advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

12 wks post-op...pain meds...work!

Comments

• Thank you nurses for all you do and all you sacrifice! We so appreciate you!

I was just reading an article in my OT Monthly that all stated OT/PT's as having a high rate of back dysfunction....In my early years, I specialized in working with peole who have had strokes, spinal cord injuries ie paraplegics and quadraplegics. It is very physically demanding work. After the birth of my daughter who spent her first 2 years in and out of the hospital. I switched to pediatrics and now specialize in babies ages birth to 3.

I spend my days on the floor helping to strengthen muscles, normalize muscle tone and facilitate developmental skills. I carry large peices of equipment, portable scales, laptops, printers etc.

I have spent a lot of time with my surgeon and PM doc to figure out how to perform my job with the least amount of stress to my body.

The thought of not being able to return to my job is frightening.....I am thankful every day to have found a profession that I love! I absolutely love what I do! I hope and pray it can return!
  • Hi Graham,

Yes, I'm still here...

I finished up my 6 weeks of PT 2 weeks ago. It did help but really it opened up my eyes to how tight I was. I definitely increased my flexibility (or rather loosened up those hamstrings) and we did the core exercises as well. I also realized how creaky my knees are! By the end they had me lifting a 15 lb box off of a shelf and placing it on the floor and back to the shelf x20 and my knees would pop so loud that the other PT's could hear it across the gym and laugh but really ask if I was OK. It hurt too which should be another reinforcement that I need to drop some lbs. (Also, if I don't I'm gonna need knee replacement surgery!) I have a little bit of a suspicion that I am compensating with my back for what my knees can't do...on top of still needing to strengthen my core. Oh vey!

You're right what is done is done. There's no going back now. At least my family hasn't given me grief with the "I told you so" comments. My mom didn't completely agree with my decision but we all know that fusion doesn't mean you're problems are solved.

One of my nursing school classmates has been following my progress from my posts on FB and she sent me a message. She now has been out of work for over a year due to back problems. We're getting together soon so we can compare notes (and cry over a beer LOL). Its just crazy.

Jay,
    I was watching all of the PT's during my sessions and I also wondered how they managed not to hurt themselves. All of them (seriously 90%+ of them) are fitness buffs but we all know that doesn't guarantee that they will be free from back problems. Also, I can appreciate what PTs do with kids. I used to see them lugging mats and toys all over the place working with my patients.

Dave,
    Thank you so much for your support. I'm sorry to hear that your recovery isn't going as expected. I too was caught off-guard with this surgery. I expected my 2nd discectomy to go like my 1st and nothing was the same. From the post-op pain levels to the length of my hospital stay to my recovery. I too try not to focus on the bad but the good as well. I'm trying to see what doors open for me...who knows, maybe I'll find something I love even more than working at a hospital with the little ones!?!

Thanks again to all of you for your support. I was long overdue to post on here. Nobody quite understands like a fellow Spiney!

(BTW Graham, I didn't TOTALLY ignore your comments re: smoking, its still on my mind :) )
  • advertisement
  • Thinking of you this week and wondering how it is going for you returning to work. I hope you are having a good week and are able to handle it. Let us know how you are doing.

I am so worried about returning to work. I went on my first road trip this past weekend, 3 hours in the car, stopped once, reclined my seat during the trip, gone for 2 nights.

I slept for almost 2 days straight when I got back! I couldn't believe it!

Looking forward to hearing how your week is going!
  • stop second guessing yourself and questioning whether you did the right thing. you weir options, made a decision. you are where you are. feel a 2nd micro

https://www.anniemorecambe.com/isle_of_tana.html

is off the inevitable. that is personal opinion. medical fae answer is "it depends"... don't you love that answer ;-) if it delays things a year or

https://www.anniemorecambe.com/land_of_meena.html

so. better medical answers arconsider mimprovement overional fusion. it's just part of the evolution. thmuch better.

https://www.anniemorecambe.com/fires_of_edana.html
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.