advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

l4-l5-s1 surgery

Comments

• armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 129
    I read most of the posts under how long it will take and now I am depressed!! I know 2 people personally that had the same operation as me and both are older than me and both said they felt good enough to work immediately after they got home. My doctor assures me that my recovery depends on me. I have a very laid back job. I do autocad for a company. I figure if I am sitting at home on my computer, I can do it for a paycheck. I am hoping that my body is as resiliant as my my friends'. The good thing about my job is that I can get up and walk around any time I need. They understand my situation.
  • I will be thinking of you on that day. It's a special day for you and me...it's my 40th birthday & my next appointment to see my dr. I am going to convince him to start moving forward a lil faster to help me. Like you, I hate this pain taking over my life. I am crying as I type this. My youngest daughter told me tonight that she feels like she lost her mom to this monster. My husband is having a hard time with it all too because he is trying to figure out our finacial situation without me working. I want to ignore it and go on with life but it's impossible. God bless you on Monday, my thoughts are with you. Good luck & let us know how you do.
  • advertisement
    I have tried to cry but it doesnt help. So whats the use of wasting that energy for me? I am not saying anything about your pain or ways of dealing with it but I understand your pain. I told my doctors that if they dont fix this I will figure a way to not hurt anymore no matter what it may be. I know that is selfish for the people around me and the ones that care for me but they dont have to deal with this. I hope your pain goes away completely!! After several years, any pain relief is like heaven. I hope your situation improves!
    The hardest part of this whole situation was writing out my will. There is a possibility something could go wrong and my pain will be gone forever. But the pain of my loved ones will start and I would rather feel what I have now then let them hurt any.
    I am sure you understand what its like to feel bad and feel like it will never get better. But for both of our sake, I hope we can both get some relief and not be awake at all time of night wondering when we will get to sleep.

Good luck to you.
  • I normally don't cry unless I am in extreme pain and the meds aren't working & it's because I get so frustrated & helpless. The reason I started crying reading your post was I am so happy you are almost there. In my opinion, getting a true diagnosis is half the battle. You are going to do well I feel it. Im happy for you. I'm going to blow out my candles Monday but first I am making my wish for your surgery to go well & for you to have a speedy recovery! Don't forget about us here when you are out & about in the world again doing the things you love without the thought of pain ever again!
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope you too get what you need out of this unfortunate situation. Behind every trial and tribulation there is a gift. I know it makes us stronger for any problem that may arise. It will remind us that we have been through far worse and that things can only get better. Good luck with your recovery and I hope that I feel as good as everyone says I will... and you too.
  • advertisement
  • Wow, your surgery is coming up so fast...May 23rd, that is wonderful news. Please know that you will be in my thoughts on that day, and am sending good vibes that you have great pain relief and solid fusion.
    Things seem to move slowly where I live, I meet with my surgeon in June and then hope to get a date for my surgery.
    Hope you will keep us updated as you get closer to your surgery and how you make out after.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
    I just got the list of the things I am having done.

L4-5-S1 lumbar laminectomy
    discectomy
    arthrodesis
    cages, hardware
    cages and
    bone growth stimulator

whatever that is, I get em on Monday. I am gonna be looking them all up here tonight.
  • I JUST WANTED TO SAY GOOD LUCK,AND STAY FOCUSED ON GETTING BETTER,I AM EXCITED FOR YOU,AND HOPE ALL GOES WELL.IF YOU ARE ABLE PLEASE LETS US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.MY PRAYERS AND BEST WISHES.TAKECARE
    You guys have been a great support group and its been great talking to you all. Thanks again and I will let you know when I am done how it is, unless something comes up.
  • Hello all I am up and can't sleep. I have been searching for advice and came across this site. I know being in pain is very hard and you just want to give up sometimes. Well I'm 26 yrs old and got hurt on the job back in 2009. I herniated 4 disc in my lower back from L3 to S1. Anyone who has gone through workers comp know it's a nightmare. Number one for the ones who fake injuries and try to scam the system make it hell for people with a legitimate claim. Long story short if dealing with workers comp get representation. It will be two years this august and I just had my 3rd surgery a month and a half ago. I "HAD" been on pain pills all types that whole time but can say I have not had a pain pill in a month. Every once in a while I'll pop a Tylenol. I am dealing with soreness sometimes extreme but not the pain that I was in.

My first surgery June 2010 I had a laminectomy. I was having extreme hip and right leg pain on top of extreme lower back pain. Surgeon went in on l4/l5 that was my largest herniation and I guess shaved away to ease up the hip and leg pain. I was up and walking right away but it never got rid of lower back pain and take away hip and leg pain. Let me remind you on workers comp you have to jump through loop holes. Prior to 1st surgery I had nerve testing, several PT sessions, Steriod injections nothing helped.

2nd Surgery February 2011: After first surgery lamenectomy I was still in extreme back pain. Had more cat scans, MRI and x-ray conclusion was anterior fusion because my disk was now compleltly dead at L4/L5. Basically the surgeon went in through my abdominal and removed my dead disk and replaced it with a cadaver bone and a metal plate and screws. Once the surgeon had opened me up and saw how much space was made do to wear and tear basically I would need 3rd surgery (posterior fusion)

After 2nd surgery I was in even more pain had to be hospitalized two weeks later for pain control (I was pending authorization for 3rd surgery) then was bed ridden for a month.

3rd Surgery was April 2011 Surgeon went in through my back and put in another metal plate at my l4/l5 fixed a kinked nerve and tighten screws on anterior metal plate. I was up and walking a few hours after my surgery. I experienced extreme leg pain for a couple days due to swelling but it improved. I have been wearing a back brace since my second surgery and will be in it until July at least. I am up and walking every day though its a slow pace I am up to 4 miles on some days other days is only 20 mins. So I have my ups and downs. I am still very sore and have some hip and right leg pain. But let me tell you compared to the pain I have been in since 2009 I big difference right now. I still have a long ways to go with recovery and how everything will play out but number one though it's hard, Stay Positive.

Back in 2009 I cried every day for several months and wanted to stop this fight that feels never ending but there's hope. I was doing the career I wanted my whole life and was raised around. I still don't know if I will be fit for duty but time will tell. I convinced myself obviously God or whatever your beliefs are has different plans. Take life one day at a time that's all you can do.

My pain management doctor did put me on an antidepressant a while back ago and that helps dealing with the constant struggles we go through mentally just by being in pain. I'm sorry you all are going through what you are going through but don't give up continue to fight that fight. Go by your doctors orders do not over do it, listen to your body take care of yourself. This will help the healing process. My prayers go out to each and everyone of you. Best of wishes and cheers to the day we can wake up one morning and be like wow I feel pretty good today. With will power, courage, strength, a positive attitude and faith that day will come. God Bless -Aubrey
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.