advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain management

mike 29mmike 29 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am six months out from a l5 s1 fusion. And now am being sent to a pain management. What goes on at a pain management appointment.
advertisement

Comments

• My experience with my pain mgmt doc was exactly as Gwennie has described. I also went into pain mgmt after having and L5/S1 fusion that didn't resolve my pain but instead became worse.
  • gwennie17 my doctor added the pain management, but I still will see him too. Thank you and ming for the info.
  • advertisement
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,082
    I have had two pain management doctors, and when I first saw both they did a review of my history, surgeries, had me describe my pain (and I fill out the same form every month so they have a record of the updates or changes). I had to provide them a list of ever medication I was on and had tried recently and also had to sign the pain contract. I have been seeing my same Pain Management doctor for about 15 months now and they are wonderful. There are some PM doctors and practices out there that are not as good as they could be. So if something doesn't make sense, or you are uncomfortable with the process, let us know and maybe we can let you know if it's what we've experienced as well.

It is common for a surgeon to refer you to pain management after surgery if the surgeon isn't comfortable with continuing to prescribe pain medications. And most PM doctors have a more extensive knowledge of the pain meds and treatments available.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for the info SpineAZ. And if I have any questions I will message.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.