advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

cervical myelopathy

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Greetings, I am not sure if i am posting this in the correct forum but I have a few questions on cervical myelopathy. I had a ACDF in 07 at C6 C7 and most recently a ACDF @ C5C6 in Nov 08. I was diagnosed with cervical myelopathy with long track signs(not sure what that means). I have showed some slow progress but the left arm weakness persists along with my legs and bladder issues. The NS says it will improve but takes a long time upwards to 2 years.Has anyone ever had bladder issues with myelopathy???
I am also a little confused also because the NS leads me to believe that myelopathy can be reversed but my PT states there will be permanent damage.
Has anyone had experience with this before?
thank you, Bethy
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Bethy,
    I have not had surgery yet for my C5-6 hernia, and am still experiencing myelopathy in both arms and recently have begun having affects and symptoms in my legs and feet of tingling and the same "numb" feeling as in my arms and hands. At my initial appointment with the NS he stated that the myelopathy is not reversible and cannot be corrected or recovered from. My personal understanding is myelopathy is damage to the actual spinal cord, which cannot recover, while neuropathy affects the nerve roots and therefore it is possible to recover from. I don't know if this helps you. I hope your myelopathy and neuropathy both improve and you are feeling better sooner than later!!! :)
  • Bethy,
    I too have this lovely condition since 1997,Slipped on ice.
    As hard as this is to say, I’m sure its going to be even tougher to accept. It’s imperative that you accept what is, and go forward. .
    Yes ! you will improve, yes I too have bladder issues, and if they have you on narcotics that to will constipate, by the way ; they do not work on our condition. If you want you can read my story on the same post paulgla mentioned. Living with, cervical myelopathy My store
    The one thing you must know keep in mind” you are not alone!”
    We are here for you, You can PM us any time
    Keep smiling
    JJ from Montreal
  • advertisement
  • grandmesamom said:
    Greetings, I am not sure if i am posting this in the correct forum but I have a few questions on cervical myelopathy. I had a ACDF in 07 at C6 C7 and most recently a ACDF @ C5C6 in Nov 08. I was diagnosed with cervical myelopathy with long track signs(not sure what that means). I have showed some slow progress but the left arm weakness persists along with my legs and bladder issues. The NS says it will improve but takes a long time upwards to 2 years.Has anyone ever had bladder issues with myelopathy???
    I am also a little confused also because the NS leads me to believe that myelopathy can be reversed but my PT states there will be permanent damage.
    Has anyone had experience with this before?
    thank you, Bethy
    Bethy,
    Just thought I would post some of my thoughts and experience with cervical myelopathy. My NS has told me that my cervical spine looks like someone who has MS, except that we know how the damage occured to my spinal cord. My story covers the last year and a half, since November of 07 I have had 3 surgeries to help stop the progression of myelopathy, each surgery did what is was supposed to do, stop the progression. I am now fused at 4 levels(c3-c7) and have a total of 5 laminectomys from c3-c4, with the only hardware being the fusion surgeries. I still have symptoms of myelopathy, they seem to be not as bad since my last surgery 11 days ago, it is early but some of my bowl issues have cleared up, the numbness has changed that was in my left arm/hand, seems slightly less annoying, I still have hyperreflexia, clonus and babiniski reflex. The NS has not looked at those yet, I have noticed a slight improvement in balance, my drop foot has lessened, and it seems that my RLS may have been improved, of course it may be the oxy er is working on that, I will know this weekend if it is that, not taking it as of today. We are holding our breath right now, I will know more in 3 months according to my NS. Both my NS an OS told me many times that it can take up to three years for nerves to repair themselves, time is what it takes, as for my spinal cord what damage is there is done, until they can fix the cord itself, it probably will not heal. That could be what your PT means, nerves can heal but your spinal cord can not....Hope that my reply has helped you, you are not alone. I wish you well if you have any questions feel free to PM me if you want to. I am not a doctor, just a spinney that has been through a lot the last year and a half.

mark
  • Thanks for replying Mark but I am still confused. I understand that myelopathy is spinal cord damage. I had a central disc herniation at C5 C6 that caused spinal cord compression for 6 months before I finally found out that was my problem. The 1st NS I had said there was nothing wrong with me and entirely dismissed the radiologists diagnosis. I was so frustrated with the lack of care and concern that we sought a 2nd opinion . It was on the 2nd and then 3rd opinion that I found out i had a cord compression and ended up in surgery right away. My arms hurt and were weak. Is that myelopathy or is that nerve damage?
    I know I have nerve damage from the EMG . I also have gait problems like legs buckling ,leg weakness if i stand too long and urinary issues. I wonder as I read these posts what benefit the NS gets from sugar coating this for me. He makes it sound like its all reversible.
    Thanks for your input, bethy
  • So is he neurapathy caused from the myelopathy? The last diagnosis that the NS
    wrote was chronic myeloradiculapathy.
    This gets more confusing by the minute. I am almost 6 months post op and my arm is still weak and hurts. I have gotten some relief from lyrica recently so i hope that is encouraging news.
    Bethy
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.