There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to

Learn More

New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Let the fun begin, I have arrived!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,008
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions

After months and months of lurking I have decided to finally take the plunge and join up.

My story goes a little something like this... for years I couldn't sleep on my back without waking up in amazing amounts of pain. I blamed it on a bad mattress and moved on with my life. In June of this year, I took a sleeping pill and ended up sleeping on my back for a full night. The next two weeks I couldn't walk. I would shuffle out to my car to see a chiropractor and even steering was too painful on my lower back.

Chiropractor #1 was a quack. He kept adjusting me and never took an xray. In August I finally caved and went to one of my friends (also a chiro) and he took xrays. Once the xray developed he referred me to a surgeon and said that he didn't feel comfortable adjusting my lower back until I had it looked at. The diagnosis is Spondylolithesis, Grade 2, L5-S1 with pars defect. My main symptom is nerve pain and leg weakening.

My surgeon laid out my options: TLIF - one level using BMP or we could try conservative methods. My disc is essentially gone at this point. My condition is degenerative.

I decided to go ahead with the surgery since it's had such an impact on my life. I am a consultant and travel for a living. The pain is at a point where it is starting to interfere. IT was originally scheduled for 12/3. I chickened out, felt too rushed so I cancelled.

Right now I am planning on having it in March or April. I was hoping to hold out but am not for the following reasons... even with getting deep tissue massages and some traction therapy, the condition is worsening quick noticably. I can't stand or walk for more than 1.5 hours, holiday shopping was SO very painful. If I fold laundry then I am in intense pain for 2-3 weeks. I am on Darvocet currently. The doc wanted to give me something stronger but I asked for something weak b/c I have to think for my job and I can't be fuzzy. I do statistical modeling.

We'll see how it goes. Any words of advice would be appreciated. I am feeling a bit defeated. It's all so sudden. I am only 28 and feel like an invalid.


  • You are doing the right thing by researching your options. Surgery holds no guarantees and should be left as a final resort. Some folks come out of surgery in worse pain then they were in preop. Once a fusion is done, it can not be undone so it is very wise to get more than one opinion and exhaust all conservative options. Some pain meds actually do not make you fuzzy headed. I am on opiates and have had pretty good results without feeling too dopey or sleepy. You might want to click on the Treatments tab at the top of this page to learn more. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. You have come to a great place for understanding and support. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.
  • :) hi! :H and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am glad you finally decided to jump in and join us!! you might be surprised to find that some of the strongest medications can leave you feeling pretty normal, once you adjust. the main advantage is feeling less pain. =D> time released morphine is one such medication. you might consider this type of meds and talk to your doctor. :-C also, you would only be taking medication 2 or 3 times a day instead of the many times you do with short acting meds. have you gotten a second opinion? :? it is so important especially if surgery is advised. good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • I had fusion and so far so good but its no picnic. I am 5 weeks in. I did not know if I was doing it until it was time to go to Hospital and found myself getting in the car. it's scary and personal. I'm only 41 and had pain for years (22) when it traveled down my leg I knew the time had come. I suffered with sciatica and beyond for 5 mos. Best of luck young lady, go with strength, Ed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.