advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is it normal to feel tired a lot?

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 64
My back injury was 3 weeks ago and I still feel like I need a lot of extra rest. Just wondering if this is normal or should I force myself to be more productive. I have 4 fractured lumbar vertebrae, spondo, 2 bulging disks, DDD and the hole where the sciatic nerves travels through is smushed making it painful and hard to walk.
advertisement

Comments

• :D :D :D

My personal opinion only -- of course you feel tired -- your poor body HURTS! Don't mean to sound flip in my reply, I just smiled after reading everything that's wrong with you and you questioning why you were tired (LOL!)

Also, depending on what meds you're taking, that will also affect your energy. Your activity level should be discussed with your doctor.

I know many of us are like a "deer in the headlights" when we see a doctor and forget to ask so many things. You might call the nurse at the doctor's office and leave a message.

If you're still working with your injuries, that's sure to zap your energy.

Be sure to drink plent of fluids if you're taking lots of meds -- hydration will help with the fatigue.

It takes a long time for back issues to resolve, in most cases, so don't feel weird about being tired. I suffered with sciatica for many months and it absolutely slayed me with fatigue.

Take care and hang in there,

Judy
  • Thank you both. I am wearing a brace and there is talk of surgery once the bone heals from the fractures. The doctor also said I may have traction once the bone heals. And I may take prednisone but so far I haven't.

I am relieved to hear I am not just lazy!
  • advertisement
  • When I first injured my back, a long time ago. I took 30 days and then went slowly back to working. I had been let go, from my job at the time, but I was young.

The second and third times - I took 60 to 90 days to just walk a little, and rest. I did not do the TV thing too much as it hurt to get up from the couch.

This spring and summer, I took the whol last 6 months and began a regimen of rest and exercise. I can take about 10 to 20 minutes at a time, and nothing very strenuous.

I have built myself back up, and am sleeping well, most nights. I still have a night or two, that pain keeps me from sleeping, but it is better.!

Cheers C45
  • When I first injured my back, a long time ago. I took 30 days and then went slowly back to working. I had been let go, from my job at the time, but I was young.

The second and third times - I took 60 to 90 days to just walk a little, and rest. I did not do the TV thing too much as it hurt to get up from the couch.

This spring and summer, I took the whol last 6 months and began a regimen of rest and exercise. I can take about 10 to 20 minutes at a time, and nothing very strenuous.

I have built myself back up, and am sleeping well, most nights. I still have a night or two, that pain keeps me from sleeping, but it is better.!

Cheers C45
  • You are mentally strong person to deal with it that long and have not just give up.

gweenie, I hear you. No one really understands and honestly it should not matter.

-js
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.