advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

back to work FT: WOW this is hard!!

lynettellynette Posts: 216
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I went back to work full time with restrictions on monday. I am a nurse in a radiation oncology office. I made it 8 hrs all 3 days but I am really tired. I have rested for a hr at lunch and then I rest most of the evening when I get home.Today I had to lie down around 3pm for 20min, then they made me go home. I do remember after my microdiscectomy I went back at 8 weeks post op too and remember the fatigue but I am moving better that I did after that surgery. I haven't had that brace on for full days either cuz I don't have to wear it around the house, so that has been irritating. I don't have any real pain, just fatigue. I know I have had success just by some of my movements that I did pre surgery that used to cause me pain that I don't have now. Like just standing in a room with a patient I would have alot of low back pain/pressure or just leaning slightly foward to take a blood pressure I would have pain and I don't have it now! That part is really exciting, so now it's about building up some stamina. And I have been walking 2 miles every other day and being up constantly most of the day and it is still hard. I know each week will get easier. Hopefully I will get through the rest of the week and rest up on the weekend !! Lynette
Lynette
advertisement

Comments

• Make sure you are eating enough. I find when I am in pain I don't get enough to eat. You might need to add some carbs for a few weeks or whatever gets you going.
  • sounds like you are doing quite well.
    It's not uncommon to have fatigue. After my revision, my return to work went better b/c my doctor eased me into it which the best thing.

I remember after the first week of 4-hour/day remote (which I really did 5-6 hours), my husband thought I stopped breathing b/c I layed down on my side on the couch for 10 mins and fell asleep....he kept trying to wake me up and I wasn't responding. He had to scream at me and I remember saying "what?" He said I wanted to make sure you were ok and I remember being annoyed b/c I was just so tired.

Keep it up...it should get easier but stay smart...if you are wiped out and need to go home, then do so. Drink lots of water too...stay hydrated.
  • advertisement
  • Lynette - I am amazed that you were able to return to work so soon. I will be praying that your stamina gets better and that you grow stronger every day. I am sure your body is in shock after returning to work. Hang in there! I know it will get easier for you every day.

Lynn
  • I've been thinking of you! You must be soooo tired! I don't think I could be back at work this soon!

Please take care of yourself and if you need to shorten your days, please do!

Wish I could be closer to bring you dinner! :-)

Hang in there, will be keeping you in my prayers!
  • Thanks girls for all your encouragement!! I made it through another day and today was easier. I took 2 doses of tylenol today which I didn't do till late yesterday, and had a big lunch with extra carbs (and cake, it was a free lunch). I don't think I was eating enough(thanks Kris for reminding me)cuz I was so conscious of not eating too much when my activity was low. I think I'm gonna make the week!!! Lynette
    Lynette
  • advertisement
  • Glad to hear that today was a better day for you!

Lynn
  • Wtg Lynette,

I am glad to see you're going to make it through the week. LOL Going back so soon is hard and tiring. I think it set me back and put me off work again. I wish I had just taken the time offered. But live and learn. I am going back to work next week, so I know I will have a few days of fatigue. I am hoping to battle it like you have. Best wishes and I hope each day gets easier!!

Traci
  • Just one more day to get through, then it will be the weekend and you can rest :-)

Traci : Good luck to you for next week. Take it easy this time :-)
  • I so wish the best for you, Lynn!! Hope you have a restful weekend.

Traci, you know you are in my prayers for the coming week, also. I will be so happy when I can return to my job and feel productive again...that thought keeps me going :-)

Lisa
  • Well it caught up with me!! Today I ached all over and wasn't able to do much today. I hope one more day is enough to recover. I have a hot tube so going to soak a while tonight. My legs were so tight and achey, but I look it like PT NO PAIN NO GAIN!

Shari...thanks for the dinner offer!! I hate to cook.

Traci..how long ago was your surgery now??

lynette
    Lynette
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.