advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

October 2010 Surgery

Comments

• I think I should start with a little history. In 2007 I had a ruptured disc at L4-5 and a bulging disc with nerve inpengment at L5-S1. I went through the whole gammit of treatments. Started with chiropractic care, then PT, then steriod injections, and finally a micro discectomy and partial laminectomy at both levels. After a couple months I got a whole lot better. Then about 8 or 9 monts ago I started having problems again. Initially I told myself that it was just something I was going have to live with that the Dr had told me I'd never be 100%. Well about 2 months ago it started going down hill and the pain got a lot worse only it was mostly my back this time.
    Went to my family Dr. she ordered an MRI and refered to a neurosurgeon. He said my best option(actually in his opinion my only option) was fusion at L4-5 and L5-S1 due to the degeneration and what had been done before. I was refered to another surgeon that did this proceedure who told me the same thing.
    Now I am scheduled for pre-op on Sep 29th and surgery on Oct 6th. I am very nervous but, at the same time excited about maybe finally being on the way to recovery.
  • I am also very concerned about the fact of one surgery, now two, will it be three, or maybe more. Surgeon seems pretty confident that this will cure my problem. But, I've heard that when you have this surgery it will increase the pressure on the disc above it so I'm crossing my fingers and praying that I don't wind up here again.
  • advertisement
  • This is for Shelly...just some food for thought...a good friend had a similar trial a while back...Think good hygiene..follow the doc's orders to a T to prevent infection..

I am looking at the same thing...have not yet got up the nerve....Best of luck
    Butterbean
  • Butterbean I sure will follow the exact instructions..
    Shelly
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,361
    I'm sorry that all of you (myself included) need surgery. I do hope that all of us get the relief we seek from these procedures. I know that like me you've probably all been through the long process of all the conservative treatments to no avail and are left with no other options other than to live with it which in my mind is no option at all. I know that it may not provide the success we hope for but what else can we do?
    I'm hoping that by being optomistic and following orders we all can finally find a reasonably painfree existance. I don't even dream of being completely painfree because I am realistic in that my spine 'isn't great' as my surgeon said and also that the natural aging process is at work there. Too bad I can't cover that up like I can the gray hair and those pesky little wrinkles that want to be noticed...lol.
    I think I'm prepared mentally for this. It's hard mentally as well as physically and that is something that others without chronic pain can't understand. Physically, other than my spine, I'm in great shape as far as I know. (Well my shape is not what it once was hehe)
    I hope that each of you have great success. I know the friends I have made here at SH are what have got me this far and I'm sure will get me the rest of the way through this. Thank you all for that.
    I hope everyone is having as good a day as possible. If we're alive we're already doing pretty good. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm just thinking...

Debbie
  • advertisement
  • Debbie , that post you just did so echos what all of us feel xx
  • I agree. It's what we all think and share in common that only others suffering through what we are can truelly understand that's why I think this place is such a great find!
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072
    Surgery of any kind is not something that we want to have done. But when we realize that surgery is the only option and path to take, we have to be prepared.

That means, both physically and emotionally. To me, that means going in with the notion, that the surgery is going to help you out.

Debbie, as you stated, you understand that this surgery or any other may never give you a pain free existence. That is so very important. We can't go into a surgery thinking that its going to be the cure all and we will have zero pain the rest of our lives.

Spinal surgery will correct a situation, for some it will take care of many of their previous problems, for others, it will just get us by day to day

One major ingredient is positive thinking. You have shown that you are being positive and that you know things will work out. Thats almost half the battle.

Debbie, my friend, I hope that your upcoming surgery will go a long way in helping you and that your immediate family will be there by your side each and every day
  • Debbie.Everything you said is so true for a chronic pain sufferer..You said what most of us cant.

I hope and pray that everyone going to have surgery at anytime that it does give them a bit more quality of life without pain..xx
  • I hope to have an October surgery. Hopehopehope.

edited: No October surgery for me. Apparently he scheduled vacation without consulting me. Imagine!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.