advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

recovering from spinal fusion - disc replacement one week post op

Comments

• Thanks for writing. That is the only thing that I am really wanting to hear from my doctor today, that this nerve pain is "temporary" and not something permanant. I can handle it for another month or so, but do not want it to be something I am going to have to "deal" with, and that means medicine, that doesn't work for this pain anyway. Well, two more hours and I will post again with doctor info. Have a great day Shelly
  • ok, went to the doctor today, 16 days post-op appt. Staples are out, bandages off. Dr. says everything looks really good, and is very happy with the way I am getting around. I am going off of the prednisone over a period of 5 days. Staying on percocet, but now only 1 every 6 hrs as needed. He is giving me two prescriptions for the nerve pain, not sure what they are, I am picking them up tonite (after football). One is for inflamation and the other is for nerve pain, and he said that is normal, and should work really well. I can drive next week, taking it slow, and I can also take a bath next week too. Yeah!
    Physical therapy starts in two weeks. In about a month I have an xray. I told him that in a month I am going to Cabo for my hubby's 50th, and he said sounds great. So all in all, I am very happy with the way my appt. went. Back to the football game.
  • advertisement
  • Im so very glad that your appointment went well and your happy with the outcome..

You still amaze me at the speedy progress your making and keep going as you inspire me..I had my last fusion in April and Im still in pain from it.

Take care
    Shelly
  • Lisadaylene Wow terrific news I'm so happy for you that all is well.16 days post op is amazing you feel so well,your pain levels are able to be controlled with such a low amount of meds and you feel up to getting out.It gives me great hope and strength to move foward with my own surgery if there's a good chance I might feel the same.I know everyone recovers differently and this will be my 3rd spinal surgery in 3yrs .So there is a good chance it may not be as fast but I'm HOPEFUL.I wish you all the best with your recovery.What a great way to celebrate your sucessful surgery and your husband Bday with a trip.Take good care.
    Kaitiedid
  • My doctor gave me samples on Lyrica C 75. My insurance will not cover Lyrica, so my doctor will just give me samples for now. Well, after just two days, I notice such a difference. First I am sleeping all night, wake up feeling great. My skin pain, the burning and pins and needles, while still there, is so much better, I can tolerate it now. I may ask my doctor if I can take three pills a day to see if the pain goes away, I am on two per day now. This has made such a difference for me. I know that I just started taking the Lyrica, maybe I will have weird side effects, but right now, it is making me feel great. I just wanted to share. Everyone have a great day.
  • advertisement
  • I've just been reading this thread and am amazed at how well you're doing. What a boost this is to me as I am just 12 days away from PLIF at L4-S1, for nerve impingement due to scoliosis. Will be having screws, and I think rods, but my surgeon didn't mention a cage and I'm not having ADR. He will be using cadaver bone, I believe.

I'm a very positive-minded person who does well with surgery but this upcoming surgery has got me a bit worried because of the potentially tough recovery. Hearing how well you're doing really helps me maintain my expectation that I will do as well. Thanks so much for sharing your progress. I hope you continue to do great! :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Thank you for writing. Well, this was my first back surgery, and I was really worried, especially after reading about people with horrible post surgery problems. But I think that there are so many successful positive outcomes, but we never hear about them because I guess they don't get involved with writing about it. I wanted to share how well I have done, but as you know everyone is different. I can only hope that you have a great outcome as I have. I am making sure that I do not bend, lift, exercise, or do anything until told I can. I look forward to physical therapy in two weeks. I have such a supportive family, it sure made recovery easier for me. Please keep me posted and let me know how you are doing. I am going to ask if you want to be on my buddy list, I would love to offer support and an ear during your recovery. I have found that this website has helped my in so many ways. Take care.
  • Thanks for your encouraging and yet sensible note, lisa (may I call you that?) I have to keep reminding myself that generally the spineys who post here have problems which are ongoing and the success stories don't stick around very long, for good reason.

You bet, we can be buddies! I just approved your request. :)

Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Well, I am now 4 weeks post op. I am recovering very well. I am walking over a mile every day. I am not feeling any pain other than the nerve pain, but because of the Lyrica, I don't really feel it much. Still waiting for my doctor to prescribe something else since my insurance will not cover Lyrica. I do feel a little tightness, stiffness where the fusion is, but I am sure that is expected. I am weaning myself off of the percocet, I am taking 1/2 of a pill now. I notice a little bit of chills and shakes, but that is only when I am due for another pill. After about four days I will cut down to 1/3 of a pill. I am going to be driving next week to my physical therapy sessions and do not want to drive while under percocet. I am starting to go stir crazy, miss doing housework and yard work if you can believe that. But having such a great family has helped me so much in my recovery. So, I am off for my walk. I wish you all a quick recovery.
  • Hi, I have l-5 S-1 fused in 2006 and am still in a lot of pain.I just found out that L-4 is collapsing and I had 2 epideurals yesterday.I also just found out that my Dr. used the INFUSE BMP without the cage he showed me when he told me what procedure he was going to do.Very confused- he said eventually I will have to have L-4 done but he would refer me to his colleague.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.