advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,008
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
hi im kit kat
im having a L4-5 L5-S1 transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion on march 30 can anyone give me insights on this?
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input. :? good luck as you head into your procedure. :D Jenny :)
  • I am having the same surgery on March 24, so maybe I can give you insight after next Tuesday. I will give it a try when I am recoving.
    I will be about a week ahead of you in the recovery process and I wish you all the best and welcome to Spine-Health. You have found a great website and a great group of people.
    The most I know if from others here and my doctor. I am very anxious and nervous, but everyone tells me that is completely normal. But it does not feel very nice everyday. I am ready to get Tuesday over with so I can get to recovery and get my life back.
    If you would like PM and we can share in the recovery together. There is a great list of what you will need, on this site, go to the search and put in items needed for surgery and recovery. I think you will find it very helpful, I have.
    Take care,
    Stacey
  • advertisement
  • Hope to tell u good things by the time u go in!! Everyone is helful, look at the post op list, very insightful and also before.Baby wipes to trash bags. lol Lots of wishes, Kellie
  • Hope to tell u good things by the time u go in!! Everyone is helful, look at the post op list, very insightful and also before.Baby wipes to trash bags. lol Lots of wishes, Kellie
  • advertisement
  • hi kit kati an stacey im new here an im hopeing that all your healing an spirit guides are with u in your surgeries an that thay aid a quick recoverie for u .....pls let us know as i also carnt go on an have decided to have an opp an have disc replacement an to others fused good luck girls xxxxnatasha
  • Hi, I had the same surgery on the same levels last summer. For more technical information you can find it here on the Treatments tab and click on Surgeries. The videos are interactive and easy to understand. I have 2 titanium rods, 6 screws and cage replacing the disc that was taken out. I spent 4 days in the hospital, 3 in Icu. Most people were already going about walking with the help of a physical therapist. They let you go home once they get you off the PCA machine (delivers IV morphine, etc)and have you back on oral pain meds. You also need to be able to go to the bathroom with help of course. The pain can be intense and the recovery long, and you have to be committed to following up with your surgeon and following his recommendations. You may be allowed to drive in 2 weeks or so, and they'll start you on outpatient therapy. How long you'll need pain meds will depend on your progress and how your doctor feels about prescribing it. Some may delegate your pain care to a pain clinic, it this can be helpful if you have pain longer than expected. Always remember that with back surgery there is a chance that you will get better, maybe remain the same, or get worse. There are risks and complication with every surgery, so please go over this with your doctor and research everything that has to do with your condition and the surgical technique. I hope it works out for you and you get to recover completely from this surgery. Take care
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.