from 10 lbs to 50lbs and said I should even be able to be skiing (powder, not bumps) by Feb or March. I'm totally off my pain meds, unless I do something really physical during the day and then I'll take tylenol or 1 tramadol or 1/2 of a 7.5 hydrocodone. I even spent last weekend partying in Vegas and managed to keep up with my pals, minus the roller coasters.

So there are good outcomes out there....good luck!
  • advertisement
  • Like Rivertime, I am also 8 weeks post-op.
    I had a 3 level ACDF C4-C7.
    I'm back to work, starting PT on Friday.
    I still have some back spasms and still have to take Soma once in a while.
    But the surgery was a complete success!!
  • libby,

heres my 4wk story

4 wks post op acdf level 2

well its been 4wks since surgery and doing great as far as i read im one of the lucky ones. since i didnt know of my problem until july this year.dealt with arm pain and shoulder pain for several yrs. after surgery yes my throat was burning,shoulders and neck were in severe pain.(due to the position they put you in for the procedure) couldnt swallow. but from reading all info i expected it. this wasnt a 100% fix nor a 1oo% pain free fix.when i woke up in recovery my mind was already racing with fear and i started moving my hands and feet to make sure they worked and they did. once i got in my room i wanted water and continued drinking a lot of it to sooth my troat. swallowing food was hard. forced myself to do it though. was up walking after a couple of hours and wasnt going to sit on my butt the whole time. first week was rough sleeping slept sideways against recliner back until neck wasnt hurting as much.by the second week i was able to sleep on side with the pillows leveling my head with back. mind you i have the hard collar on. third week i was starting to walk every other day and since i walk 10+miles a day being a mail man it felt good to walk.i still dont push it though. no lifting more than a milk jug i have been active all my life its hard resisting to do things. i know this is a long healing process and i have to except it. no matter how stir crazy im gonna get.
    i will tell people who have neck pains, back pains and arm pains that dont go away in time or with physical therapy should get it checked out dont ignore the pain like me or most of the people in here. ignoring it is the worst thing you can do. if i had checked this out several yrs ago i might have saved a disc who knows. if you have to have surgery go in with your head high dont fret or worry. to the point of a panic attack. being nervous is normal. just before i went into surgery i started to make jokes with docs and nurses. it breaks the ice and relaxes me. im satisfied with my outcome and was surprised i had more problems with my body due to my pinched nerves. i sensitivity loss in my hands and feet. arm pains in both shoulders and arms to elbow. severe leg aches and wobbly legs causing me st stagger. also severe muscle twitches everywhere.
    after surgery most pain gone left arm has some since i had pain there for several yrs. legs dont hurt,and sensitivity is back.so dont think the worse. in some cases i can understand there is no pain relief. everyone is different and cant judge anyone with the pains they have or had. you yourself knows what you have wrong. let your doctor know and take action and dont wait. i myself plan to go back to work get back with my life and keep my head high no matter what. hope i didnt bore you with my rambling, but when no one is around to listen. i have my computer
  • phxchele I am having the same surgery you had the same 3 levels good to know that you are feeling good. And CLiffy glad to know you are doing well too. I am about 4 weeks away from surgery and have been having a couple of bad days where I was wishing I didn't have to wait till January 13th but it will come soon enough!
  • advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,609
    I have had 2 ACDF Surgeries (C5/C6 and C6/C7) at different times. For me, I had much better success and recovery from these cervical surgeries then I did with my lumbar surgeries.
    The pain and discomfort I had prior to the ACDF surgeries was immediately eliminated by surgery. I did have the second ACDF surgery 4 years after my first basically because of the overall instability of my spine, part genetics and part me not doing all the things I should have

The single most important piece of advice I will give anyone who is faced with spinal surgery is to:

A) Understand your limitations and adhere to them
    B) Be careful not to OVERDo
    C) Continue with any set of exercises that were given to you

Follow these ABC's and you will have a better chance of being pain free and not returning for any additional spinal surgeries.

Of course there are never guarantees, but it is your power to control what you can and that is so important. The rest is not in your hands
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.