advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Muscle tightness associated with cervical disc problems???

Comments

• MaggieP said:
    Are most masseuses trained in remedial massage? Living in a very small town out in the sticks, there are only a couple of massage therapists in town. Going out of town wouldn't gain anything, as then would have to drive back, undoing all the good :D Do they do a whole body type massage, or just concentrate on neck, back, and shoulders? Any info appreciated.
    No, most probably aren't trained in remedial massage.
    The usual one is just the relaxation or feel good massage, which anyone can do with a little training, but it won't find and fix your problems.
    Look for one that offers sports massage, as that may be the same or similar under a different name.
    They would need to have attended a massage school and qualified.
    They will treat whatever you want done.
    I stick with shoulders and neck, but the last time she did a test and found my glutes weren't working, putting strain on my calves and lower back. But that is an exercise fix.
    A day after my Thursday massage my mood suddenly lifted and I felt bright and able to think. Finished up stripping the dishwasher and cleaning it.
    I realised then that I had the same result from other massages-they just lift the head and neck tension right away.
    That's when you feel so good that you overdo it, trying to catch up!

• I am SUFFERING from the same symptoms that you describe only on the right side. And I am very sorry to hear that you share this pain because it is definitely something that I would not wish on anyone. The best relief that I have found is heat, heat and more heat. PT tried massage, heat and ultrasound which would help a little while they were doing it but it would come back with a vengeance by the time I made the 10 minute drive home! I hate my TENS unit so no help there. I finally gave in and let my PM do the cervical injections (I had horrible results with lumbar/caudal injections so I was very reluctant) and they brought instant relief after the very first injection! I had the complete series of 3 injections and went for a month without the awful headache! But gradually by the end of the second month I was right back where I started. I'm not a doctor and I would never think of telling anyone what to do, but for me personally it was well worth it and I will gladly do it again when the 6 months is up.
  • advertisement
  • delta_dawn67 said:
    I am SUFFERING from the same symptoms that you describe only on the right side. And I am very sorry to hear that you share this pain because it is definitely something that I would not wish on anyone. The best relief that I have found is heat, heat and more heat. PT tried massage, heat and ultrasound which would help a little while they were doing it but it would come back with a vengeance by the time I made the 10 minute drive home! I hate my TENS unit so no help there. I finally gave in and let my PM do the cervical injections (I had horrible results with lumbar/caudal injections so I was very reluctant) and they brought instant relief after the very first injection! I had the complete series of 3 injections and went for a month without the awful headache! But gradually by the end of the second month I was right back where I started. I'm not a doctor and I would never think of telling anyone what to do, but for me personally it was well worth it and I will gladly do it again when the 6 months is up.
    aw sorry to hear you are going through this too! and not finding much relief. What I wouldn't give for one month relief. My dad said no to the epidural now. I'm gonna try PT again, but omg I'm in so much pain. Now my muscles are pinching (or at least it feels like pinching) my shoulder muscles, scalp, and just below my shoulders on my back. It is so bad. Sometimes Soma plus tylenol with codiene 3 gives me one to two hrs pain free, but I feel all drugged which isn't good. I can't believe this, I feel like bawling.

Man, can you tell my dad that it helped you j/k:(
  • Tell your dad that it did help me, and it wasn't just a month.

Steroids used to work best on me in the first few years. The first line was the medrol dosepak (prednisone) which you take for only 6 days. That gave me totally PAIN FREE relief for a year and a half. Once the pain crept back we did it again, and I got another PAIN FREE year out of it. But it didn't work the third time, I hear that it's like that. I don't know why but it does become less effective over time. Anyway, if you haven't tried that yet, ask your doctor if you would be a good candidate.

Then we moved on to the epidurals. I also got a little over a year pain free with that, we tried it again, not pain free anymore, but the pain went down several notches to manageable for more than a year. It's only the last two years that my pain has been like a roller coaster and the past six months where it's totally out of control.
  • DonnaJay said:
    Tell your dad that it did help me, and it wasn't just a month.

Steroids used to work best on me in the first few years. The first line was the medrol dosepak (prednisone) which you take for only 6 days. That gave me totally PAIN FREE relief for a year and a half. Once the pain crept back we did it again, and I got another PAIN FREE year out of it. But it didn't work the third time, I hear that it's like that. I don't know why but it does become less effective over time. Anyway, if you haven't tried that yet, ask your doctor if you would be a good candidate.

Then we moved on to the epidurals. I also got a little over a year pain free with that, we tried it again, not pain free anymore, but the pain went down several notches to manageable for more than a year. It's only the last two years that my pain has been like a roller coaster and the past six months where it's totally out of control.
    Thanks so much for the info! I think he may let me do it, depending on how much it cost now.
    I am rather nervous about it, but if it is the only thing they can do , I think it could be good for me.
    I'm going to talk to my neurologist this week and make sure he thinks it totally will help.
    For some odd reason now my right shoulder feels pinched and started hurting three weeks ago and is now getting worse, and the pain is settling where the neck and shoulder meet, and up the right side. I can't lay on my left side without my shoulder feeling pinched. I wonder what this could be now. :(
  • advertisement
  • EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• learning about trigger point therapy has really helped me reduce my pain. I have tennis balls everywhere now and won't leave home without one! As they say, it hurts so good!!
  • It's normal to have really tight muscles esp after herniating a disc. My therapist told me long ago that my hamstring muscles in my right leg which has permanent nerve damage is super tight. I also have trigger points in my lower back but I won't let anyone mess with them because they will bring on more pain and muscle spasms. I used to take Soma but I was switched to Zanaflex, and I can take up to 8mg 3x's daily for severe muscle spasms.
  • I have the same issues. I have congenital cervical stenosis w/3 bulging discs. At least that was what my MRI said over a yr ago. Since then things have gotten progressively worse for me. Anyway, I have constant muscle tightness. I'm on Soma, but they only help so much. I want to look into deep tissue massage or remedial massage here soon. I tried traction and had to stop cause I started getting TMJ. I can't do the ESI's cause I had a bad reaction to the Medrol pack. They won't do surgery on me cause I'm only 29 and they want to do a fushion, so my choices in treatment are extremely limited. The muscles are just overcompensating for a weak neck. I'd look into massage if you can.
  • I experience daily what you described, Butterfly. It's not just sitting for me but standing, as well. Though, sitting is worse.

I've been cranking up my abdominal core strengthening exercises - because it honestly feels like I'm holding myself erect with my neck and shoulders. Neck & shoulders just can't take the stress from being upright!

I quit neck PT strengthening exercises because of the left sided head and facial pain it caused. I deal with enough of THAT already. I stretch the muscles out but won't do more than that.

Let me know if you figure it out.

regards,
    jas
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.