advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

acdf Surgery in one week

Comments

• Hi Cyndi,
    I was wondering how you are doing.

We will be pleased to hear how things have gone and how your recovery is going.

:D
  • Hi Cyndi & Ceeny -

Oooh, I hear you two. I had 5-7 done 4 weeks ago, and my only symptoms were occasional leg numbness when picking up my son (NS weren't even sure it's related) and simply a bad MRI. Everything else - no sweat. I could run, bend, work, etc. It felt odd going into surgery feeling great - felt like I was the only person on this site who didn't have pain, just a really compromised spinal cord. My first post was 'surgery without symptoms'. So, I get it. Ultimately, the fear of permanent nerve loss won out over my hesitations about getting the surgery done. And I'm glad I did.

Still in recovery, but doing fine. I can now pick up my 2-yr-old, I'm taking walks, ROM is good, back at work... I tire out quicker, my neck is pretty wiped at the end of the day, and I can feel a bit of the plate, but other than that - I'm myself. Hosted two parties. Sleeping OK at night. I'm really glad I got it done, I'm simply so much more relaxed. Now - I need to remember to give myself time to heal. It's easy to go too fast.

If you'd like to contact me directly - please do. Happy to chat via email or phone. There were a few people who did that for me before surgery, and it was really helpful. Glad to pay it forward.

Best of luck!

Amy
    C5-7 ACDF
  • advertisement
  • Hi,

Hope you two are recovering well! I had my ACDF C4-C5 / C5-C6 completed March 16th. I'll be 6 weeks post op on Wednesday :) I have good and bad days. Typically by mid afternoon i'm experiencing neck pain. I'm still having some difficulty swallowing, however my Dr. says this is normal as they have to pull everything to one side to expose the spine during surgery. My NS was extremely happy with the surgery which made me feel a lot better!

I was in the hospital for 24 hours. I had a lot of trouble sleeping, however got some sleeping pills from my Dr. which really helped! I have an "Aspen" hard collar which I have to wear 7x24 with the exception of a shower. I have to wear this until June 22nd :< Took awhile to get use to it, however it's ok now. As I'm pretty active I am going a little crazy!! I'm off work for 3 full months. Feel free to ask any questions re my personal experience. Hope you guys are doing well. Hang in there as everyday gets better!
  • We had our surgery very close together so I'm really interested to follow your recovery! I had C5-7 done March 16th in Calgary, Alberta. Like you, I have some numbness in my leg, however it's a lot better now.

You're lifting your 2 year old?! I was told not to lift in excess of 5 pounds for the first month then 10 pounds until 3 months! My youngest is 19 so I wont be picking her up :))( We do have a new chocolate lab puppy though!

Are you wearing a collar? Any difficulty swallowing?
  • CyndiCCyndi Posts: 2
    edited 02/04/2013 - 6:59 AM
    After all this time I am still having issues with Pain, ROM, I am still not able to work, Anyone else out there having same issues? I had C 4-5 & C 5-6 done on April 12, 2011
    Cyndi~
  • advertisement
  • rnnomrerrnnomre New Jersey Posts: 8
    edited 02/08/2013 - 10:06 AM
    Cyndi,
    So sorry to hear you are still having pain! I can't imagine going through this surgery and then recovery with such results. You must be very frustrated. I am fortunate so far with great improvements overall. My issues were DDD & osteoarthritis with two nerves that were compromised. I also have Fibro. And Myofacial Pain Syndrome. Prior to surgery, my condition was quite deteriorated. I couldn't drive, do housework, shop etc etc. So, I am grateful for the improvements. Yes, I still have some neck pain which I believe has a lot to do with this Aspen collar that I must wear 24/7 until 4/29 ,ugh. Some pain is from my other diagnoses. One thing I must say is, my OS does not give me very much information at all. If I did not read these foum,s, I wouldn't know very much at all. He's a great surgeon but, lacks in the info department.
    Cyndi, I certainly hope, yours is more, forthcoming and that you get some relief from your pain. Have you had physical therapy?
  • rnnomrerrnnomre New Jersey Posts: 8
    Cyndi,
    So sorry to hear you are still having pain! I can't imagine going through this surgery and then recovery with such results. You must be very frustrated. I am fortunate so far with great improvements overall. My issues were DDD & osteoarthritis with two nerves that were compromised. I also have Fibro. And Myofacial Pain Syndrome. Prior to surgery, my condition was quite deteriorated. I couldn't drive, do housework, shop etc etc. So, I am grateful for the improvements. Yes, I still have some neck pain which I believe has a lot to do with this Aspen collar that I must wear 24/7 until 4/29 ,ugh. Some pain is from my other diagnoses. One thing I must say is, my OS does not give me very much information at all. If I did not read these foum,s, I wouldn't know very much at all. He's a great surgeon but, lacks in the info department.
    Cyndi, I certainly hope, yours is more, forthcoming and that you get some relief from your pain. Have you had physical therapy?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.