I was scheduled for a surgery date- Feb 24th & I've been waiting since Dec, remaining hopeful & getting myself "ready" My surgeon proposed to do a PLIF, Lumbar Fusion, Laminectomy, Pedicle Screw Instrumentation & possible XLIF. I have spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis & scoliosis. I went to see my surgeon the other day for another surgical consultation & he informed me that he saw something on a longer film & would be necessary to do an ALIF instead of a PLIF. This would mean using cages in the front & rods & screws in the back. I also understand my flexibility will change from the waist down or below wherever the rods are placed.
I'm good at worrying about things but now, my surgeon tells me he cannot do the ALIF until I lose some weight because it may create complications. My Feb. date for surgery was cancelled & I'm feeling really disappointed. I have to see a weight management doctor when I'm done with my tests.
I have 2 herniated disks, have been in a lot of pain & was looking forward to putting this behind me & getting on with my life.
I've gained weight since I haven't been working plus I have edema (water retention) in my legs, ankles & feet. Dr.'s aren't sure where this is coming from. I'm going for a cat scan w/contrast of my abdomen & pelvis tomorrow morning. Also having bloodwork- my sugar is fine, checking my thyroid next. Also was advised to see cardiologist for the edema.
I'm writing because I need to vent & hoping someone can offer kind words.
Thank you for "listening"