advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

two fusion c4 to c7,neck,shoulder and arm pain are back

robbie53rrobbie53 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
2004 1st fusion(5,6,7),2009 2nd fusion(c4,c5).Most days are hell.A new MRI today,what is there to hope for?
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, welcome to spine-health net. What was the date of your last surgery? I have C4-7 done Dec. 08 with plate, cage & screws but after 3 months my pain came back on the opposite side of my neck and got worse until Sept. 09 I went on disability, they found out my plate was loose and I had not fused. Dec. 09 I anterior surgery C4-7 with rods and my hip bone graft.
    It's been 12 weeks today, I am still wearing the hard collar, waiting to hear from the doctor this week to see if I have to another six weeks with the collar, my pain has not improved, but he warned me I had a 50% chance it wouldn't, so I am just waiting to hear what is next for me like SSDI, I try and keep a positive attitude each day and find a word to answer friends who keep asking me How Do You Feel? Today my word is "Unbelievable" which can be take two ways, let them figure it out right?
    I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Rick
  • last surgery 4-09, I was pain free for 8 months and then I went to trigger point shots. Waste of time. I go for the new MRI in a couple hours. I'm scared of what they may or may not find. I hate those hard collars. You feel like a sitting target and what ever you can eat with out choking is on the front of the collar.Who ever thought brushing your teeth would be so complicated. My reply to the irritating questions, Still above Ground! It stops alot repeat offenders.LOL I always make an effort to find Joy in my day or at least fake it when nessasary. Good Luck! Robbie
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    Welcome to our forum. My story is very similar to yours. 3 level ACDF October 2006 FAILED - Non Union and adjacent disk disease (New herniation above the (lack of)fusion).

Revised the entire previous procedure with 4 level ACDF - 2 vertebrectomies - cage posteriors rods- bone harvest from hip (no cadaver donor this time) June 2008. 4 Surgeries over a three day period - ICU 4 days inpatient 8 days.

I still have pain ... increasing ... Neck and shoulder pain - Left arm pain and numbness - and now numbness has just started in right hand.

Stopped working (again) last month - filed for SSD (again) and spend much time hoping and praying for stability of my condition, $, meds and the such.

When someone asks me how I'm doing - I answer "still alive - despite all odds".

I am grateful for what I do still have - and attempt to deal with my increasing limitations.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers .... PM me anytime you need to crab!!

Dave
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us. I think you'll find that this site is a great place to find others who understand what you're going through, unlike non-spineys.

I've had a 3-lvl ACDF and the only problem I have is that my C6/7 hasn't fused, but the other two did. My surgeon isn't concerned because my only side effect is pain in the back of my neck, so we're leaving it alone for now.

I'm sorry you're having more problems. But, hey, you still have your lumbar spine to look forwards to. LOL (totally just kidding and I knocked on wood, too)

Take care
    Cath
  • How about this one. If your surgery was done to relieve pain and not for stability or other non-optional reasons, would you have had the surgery or taken the money it cost your insurance company?

As I realise that I just traded one pain for others I really think the 100K sounds interesting. lol So what does everyone else think? Shouldn't they give you door number 1 and door number 2?
  • advertisement
  • Kris-NY,

After reading your post, I chuckled! Thanks for the enlightenment of my day!

For me, I agree with you. Door #1 or Door #2. I know I would have taken the other option if I had a choice but my surgery was for stability and release from paralysis danger.

Just like Robbie and Rick, I'm still having problems after surgery and more pain. As you said, I think we all have just traded in for another problem or issue.

I keep hearing the same thing from my Doc, "just give it more time, it might get better" and I'm SOOOO tired of hearing that. Every day I try to tell myself that but every day I'm feeling worse instead of better and it's really getting difficult to stay positive between the aches and the pain, much less look into the future as to where I'll be.

Not to mention, dealing with my thoracic and lumbar herniations while struggling to heal from what I feel is a "failed" ACDF C-4-6.

For all of us, the ultimate question arises: "Where do I go from here?" ~X(

• Post removed by moderator paulgla. Post has nothing to do with the topic.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    Post removed by moderator paulgla. Post has nothing to do with the topic.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.