advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March Surgeries

Comments

• You know I forgot about that. I used nair when I had my lumbar fusion several times. It worked great. Thanks for the reminder.

Definately going with a natural lighter nail color= it last much longer (not so obvious when it chips).

Thanks!
    Julie
  • I finally decided to have surgery after 10 years of pain. I am scheduled to have L3-4,4-5,5-S1 PLIF on March 17. What a great freakin' St. Pattys Day.

I find myself nervously excited.

I can't imagine what it would be like to resume a somewhat normal life and am praying this will help me reach that goal.

I'm 46 and was a college athlete and now have to sit in a chair after about 5 minutes to play catch with my 6 and 7 year old.

I'm realistic and not looking for a miracle. If I could actually play some kind of organized sports again would be awesome, but to just be able to have an actual game of catch or be able to stand long enough to work with my kids on the basketball court would make it all worth while.

Here's to everyone on the site having successful results with whatever you decide to do.
  • advertisement
  • I finally decided to have surgery after 10 years of pain. I am scheduled to have L3-4,4-5,5-S1 PLIF on March 17. What a great freakin' St. Pattys Day.

I find myself nervously excited.

I can't imagine what it would be like to resume a somewhat normal life and am praying this will help me reach that goal.

I'm 46 and was a college athlete and now have to sit in a chair after about 5 minutes to play catch with my 6 and 7 year old.

I'm realistic and not looking for a miracle. If I could actually play some kind of organized sports again would be awesome, but to just be able to have an actual game of catch or be able to stand long enough to work with my kids on the basketball court would make it all worth while.

Here's to everyone on the site having successful results with whatever you decide to do.
  • Sorry to hear about this new turn. No you don't need any more stress. Hope they get it sorted out quickly. Naida
  • I just want you to know that March is a good month.
    First, my birthday month, Second, St. Patrick's day, and 3rd...the first day of Spring which is the symbol of new life and hope.

I will pop in to see how you are all holding up.
    Stay healthy...vitamin C. They can't operate if you have any signs of a cold.

As for throwing up upon hearing you need surgery...I'd say normal. It's a stomache wrenching thing to hear you need back surgery. I can help those heading for microdiscectomies. I've had 2 (L5-S1 and a revision)...my words of wisdom are "listen to the rules of no bending, twisting, lifting" and "lie flat and lots of short, flat walks to keep scar tissue from tethering to nerve and to help healing".

Gwennie - I will pray that you can work things out to still go through with March surgery.
  • advertisement
  • Gwennie, so sorry for your insurance troubles! I can relate. Most likely, your surgeon will need to write a letter of medical necessity. Mine was never actually denied, they just wouldn't consider it until I had a pysch consult which is standard for them. (I live in Tx, but my insurance is out of Mn). Also, you can call and talk to your insurance directly. I talked to them several times. I emphasized how often I had fallen (which is the truth) and that I was no longer able to perform my work duties. With persistance we finally got the direct number to the lady who was reviewing, and we got my surgeons office involved. Within hours she approved my surgery. But it took a good 6 weeks. Good luck. I'm happy to help in any way that I can, I know how stressful it is! Hang in there!~ Shari

• I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hope that by the end of the day, things look more hopeful.
  • That sounds so weird to have them deny.

I know that they pretty much never approve ADR, but to deny a fusion. That seems pretty strange, especially since you have more than one Dr. backing the decision.

I would think something from the doctor/s should help.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Gwennie- Hang in there :)

I was denied on my PLIF by an "outside medical director" whom they informed me was a NS... I did some research on the said NS and found out he was infact a medical examiner. My NS sent a letter and my entire file to him and it was approved. Interesting enough the insurance compant had not sent my entire file for the medical director.

This time my ACDF was denied by my insurance company. They wouldn't even consider it until I had completed 6-8 weeks of PT. So as soon as the PT was completed they sent my file to the same "medical director" who approved it immediately.

I know that you are disappointed and probably a little upset (I was). Try not to stress too much. It will probably get approved with additional information.

~Hugs~

Julie
  • So sorry to hear of the added stress of insurance ruling our lives. Hopefully there won't be much of a delay. I know that I am so programed for this surgery to happen on March 9th that if it gets canceled for any reason it will be very difficult. I already have everyone at work programed to not use my phone or computer so I don't get sick!! Hang in there everyone we will get through this together. Lynette
    Lynette
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.