advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Intrathecal Pain Pump Questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,002
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Management
Hi,
I am new here, but not new to intractable pain or spinal surgeries. My PM Doc suggested to me back in December that I should consider an intrathecal pain pump. I have fail back surgery syndrome after 5 spinal surgeries, and an SCS that was installed in June of 08.

I want anyone that has a pain pump to give me some advice... How do you like the pump? Does it give you the same amount of pain relief that PO medications did, or more?
How many times have you gone for adjustments since you had it installed?
How long was the trial period? And how long were you in the hospital after the permanent was installed?

Have you had any issues with the pump itself? I have read that there are some issues with the Medtronics brand pump? Anyone had issues with that brand?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I want to make sure that I am going to make the right decision. I am currently on 80 Mg's of Methadone, 4 Mg's of Dilaudid for BT pain, and Zanaflex for muscle spasms.

I would appreciate any help from all of you. Thanks in advance,

Tipper
advertisement

Comments

• Sandi,
    Thanks so much for the information on the IPP. As far as the SCS goes.... The SCS has taken care of my neuropathic pain, but not my mechanical pain, so that is why my PM Doc is thinking about having the IPP implanted in me.
    I am planning to keep my SCS since it is serving it's purpose, which it was taking care of the nerve pain on my legs.

I will go ahead and check out the pumpsters group on Yahoo.

Thanks Again,

Tipper
  • I'm worried I won't be able to have an mri to look for additional tumors of the spine...ture?
    `I askeed dco a bout spasms ( i havebad muscle spasms as well as nerve pain) He said the pump woulddeal with that but I've seen alot of posts that say you need breakthough meds (oral) for that. I don't want baclofen. Several reasons. So....do some docs give extra meds for spasms like opiods you can take when you're in an attack? or is it really that the pump only takes care of
    ' regular pain' and not spasms or attacks?
    Thanks everyone.
    msjan
  • advertisement
  • I have nerve pain and muscle spasm pain...both severe. I see a post above saying the scs doesn't take care of muscular/movement? pain? I didn't know that. Well that rules that one out for me.
    Thanks.
  • You WILL be able to have an MRI with a pain pump implant, you must let them know you have one.

You CAN NOT have an MRI with the SCS (spinal cord stimulator)!! A lot of people get this confused.

Pain apump implant....YES.

SCS (spinal cord stimulator)......NO

There is a med that can be added to the pain med that will help spasams. I believe it is blacofin(sp?) I understand it works really well.

I only have pain meds in my pump and take a muscle relaxer for spasams and it works great for me.

Best of luck.
    Patsy W
  • mri ok with drug pump, not with scs. Got it. I have nerve pain attacks so would probably need both. RFA WORKS for now (yea) but it will wear off. I so appreciate your advise. Alot of people get oral meds for attacks. I guess I'll need to find one.
    Thanks again so much for your time.
    My best to you.
    p.s. I live in Ohio
  • advertisement
  • I read where oral baclofen doesn't cause cancer but the IV does. I went to the fda drug site for that info. I've had castlemans (like cancer) and have tumors so am afraid of the iv type. I take oral but it doesn't work. Maybe I need the dose upped.
    I appreciate your info/post so very much.
    Thank you.
  • I am sorry for shouting in my comment. I did not mean to shout but wanted to make it very clear to everyone reading this which device you could have an MRI if you had the implant.

A lot of people are confused on this subject.

I think I made it clear....don't you? LOL

I am not much of a shouter but a very quiet person with a pain pump implant.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Oh Sandi.......I know what you mean about hoping one day to be free of pain. That was my hopes and dreams too until I was told nothing more could be done except treat my pain.

I was doing fine with my pain pump until I broke my hip(crushed)developed a bakers cyst behind my right knee and have a pinched nerve to add to my pain.

Recovering from the broken hip is going very slow because of the bakers cyst. These things are very painful making it difficult for me to walk much.

Best of luck to you. I also hope you are free of pain soon.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I don't want scs ecause my pain is nerve and muscle. The scs won't help with muscle pain. I need to be able to do MRIs due to tumors. The drug pump will help nerve and muscle pain. So its decided. One question...I've heard of people getting oral meds in addition to the drug pump for attacks. My doc said he'd handle it in the pump...in other words NO oral meds. I've also heard of patients complaining that their doc won't put enough meds in the pump to alleviate the pain.
    Any comments about this?
    Thanks.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.