advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Real Pain and Real Psych or Brain/Body Links

Comments

• It has been very helpful to read these posts. I relate to so much of what has been said here, having been an very successful independent business woman for so many years.

Now my life has changed, and I cannot longer do many of the things I would have done otherwise.

As a trained coach whose job is to inspire people, I tend to hold myself to rather outrageously high standards concerning my own ability to cope and inspire others when I am struggling with significant pain.

I also have found that because people don't see your chronic pain-they quickly forget how emotionally and physically wearing, stressful and depressing it can be. I think chronic pain has strong physical and mental components, and both aspects need to be dealt with appropriately.

One of the challenges, however, is making good choices about treatment, medication, therapy and alternative treatments- everyone seems to have a new answer, treatment or theory. It can be endless, as well as financially and emotionally overwhelming.

My husband just wants me to "get over it"- so I don't talk about it very much with anyone any longer. One reason I want to participate on this forum now. I find that most people just can't relate so I just keep my struggles to myself.

If you have cancer, or something that physically shows up on the outside of your body, it seems easier for people to acknowledge it and perhaps cut a bit of slack. Chronic pain without relief is also a huge struggle we live with every day but is invisible to most people.

I read about other people's stories and know that I am fortunate compared to what others have gone through. Your courage inspires me, and helps me to have hope- it also fills me with compassion. I don't feel so alone, so thank you for sharing your stories.

Thanks and I send my support to you as well,

Wendy

This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.