advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I've joined the "Post Op" Club

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,000
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,

I finally got my single level ACDF c-5/6 today. I've been out of surgery for a couple of hours ago. Its better than I expected except for incision pain and shoulder pain. I can't seem to get a comfortable position for the shoulder pain.

I'm pretty sure I will be going home tomorrow morning.
advertisement

Comments

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,361
    That you've got the surgery behind you and now can focus on recovering. Please take it easy and don't overdo it to soon. I'm sure the shoulder pain is probably from the position you were in for surgery. Please keep us posted on your recovery.

Take care
    Debbie
  • scottpw25 said:
    Hi All,

I finally got my single level ACDF c-5/6 today. I've been out of surgery for a couple of hours ago. Its better than I expected except for incision pain and shoulder pain. I can't seem to get a comfortable position for the shoulder pain.

I'm pretty sure I will be going home tomorrow morning.
    Scott,

Great to see you are doing well and going home soon. :-) If you're like a lot of us, your pain will subside soon. Take-er-easy and heal up. Don't push it! Take care. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the messages! My two year old son sure did appreciate the pudding, jello, and juice that was waiting for me in my room.
    I guess the hard part begins when I get home and have to keep myself from doing all the things I want to do.
  • Scott,

As you heal, you will find some odd pains near the base of your neck, and maybe a bit towards the shoulders. My NS told me that was the neck adjusting to the restriction from the fusion - re-adjusting. It goes away after a bit. :-) And yeah...when you get home, that is where it is hard "NOT" to do all matter of things! Just take it easy and don't push yourself. Take care. *HUG*

Brenda
  • Hi Scott,

Congratulations on getting through your operation, I won't bother you until you get well, but I have a few questions about your pre-op situation, I have an ACDF and ADR replacement coming in Jan 2010 and I feel much like you did before hand. Hope all goes well in your recovery.

Lynny
  • advertisement
  • Hi Scott. Congrats on finally being postop and I hope you're going home today. Sorry about your sore shoulder, like the other said, it's probably from your position during surgery.

If you're anything like I was, you'll be gung-ho when you get home but a day or two later you'll feel like you've been hit by a truck. So prepare yourself, just in case.

How's your throat doing?

Great to hear from you.
    Cath
  • Hello! I did make it home today an even stopped by Hobby Lobby on the way back. I have only had one pain pill since yesterday evening at around 7pm. I do feel almost normal now except for shoulder and neck soreness (around the incision).
    I am expecting to be hit with some more pain tomorrow or the next day..the doctor's orders say to stay home from work for 3 weeks.
    I guess I will be on a recliner for the near future.
  • Scott,

Congrats on being home! Don't over due, and relax! Get all the rest and sleep you need. Keep us posted!! Sounds like all is going well so far. :-)

Brenda
  • I am so glad for you and wish you a full recovery...take it slow, listen to you surgeon and feel better each day.

ilene
    Ilene
  • Hi Scott,

I had C5/6 fusion 1/08. My shoulder pain turned out to be a nerve "waking up". So it may take a while for it to ease up. If it doesn't, nerve medicine such as Lyrica would be helpful. Do take it easy for these 3 weeks. No overdoing anything with your neck, bending, twisting, lifting or reaching.

Best to you,

Marianne
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.