advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scar swelling and pain 10 months post fusion - paranoia!

Comments

• So I saw the surgeon again today. He says the blood tests show that it probably isn't a deep infection and as I am not in agony/very ill it probably isn't. He thinks it is probably a stitch abcess although he says that is unusual this late post op (but so is a hardware infection unless it is a whole spine scoilisis child).
    I now have another week of antibiotics and he will see me again.
    He says there are two routes 1) antibiotics 2) open me up and debride me.
    From what he said I think he thinks he will be going back in sooner or later. Either the antibiotics won't do a good enough job quickly or the infection will return.
    But, on the positive, if he does go back in he thinks it will only be a day job. He doubts it is hardware cos I am not really ill and am not in total agony. (I am trying not to think about the recent spells of total agony!! As they have passed I hope they don't count!)
    So, I will know more, again, in another week.
  • Yet another surgeon visit and sort of good news. He says the antibiotics seem to be working and has given me another week of them. (Deep joy - side effects are pretty grim at times!).
    He said that I needed to keep in the back of my mind that he may need to go back in at some point in the future but is hopeful that this last week of antibiotcs will see it off.
    So, I still can't put it to bed so to speak. Ah well at least I'm not having emergency surgery tomorrow!
  • advertisement
  • Nel,

I am happy no more surgery is required immediately. Going through that is no fun at all. I hope the antibiotics keep you on the right path. Feel better =)
  • Let's hope you've seen the last of that nasty infection!

Peggy x
    P.S those muffins sound delicious!

• They were very yummy!!! :P
    They didn't last long in my house. :D
  • advertisement
  • An update!
    Well, I had three weeks on antibiotics in total. After three weeks the surgeon said that it was all better. I have to be honest and say that in the back of my mind I was wondering why he thought that given that 1) when I first presented there were no outward signs of infection and it took it moving to the outside for him to believe that there was and 2) all that I could tell had happened was that the external symptoms had disappeared. Oh well.
    So I have been off the antibiotics for a little over a week and the infection is back already! (never went away is my guess). My back is sore, sweliing internally and externally, I am exhausted etc.
    So I have called and left a message for him because he said to do that if it came back and I think he will do an MRI with contrast next. Has anyone had one of these? I know it is silly (I am a science teacher after all) but I am afraid that if there is the tiniest bit of iron in the screws that they will come flying out in the machine!
    What I really want to know is (feel like lenny kravitz there!!) when is this all going to stop. If he is going to have to cut me open again I wish he had done it back in august rather than all this toing and froing. I am supposed to go on holiday in 19 days.
    Anyway, sorry to moan. I am just soooooo fed up right now.
    Hope you are all doing well.

• I am so sorry that you are having all this trouble. >:D<

It must be soooo frustrating! I do hope that you will still be able to go on your holiday. How long is it for, and where are you going?

By coincidence, this morning I phoned an MRI centre where I will be having a scan in a couple of weeks time. On the Patient Safety Questionnaire, it said for certain conditions, I had to phone and speak to the radiographer. One of them was if I had had any surgery, so I phoned and told them I had had a lumbar fusion surgery with pedicle screws, rods and cage.
    They asked me if it had been in the last 6 weeks, and I said no, 6 months ago. They said that it would be fine then. I know that this is just my story, but it sounds like you should be ok. You would definately need to check though.

I'll be thinking of you and will say a prayer for you nel. >:D<
    Do let us know how you get on. :-)
  • Your infection is not resolved. Maybe your Dr. would prescribe IV antibiotics to treat the infection now as they work faster and much stronger and hopefully it gets cleared up before your holidays. Take care. Charry.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Jelly and Charry,

We are supposed to be going to Bude (cornwall). I sooo need this holiday, the last time we went away was April 09 just after my disc slipped so you can imagine how good that was! And before that was april 08 - both times to the lake district. We always go at easter but this year was just when my mom went into the hospice so we didn't go this year.

Frustrating is one word for it ;)

Charry - maybe you are right, I just wish it was sorted out.

I feel like nothing goes my way anymore. Plus, on top, I feel like all I do is moan and feel sorry for myself these days. It is just so hard to snap out of it though!

• I know what you mean about feeling like we are always moaning! :W

On the other hand, here we have a place to let off steam and know that people understand. It is so good to have a place where we can vent without thinking that people are fed up hearing about our problems. (|:

We will be here for you and hope that you will be able to get away and enjoy a break. Does your surgeon know that you have this holiday booked?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.