advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Why all the restrictions on scs permant vs trial

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Management
Just reading posts on scs and it seems that you can resume your life like you did after a trial is placed. But, when you have the perm. one it's like hell at first. Off work for 8-12 weeks no arm lifting on the stories go. Can you tell me how this is??? Tell me also how you did both at trial and after the perm. one was placed. You can also pm me. Thanks my first appt. is the 17th of April and the more I look into this It seems like I find out more.
advertisement

Comments

• The difference is that there's no worrying about the temp leads scaring into place. It is a given they will move as they are only tacked to the skin with a few stitches and are only in for a few days.

Once the permanent one is placed, you want the leads to scar in, and if you move around too much you will keep that from happening or you will cause the leads to move and scar into the wrong place. So if you want the proper coverage, you obey the "rules".

There's no reason you can't go back to work a few days later, unless you have a job that requires you to lift, bend or do much twisting.

"C"
  • As "C" says, no real worry at all about the trial as that lead only needs to stay put for a few days. You don't want to lose placement on the perm one. That would take another surgery to reposition or replace it.

I to dread the 6-8 weeks of not doing anything, but I want the best coverage I can get so I am going to do it.
    In fact I plan to ask my PM to put down 8 weeks in writing for my work place if I can get him to do it. Medtronic recomends 8 weeks to be sure. I really want to be sure. I spent 15 weeks in a minerva brace sternum to chin.
    If I can make it through that what's another 8 weeks? Piece of cake :D (Ok, I'm not really looking forward to it at all) I'm not sure at all if my work will let me be there under the 5lb and no BLT restrictions. It will be whatever it needs to be at this point.
  • advertisement
  • Ok I am a nursing aide. CNA I work for hospice and do home visits which includes bending and sometimes lifting. I do bath visits 5-6 pt's a day. At this point I do only pt's that walk or I do a bed bath which is even worse on my back with the constant bending. Please tell me also why is the pain not much on the trial and lots of pain for the perm. This is what I have read. I just got home from my PM Dr. who I like but is a total as-!! He is done with me he is limited so, he knows about me going to mayo on the 17th of april. I just got taken for fifty bucks my copay. He MA told me he was going to redo the RF which was not the case. Well, I am pretty pissed but, need to let it go. I know now that this is it. Dr. told me about that test to check where the pain is coming from I know that test hurts really bad he told me that the scs is good but, he talks a good talk but when asked questions he is like gotta go.
  • For the trial, the leads go through 2 tiny holes in your skin, which are made using an epidural needle.

For the permanent with percutaneous leads, they have to:

1) make an incision to lead insertion site so that they can anchor the wires to muscle tissue and reduce the movement. That can be anywhere from 2-6 inches long, depending on the amount of fat tissue in the area.

2) make a second 2-3 inches incision at the pocket site, remove some tissue, and irrigate it vigourously with antibiotic solution, to prepare for the battery pack

3) shove a long metal tool to under your skin to make tunnel from the lead incision site on your spinal column to the pocket site so they can run the lead wire from point A to point B. The tunnel my leads went through is about 26 inches long.

For the permanent with paddle leads, step 1 is modified to include a laminectomy, so they cut through muscle tissue at the lead insertion site and open you up wide enough to cut off a piece of bone to make room for the lead to slide in.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I didn't know that the permanent surgery would be that intense. Hopefully they can go with the percutaneous leads for me as I really do not want another laminectomy. For the relief I have with my trial it will be worth anything. I have been thru enough surgeries over my years. Oh well it is what it is.

I did understand the 2-3 inch incision for the battery pack and tunneling under the skin for the lead wires.

Is your battery pack in the front? 26" is very long. That would be from my neck to the bottom of my butt! I was guessing maybe 8" if put in my hip.
  • advertisement
  • My extension wires run from my neck to my butt. I have a very long torso and like BionicWoman it required LOTS of tunneling. The swelling went down after a week or two and it was no big deal.

"C"
    Doc says the he will use percutaneous leads with a small incision. Then tunnel the leads down about 8" to where they will place my battery pack. I will have the the ANS Eon Mini™ model.

I miss the trial unit and asked if I could keep it until the permenant is in.
  • Botz, I'm glad to hear you are getting a permanent version and the trial went well! I expect you may be done before I am...
    That it worked so well for me. And the fact that the permenant implant will be fairly soon. With all the hurdles we have to go thru I can't believe that I managed to get on the schedule so quickly. I hate sitting around waiting for all the steps to happen. Just get on with it already!

I had to go back on my breakthru meds. Last night was one of the beast nights for me! Up from about 12:30am. Pain finally settled down early this morning.

Have a pain free day!
  • I have found the week after my trial to be BRUTAL :''(

It is like someone handed you big ole bottle of pain relief, the "as near to perfect" med as you will ever find! :X

Then, they got mad at you X( for no reason :O

So, They take it away and leave you hurting with no medicine!

:T

I hurt so bad yesterday that even though Dr. Shrink had given me a script for Ambien I went straight home to my Norco.
    I did not even get the script filled. I have to do that today.
    I have not slept well in a long time now, still yesterday the pain won.

I thought "the rain is made of razorblades"...

Today is not quite so bad, I am ever so slightly in less pain. <:P <br />
    Next Wednesday, I'm going to Disney! :H (I hope I can handle it! OK)
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.