advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

worried please help

siltyssilty Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 2 months post op c5-c6 neck fusion surgery. I had herniated disk and bone spur causing cord compression which left me almost unable to walk.

After my surgery felt great after 1st month. Everyday I felt like I was getting a little better each day. However since surgery I have gotten 2 terrible migraines which i have never had before and daily headaches.

Over the past week i feel like something happened and I took a small step backwards. Seems like I am limping a little more, the headaches and now feel dizziness.

This is concerning to me because before my surgery I was so dizzy I could not even shower. I also am getting muscle spasms feeling back that I would get in my back, feels like a knot which valium does help.

I am just so worried, could the fusion have failed ? I am still over all much better than pre-surgery but where I was feeling really good and now noticing not feel as well should I be worried?

Has anyone else felt great after surgery then had symptoms return?

It is also christmas time and have been doing alot also.

Any replies I would greatly appreciate it.

advertisement

Comments

• 2 months post op is a drop in the bucket when it comes to healing from any type of spine surgery. I have always had the ebbs and flows during post op times. Doing a bit too much certainly would trigger a flare that would have me questioning whether or not I had reinjured myself.

Do you have a good relationship with your surgeon? Most surgeons have told me that they would rather get a phone call with your questions and concerns, versus the patient being miserable mentally and physically. Maybe a call into the docs office can help alleviate some of your concerns.

Welcome to Spine Health,

"C"
  • Silty,

Hi, glad you found us, welcome. There is much support and compassion here with other "spineys".

As "C" said, 2 months post-op is early in the phase of recovery and your spine healing/adapting to changes. As well suggestion to call your doctor a good one.

Re: Post Op Recovery - Symptoms

I can sure remember it was difficult for me post-op with my whole spine and dealing with I believe post-trauma of the surgery and my neuro-muscular issues for the first 5-6 months were tough on me and wondering if I had any light in the tunnel. My symptoms pre-surgery was severe numbness in hands and whole left side of episodic numbness, that was gone but dealing with 3 levels post-op bone fusion brought on a whole phase of neuro-muscular pain and functioning I did not expect! (but did improve as my recovery went further 6 months and by 9 months were gone!)

Re: Calling Surgeon's Office - good step

I encourage you to give your doctor a call.... get established with his nurse/assistant with this post-op phase and concerns of symptoms. I know my NS assistant was just great in deciphering and assessing issues and bringing them to the NS attention. I hope you can direct your concerns and be heard and assessed with the return of symptoms.

Re: "Overdoing with Christmas stuff" ;)
    Are you seeing that when you started doing more your symptoms with walking, etc. all started up as well?

There is definitely a level of what is in the "safe zone" and "overdoing" and your body is certainly talking now and letting you know.

I know it's hard with this post-op and recovery, but you will need to give yourself much time and patience in establishing a "safe zone" of what you can do without triggering symptoms.

It's also normal to have high-alert concerns for what you begin feeling in your body and symptoms you're having and have had pre-surgery, truly know that it's all part of the recovery and keep your fear bridled and I hope having yourself established with your doctor's asst and doctor will help you discern, as well as you and your doctor know how your body and spine is recovering from a major spine surgery.

Glad you found us, I think you'll find there are many who relate and understand the post-op cervical spine recovery phases, as well as who'll be a good "buddy" with you and with compassion and support...and resulting in some good spiney friendships too!

Let us know how things go and if got a call off to the doctor, what they were able to advise / suggest.
    And in the meantime....be here and know we're with you in this difficult recovery phase >:D<

Janelle

• advertisement
  • Hello Silty and Welcome to Spine-health!!

I remember after my multi level lumbar fusion was up and down constantly...:). I totally agree with C and Joy in that it is all still so fresh that you probably just over did it but checking with your Surgeon never hurts anything!! I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Joy can I PM you with a few questions??:)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,361
    Welcome to spine health. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I understand your fears and concerns very well since I too had the same surgery as you on Oct 4. I have days that I feel like everything is great and others when I think oh no what have I done. I agree with the advice and suggestions the others have given you but am guilty of not calling my surgeon with my concerns. I always come here for reassurance and advice and then it seems like in a few days I'm usually back on track. It's just scary thinking something is wrong and that the surgery hasn't 'worked' I know.

If there's anything I can help you with or to just compare symptoms or problems please feel free to pm me. I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Debbie
  • Welcome to Spine Health!! *HUG*

Those before me have given you top notch advice. 2 months is very early, and this time of the year, yes we tend to overdue big time, and yes we pay for it in spades!

Most surgeons want their patients to heal from their surgeries, and too be as stress free as possible. I would give him a call with your concerns. Hopefully you will find as was stated here, you're still healing, and doing too much. Rest, relax and heal. :)

Again, Welcome aboard!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    hi silty,
    I too will echo the previous responses to your post. I am 3 plus years post-op of a multi-level fusion and rebuild of my cervical spine. I so remember having the very same fears you now experience. Sort of like that 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. One thing that all these surgeries has taught me is patience and learning not to worry. I also learned not to over-do it, I have a tendency to be an over achiever. Like it's been said, we never quit learning.
    Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery,
    Ranger
  • HI silty :wave: You have been given wonderful words of advice from the others, so I will just say "welcome to spine forum, I hope you improve soon " :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank You all for your wonderful replies. I did call the surgeons office and spoke to the NP. She told me if it got worse or did not improve after taking it easy call her mid week next week and he will have to see me.

I think with christmas shopping and im back to food shopping during the day when I have to lug it in myself..I have 5 kids under 12 that keep me busy.

I am now back to making my husband lug up laundry, take in groceries etc...

My only real concern is the daily headaches I am getting and the dizziness. The dizziness bothers me the most because right before my surgery I was so lightheaded I did not even want to drive. It is not that bad but its back so real nervous about it.

I didn't know if I should go to my nprimary care just ask for an xray to see if things look good or go to surgeon who is in Boston about an hour ride, my husband would have to take time off to drive me because I don't drive in Boston....

I think an xray would show if it failed or not...do you guys agree?

Thank you so much for all your replies.
  • Thank You all for your wonderful replies. I did call the surgeons office and spoke to the NP. She told me if it got worse or did not improve after taking it easy call her mid week next week and he will have to see me.

I think with christmas shopping and im back to food shopping during the day when I have to lug it in myself..I have 5 kids under 12 that keep me busy.

I am now back to making my husband lug up laundry, take in groceries etc...

My only real concern is the daily headaches I am getting and the dizziness. The dizziness bothers me the most because right before my surgery I was so lightheaded I did not even want to drive. It is not that bad but its back so real nervous about it.

I didn't know if I should go to my nprimary care just ask for an xray to see if things look good or go to surgeon who is in Boston about an hour ride, my husband would have to take time off to drive me because I don't drive in Boston....

I think an xray would show if it failed or not...do you guys agree?

Thank you so much for all your replies.
  • For what its worth - I had ACDF June 2009 C5-C7 also with compression. I felt great for 2 months, then I overdid it one day working around the yard. I was put on a Medrol dose pack which knocked the pain down, but when that med was done my ORIGINAL pain came back and I still have it to this day. No one can explain the 2 good months I had. I keep seeing doctors hoping one can find the magic answer.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.