advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

It's showtime, Permanent SCS tomorrow...

BionicMomRNBBionicMomRN Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I've got my bag packed for the most part, didn't sleep last night so I should sleep good tonight. I spent a good part of the day on distraction activities (pedicure, lunch out, etc) I should be home Thurs or Fri, I'm taking my laptop so I will try to check in and let y'all know how it went. Thanks for all the input during my nervous nellie phase, I'm ready to get it done! The hospital just called to confirm and remind me I'm NPO at midnight (duh, I'm a nurse I knew that)...she's a friend of mine so she reminded me I'll be fine and she'll be with me when I wake up. So, here we go!
advertisement

Comments

• with your SCS implant today. Great that you took a day of pampering yourself.

You will be in my thoughts. Wishing you great success and decreased pain.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • You will be just fine. Hope SCS help as much as mine does. Will be thinking of you.

Jim
  • advertisement
  • Fingers crossed for you that all will go well.
  • Thanks everyone, off to the shower and out the door. :O
  • I do hope this will be the answer to your prayers and kicks your pain out the door!!

The surgery is not bad at all!! Keeping you in my thoughts.

Patsy W
  • advertisement
  • Sitting in my hospital bed...

I remember pretty much nothing from the surgery or immediate post op. That wasn't bad, had quite an audience for the surgery as they don't do this particular surgery very often here. So, lots of peeps I know and work with, now know me much better ;)

All the local has worn off and I'm pretty damn sore now. The incisions aren't where he told me they would be...but oh well. The IPG is actually implanted right on my side, not my abdomen...still near my ribs as opposed to my hip. Did I mention that I'm sore...ouch :( I know this pain should get better faster than when I had my fusion. So far, the morphine, percocet, AND norco aren't helping too much. I go back to my PM doc on Monday to see the rep and get some more programming done. I remember my rep talking to me about post-op programming...honestly I can't remember if he told me he would turn it on today or not and my torso hurts too much to tell. Oh well...the deal is done and now I'm on to the newest chapter!

Thank you again for all the positive thoughts and all that jazz. I'll keep you posted.

~Toni
  • I'm glad you are done, but weird they implanted in a different position that what you had planned huh?

Your surgeon (or someone) will let you know about programming in the morning and probably don't expect you to remember-lol.

I hope you get a lot of relief from the SCS.
  • Instant itching, redness, and huge hives. Great. So, Dilaudid and Toradol shall now be my friends. Definitely stay on top of the pain, it isn't worth trying to tough it out. I know all this as a nurse, but I sure am a lousy patient.
  • Glad to see you are alert! Sorry about the hives, though. What a bummer. I remember the engineer from Boston Scientific waiting on me in recovery and wanting to start programming me right away. I was not very interested in that at the moment, but we persevered and got it done and then she came to my room a bit later and worked on it again. I imagine that the same thing will happen on Tuesday when I have my revision. At least it will be a morning surgery this time. The last time it was early evening by the time I was in recovery and I'm sure she was ready to leave the hospital.
    Have a good day today!
  • It was a long night with not much sleep. I woke up this morning and the IPG site is super swollen...my surgeon thought I was okay, but it sure does burn (now I understand the comments about the site burning). My St Jude rep came out about 0830 and programmed me with several options, showed me how to run the thing. Turns out my T12 laminectomy ended up being T8-T9...they advanced the lead because they were actually able to get coverage to my lower back. Anyway, I'm parked in my recliner with an icepack on my side and honestly feeling pretty punk at the moment, I'm sure some sleep would help...I'll work on that. I'm in an "I don't feel good and don't give a damn" mood so I'll sign off for now...thought I'd let you know I made it home :)
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.