advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar MRI Showing disc bulging, arthritis

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 345
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
I started having noticeable lower back pain a few months ago. I had MRI's which show a couple of discs bulging and some arthritis. My Neuro-surgeon (who had also done a 4 level cervical laminectomy on my last April) said I will probably need surgery within a year. He doesn't think I need surgery quite yet.

That is fine with me right now. With my current insurance I would have to pay 20 percent of a hospital stay. With my employer (before I quit) all I had to pay was $200.00 for admittance to the hospital. The rest was covered 100 percent. It was a very large employer who could afford to cover employees at that level.

I know I will be needing future cervical spine surgeries as well. I have discs bulging in my cervical spine. I'm just wondering what others here may have experienced in this regard. If you need both lumbar and cervical surgeries, how do surgeons handle this?

Thanks much,

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear that you're now having lumbar problems. I'm in the same boat you are - I had a 3-lvl ACDF last year and am now having lumbar issues, with facet problems and disc bulg at L4/5.

From what I understand, surgeons will look at which problem is in the most need of resolution and take care of it first. So it's need vs. choice.

What treatment is your surgeon going to try before surgery? Injections or any other conservative method?

Cath
  • The problem with surgery is that it doesn't address the overall problem which is faulty biomechanics. Stabilizing the lumbar spine doesn't fix the neck and vice versa. You should discuss ways to restore you balance and mechanics before getting an operation.

Spam link removed by forum Authority Cath111. We do not permit spam links on Spine-Health.
  • advertisement
  • Cath111 said:
    Sorry to hear that you're now having lumbar problems. I'm in the same boat you are - I had a 3-lvl ACDF last year and am now having lumbar issues, with facet problems and disc bulg at L4/5.

From what I understand, surgeons will look at which problem is in the most need of resolution and take care of it first. So it's need vs. choice.

What treatment is your surgeon going to try before surgery? Injections or any other conservative method?

Cath
    Hi Cath:

My surgeon did send me for physical therapy. My back doctor did as well at one point. I've had physical therapy, injections, over a period of several years now. Most of this was in my cervical area.

My surgeon basically said there was no more he could do for me at the present time. Right now I'm just waiting for my SSDI claim to complete. When I'm on Medicare, my wife's Insurance through her employer and a supplemental plan I'll see if surgery is warranted again. I do swim at the local YMCA and ride the exercise bike. I can't afford going to physical therapy anymore at this time.

They wanted me coming in to physical therapy 3 times a week, $20.00 my share of cost each visit. I could not keep up the $60.00 a week cost.

Thanks much for your comments: I do sincerely hope you recover quickly from your ACDF surgery.

Ken
    Greyeagle
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.