There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites:,,, for medical articles and videos.

What Kind of Doctor

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,000
What kind of Dr do I need to see for Sciatica? thanks


  • Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. Typically an individual has to start out by going to their general practitioner for an initial evaluation and then from there a referral can be given to the spine specialist. The important first step is getting in to see the doc for a hands on evaluation and to treat any acute symptoms.

  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,125

    for a spine-health site introduction, click on :

    welcome to spine-health

    if you have any questions, feel free to contact (pm) any one of the moderators here priestess , jeauxbert, bruce , paulgla, dilauro
    in addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the authority team haglandc , tamtam , neck of steel , cath111

    the spine-health web site offers so much more than these member forums.
    check the various tabs at the top of the spine-health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

    please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is not
    formal medical advise. you should always consult with your doctors.

    to get back to the forums, you can always click on forum home

    please feel free to contact me at or send me a message

    follow what "c" told you. there are normally two doctors and perhaps several steps before you get down to the root of your problem.
    your primary care physician will do a clinical examination to see what your problem may be.
    based on those results:

    -> off for some physical therapy and some nsaids
    to try to correct the situation

    -> sending you to a specialist (ie neurologist or neurosurgeon ) who should be able to hone more into the problem.

    if it is warranted, either of the above doctors could setup a mri for you to get more diagnostic information.

    most of the type when a person suffers from sciatica pain, its a result of a nerve in the spinal cord that is being impacted by a disc.
    in milder cases, it may just be inflaming the nerve causing the pain, to a bigger problem is a disc is impinging a nerve root.

    so many people today suffer from sciatica pain and so many never need surgery. there are so many conservative treatments that you can go for that might be your answer
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.