advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Note to self. Mopping Kitchen Floor= A Lot of freaking PAIN!

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Management
The user and all related content has been deleted.
advertisement

Comments

• dinner sounds great! I know what you mean after doing almost the identical yesterday, with a side of yard work. Sorry kym, hope you feel better.

=]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • KymBerly,

Sweeping, mopping, stooping, etc...we pay big time for those activities! A day and a half ago, I swept, vacuumed, cleaned the litter boxes, did laundry, and what did that earn me? 24+ hours in bed! No, we don't learn! (G)

Oh, and I thought I outsmarted pain by taking a lot of sitting breaks - NOT!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Any activity that involves sustained bending or twisting, even just for a couple of minutes, always leaves me in bad pain. I'm always surprised by how quickly the pain can escalate while doing simple things like washing, hoovering, carrying bags, and so on. I find that washing my hair is often really painful if it takes more than a couple of minutes, so now I always keep it short. I've also given up using a traditional razor for shaving - I use an electric one now so I can sit down and shave in relative comfort, without having to bend forward at all.

So many things that people without spine problems take for granted can be major pain generators for people like us. I've found I have to be very careful using my computer too. Overdoing it can really wreak havoc on a bad spine!
  • Huggy,

There are times just the slight bend when washing dishes escalates the pain scale but fast! I almost fell in the shower the other day, and what did my hubby do? God I love this man - he came home tonight with a shower chair for me! Is that cool or what?

I try to stretch out sweeping, laundry etc. I just didn't do a good job of it the other day. I am amazed that today you can do all this, tomorrow not even a quarter of it! Sigh...

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • so you would think I would stop too! My new theory is one good day equal's 3 or 4 bad day's...so, I pick my battles...wish I could say I am good at it..NOT...my hubby is good at helping, but, he don't do it as good as I do...lol...but, I never liked doing laundry anyway, so, i'm outta that now...lol...just keep trying...that's the best you can do! I hate a mess too! hugs and blessings, Suzie
  • Dirt is my friend. Those hairballs in the corner - Oh, aren't they cute? The dishes stacked in the sink are beautiful and the laundry, well, Wally loves to lay in the stacks, so I can't put them in the wash - where will he lay?

I'll sweep, but hubby does the mopping and vacuuming - when he's darned good and ready. So meanwhile, dirt is my friend. So is an extended swiffer duster. I simply can't do this stuff any more. I've had to learn to live with it until hubby's ready to help. I can sometimes spur him on by doing something I shouldn't and he'll come running to my aid, but I try not to play that card too often.

LOL - whatcha gonna do?

Cath
  • Kymberly, I so remember while recovering from my fusion last year, and the dirt collected. I live with my husband and oldest son, and they just don't seem to notice it. I would get so frustrated that it would drive me to do things I shouldn't have tackled.
    Kymberly, you shouldn't have been sweeping and mopping floors so early on in your recovery!

I am a year down the line now, and can do most things but vacuuming (heavy vacuum cleaner) and mopping still cause pain if I do it for very long at all. My physio told me I must never do more than one room a day.

I have been doing loads of laundry lately as we have just got back from holiday. Our kitchen floor was awful and we have guests coming tomorrow.
    My lovely husband swept and mopped it for me. :X Then he vacuumed the downstairs of the house. He doesn't usually do this so it meant a lot to me. I am having a pain flare at the moment, so he wanted to be helpful.

I am just going to have to learn to love the dirt.
    I'll take your advice Cathie, and think of those dust balls as little cute pets. :D
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.