advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Positive ESI Results Hard To Find In This Particular Forum

Comments

• I've had positive results with epidurals... Let's see, twice was during childbirth... The other Epidurals I've had did not cause ADVERSE reactions. They just did not help. In fact, the only benefit I had was "the day of" the procedure when my system had all the pre-procedure medications to relax me - like novacaine for a dental procedure. Once it wore off, I was back to square one.

IN MY PARTICULAR SITUATION, I believe it could be because I work 8 hours a day in an office setting, have a one-way commute of 45 minutes to an hour (so about 2 hours a day on the road), come home and start my "second shift" of fixing supper, being sure homework is done, cleaning the kitchen and washing a few loads of clothes (putting them in the dryer, folding/hanging up the clothes, etc). In addition to this, I take care of my elderly, ill mother, bringing her to doctor appts, spot-cleaning her home, fixing up her meds for her, running errands for her, bringing her with me on grocery day, etc.

My husband gets up in the morning, works a 10 hour shift (which he says is not very manual - he gets paid for what he knows, not so much for what he does - I think he may be over paid just a tad), drives about 20-25 minutes one-way, comes home has his supper served to him, watches some TV, one nite a week he plays cards; one nite he shoots pool; some days he manages to get a round of golf in - or hunting if it's deer season....and well - you get the point.

So, I started off by saying "IN MY PARTICULAR SITUATION".... it may just be that I don't really get a whole lot of "down time" or "recouperation" time.

Maybe if I were able to reverse roles with my husband I might actually get better results....

• OMGoodness!! You are sooooo funny!! Well, actually, I cried a bit for you first, then realized we are the same person! Then, I cried again, for me!! Finally, I laughed and laughed! I had to read it to my darling husband! I don't think he laughed at all!! Hmm... feeling guilty, I wonder!! ;) Thanks for giving me a good laugh.
  • advertisement
  • It's always good to know I still got it!

Yeah, sad thing is that it's all true. Gotta laugh about it though, otherwise....
  • I am about 14 months postop L4-L5 fusion. I have had 4 epidural spinal injections and one RFA. I think (and from what I've read) esi's generally aren't as successful once you've had fusion surgery. Today I had my 4th esi - caudal. I've never had a bad reaction. But - another point about esi's and pain managment is that I believe they are often diagnostic in nature. That is to say, the first few at least help the doc determine which esi's will offer the most relief so obviously some will be more effective than others. I've had 2 above my fusion area and now 2 below. It's helping the doc "find" the best area for pain relief.

Now, on to success and positive side effects.....I find that around 5 days after esi's, I get TONS of work done at the office and around the house. I'm a regular super woman! Pain relief....well in my case we might be dealing with a lost cause. But I sure enjoy the energy level for awhile :)

Yes, we ladies are different creatures then the gents. More verbal (just ask my poor hub) and more apt to look for support. My hub thinks his job is to "suffer in silence" and move on! UNTIL he ends up in bed with the flu and then all bets are off. You'd think he was on his death bed! I love to remind him that I had 2 children without as much as an aspirin!

All kidding aside, I'm very happy that you've had a good outcome and welcome your optimism. You help those of us who aren't quite as lucky, by giving us hope for another day. Keep posting and don't let the negative posts bring you down. I really think in most cases it's just good ol fashioned, healthy "venting." Best to you! Kathy
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072
    Jeauxbert is a very special person.
    I am saying that not because she is a moderator. I saw that in her a long time ago. Someone who can combine facts, honesty, serious discussions along with humor..

She is one of a kind

I am very lucky to have befriended Jeaux.

And I have also learned when she posts, there is always something very special to pick up from what she writes.
  • advertisement
  • Something that might explain why there was a misunderstanding re: ESI's. When I visit SH, I go to the left hand column and click on "Recent Posts". I then get a listing of all the recent posts from all boards and I open the ones that interest or apply to me (which is why what people write in their subject lines is SO important! lol). I usually have NO idea what forum they were initially posted on. I do this because I am curious about all the recent posts.....feeling part of a community here.

That said, you can search my username and find my slant and style of posting. I've been lucky and had excellent results after a long journey. Just thankful for any relief at this point.

Take care,

Cheri
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,741
    You have to stay of of your feet. and be in a horizontal position as long as possible. At least 12 hrs. My friend who was getting them b-4 me told me that. And my Dr. who gave them said the same thing!

So if your thinking about getting 1 or more of them, remember what the Dr. told me: " I put it where I want it to go and if you are on your feet, it will all leak out b-4 it can do any good"
    "And that will pi$$ me off" X(
    Good luck, Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for this website. My pain doc warned me to stay home and take it easy for a day, at least. But he never told me to lie down. Thankfully, I learned that from other posts BEFORE I had my first esi.

Just goes to show how much value this website has! Thank you all moderators!
    j.howie said:
    You have to stay of of your feet. and be in a horizontal position as long as possible. At least 12 hrs. My friend who was getting them b-4 me told me that. And my Dr. who gave them said the same thing!

So if your thinking about getting 1 or more of them, remember what the Dr. told me: " I put it where I want it to go and if you are on your feet, it will all leak out b-4 it can do any good"
    "And that will pi$$ me off" X(
    Good luck, Jim :D
  • Jeaux you crack me up! I just love it. Sad but true.

My experience with ESI's? Well, let's see. I have had several of them. Each time I was "talked into them" because they believed the benefits, (pain relief) outweighed the risk (may trigger extreme hormonal imbalance symptoms.) Not good for someone who has had a total hysterectomy and already suffers from hormonal imbalance.

Turns out each time I tried, cause I was just that desperate, the benefits did not outweigh the risk at all! No pain relief and I certainly won't bore you with those "wacky" (your term Stan not mine) hormonal cycle symptoms.

So, I'm no doctor but just maybe women are more susceptible to adverse side effects than men are. At least when it comes to steroids and ESI's.

Frog
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.