There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,002
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm Chris, I'm a 22 year old who's been having back problems sence june 3rd of this year, I've been to 2 ER's and seen 5 (ER docs included) it's taken Me untill october to have xray's and an mri done, which shows that My L4-L5 disk is bulgeing at 4mm an My L5-S1 is bulging at 11mm to the left, pushing on some nerves, My primary doctor released Me on the 30th for the 2nd time after stating there's nothing else medicaly he can do, I've been through PT for about 3 months, My PT has told Me I've lost a great deal of mobility, but thankfuly have gotten alittle of it back. I found this site while surfing and wanted to join, hoping that someone might be able to offer some advice on what I should do, out of the 6 months I've been dealing with this My Doctor has refused to give Me medication for a good 80% of the time I was seeing him and was hoping to find out what My options are.... I'm honestly scared about whats going on with My life at the moment, The ER Doctor I seen the other night sat down and showed Me the MRI results and said that I should look for a new primary care doctor and sit down with a surgoun to discuss My options, (ended up in er because I got a tingle down My right leg and within about 1 1/2 minuts My foot was dead a sleep and it scared Me) so it's nice to meet everyone and I look forward to having some good conversations, Thank you


  • Welcome to Spine Health. I think that the advice the ER doc gave you sounds very appropriate based on what you have been through and what has and has not been done for you. Glad to hear that PT has helped you some, that is so very very important to any kind of healing process. Hang in there, keep a good attitude and don't settle for being released without any further help.

  • I'm not a doctor but do have the same injury with a disk tear included. I would ditch the doctor your seeing as it's pretty evident he has no plans to have you try conservative treatment first and medicate you somewhat so your at least comfortable. I see a primary physician for my meds and a spine ortho-surgeon to monitor my treatments and disk progress.

    Even if it's determined you need surgery, you need a surgeon that cares about you and actually practices medicine in the real world.
  • advertisement
  • Your PCP should refer you to a pain management Dr. I would look for another Dr if he's not helping you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with the others, find a new primary. Maybe you should consider getting an opinion from an ortho and a neuro. Just my advice. I suffered with my back pain for years before I finally switched primary docs because mine wouldn't listen to me either and wouldn't order tests. As soon as I got new doc he ordered xray and referred me to ortho.
  • Welcome to Spine Health :H I agree with everyone here. Lose that PcP since he dumped you twice and go see another one who will refer you to a spine specialist or pain clinic. You can't get continuity in care from an ER doc and you need treatment ASAP based on your MRI report.
  • advertisement
  • I wonder if you should maybe look for a PM doc. A Pain Management doc will not only help you with meds but there are many more options that they can offer. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.