advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

just herniated C6-C7 and Bulging C3-C4

brownc61bbrownc61 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Last year on Dec. 26 I had an ACDF on C4-5
C5 C6 and did awesome and then this past fall started getting new pain in my traps and neck muscles...I went back to my shoulder doctor and he told me it was my neck! I went to the Neurosurgeon and said to have trigger injections and did then last week the pain returned so bad so my primary care ordered an MRI and now I have bulging disk above my fusion and herniated below my fusion...I am so upset! I am now facing another fusion in the next month!...last night it hurt so bad tears were just running down my face! Has anyone else had this happen so soon after a fusion? I fell on ice 10 years ago and had whiplash and this is how it all started for me! thanks, cheryl
advertisement

Comments

• If you go to my blog Signsoftimensuch blog you can see the picture of my MRI and my neck MRI...so upsetting and I have not fallen or anything...:-/
  • Howdy Cheryl,

In March of 08 I had an ACDF for the C5/6. Recovery went fine. 1 year and 1 month later after a big yawn, my C6/7 herniated! I had another ACDF in August of this past year. Here I am just bumping the end of month 5, and C7/T1 is going, and the C2/3 (not adjacent for that level) isn't looking too hot! If they have to hit those two, it will leave me fused at the C5/6/7/T1 and C2/3. Sucks too, as I signed the 5 to 10 year warranty, not the 1 year one! Keep us posted on how it goes for ya.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,109
    My neck issues began with fusion of c4 and c5. Fast forward to one year then redo of c4,c5 and added c6. Fast forward to another year and redo of 4,5,6. Then finally fast forward to 6 years and after broken plate screws added c3 to the party with corpectomy of c5 and c6 and fused c7. 6 months post-op at the moment and that is not looking good. Emg suggest issues at c7/t1.
    Oh yeah and throw in 2 lower back surgeries during my 6 year break. I currently need a double fusion on lower back but will not proceed until we find out if my neck is stable. I am waiting on my cat scan results.
    I am now on a first name basis with my surgeon.lol.
    Susan
  • I'm sorry to hear that you are needing another surgery so soon!

I herniated my C7/8 disc last spring and my surgeon recommended a foraminotomy to remove bone and give the trapped nerve room. I said, why don't you just remove the disc? He explained that once you start doing that kind of surgery (disc/fusion) on the neck, a person ends up needing another surgery, then another one. The foraminotomy relieved my nerve pain and now I just have continued degeneration to look forward to. Don't know if this makes sense--he didn't explain the reasons why one surgery leads to another and another but I've gathered from reading many posts here on this forum that fusion creates significant stress on the adjacent discs.

Wishing you the best. :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Interesting to read all of us are going through so much of the same..I go tomorrow to Loyola in chicago for a second opinion..I will post when I get home to let you know what is up...I cannot believe how the disks just keep going and all so quickly..my lower back is the same..I had L5 S1 and now the next two levels are both bulging..this is crazy! I had steroid injections in the fall of 09 and the second time they could not get through the scar tissue but he went above the mess and got in above it and it has given me relief since then...thanks for sharing and I will post tomorrow..hang in there all of us!!! If anyone is on Facebook I am under
    Cheryl Johnson Brown...thanks...
  • advertisement
  • Growlyb1GGrowlyb1 Stamford CTPosts: 2

brownc61 said:

C5 C6 and did awesome and then this past fall started getting new pain in my traps and neck muscles...I went back to my shoulder doctor and he told me it was my neck! I went to the Neurosurgeon and said to have trigger injections and did then last week the pain returned so bad so my primary care ordered an MRI and now I have bulging disk above my fusion and herniated below my fusion...I am so upset! I am now facing another fusion in the next month!...last night it hurt so bad tears were just running down my face! Has anyone else had this happen so soon after a fusion? I fell on ice 10 years ago and had whiplash and this is how it all started for me! thanks, cheryl

I have the same problem had bi level fusion c4-5 and c5-6. now c6-7 severely herniated, radiculopathy, intense neck pain, spasms and centra herniation c3-4. Also bulge c7-t1. Recently triple lumbar discectomy worked 9 months, now looking at eventual fusion for that. Stay as active as possible, injections and several meds, Looking for a job and this doesnt make it easier:-(( Like to try try stronger meds and physical therapy, in NO RUSH for more surgery. Pain scale is a 9 to 10 sometimes.Rather eat a pound of habanero pepppers first! 

• LizLiz Posts: 9,699
    hello growlyb1

this is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so i am closing it.
    i suggest you create a new discussion using the link below.

please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Growlyb1GGrowlyb1 Stamford CTPosts: 2

brownc61 said:

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.