advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I don't know what to do....

Comments

• I had a partially dislocated shoulder and required surgery and was unable to use that arm. It's easier to put on clothes by putting your sore arm in a sleeve first(the affected arm) then your good arm afterwards and keep icing your shoulder and neck.

I'm glad you have your Mother and BF helping you though even though it must be hard to be so dependent on them right now and hope it's only temporary while your nerve calms down. Did you take a round of steroids yet? Sorry I can't remember if you said you had.

What may help for your 'girls' and in fact every woman should be wearing a good sleep bra at night especially a large size woman. The one I wear is so comfortable I don't even notice wearing one and it does up in the front and much easier to put on.

It's okay to feel frustrated in the position you're in now and your Mom would be better to cut your food up first before giving your plate to you so you'll feel more independent eating and more dignified. I hope you're getting the MRI of your arm soon. Praying your arm gets better. Charry. gentle >:D<

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • omg Debbie, you are too funny, thanks for making me smile :)

omg Charry! That must have been so painful, I can't even imagine. Yes, I do put my bad arm in first, put my arm through, then pick it up and rest it on the top of my dresser which is really tall, get the rest of me in and straighten everything out. It's a process, for sure. I did take steroids, the first week after, but that was it. Thank you both for your posts, I really do appreciate them!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • advertisement
  • Have you tried searching the Internet for suggestions for arm amputees? You may be able to find out some good tips and tricks on how to do everyday things.

"C"
  • No, I haven't, I did think of it actually, but figured because they can move their prosthesis normally it wouldn't really be relevant. I should look for semi-paralysis I guess. Thanks, C!
    Kelly
  • First things first, I am sending you a hug and a prayer. You are so sweet and have been awesome chatting and supporting me. I want to support you also. I am glad to hear that Cymbalta is helping you manage your feelings. The aftermath and healing time is stressful and especially so for a person who has always been very independent and does not like to "lean".
    coming from a person who has a very hard time asking for and accepting help and has been accused of "working the superwoman" thing :) I think I understand a bit :)
    You must be so frustrated and maybe a bit angry about the lack of use of your arm. I hope that time and the pt help. I have home pt with 2 great therapists who switch back and forth. I also had pt, ortho and home nursing after my first surgery this year.
    I awoke from my second (TLIF) surgery with my right arm not moving. I regained movement, though limited and still have pain and numbness in the thumb and first finger. they tell me it is all nerve damage and hope it will regenerate. Wish I had a great way to tell you to address the bra issue. I need some assistance in dressing and self care but have not come up with any great tips. I think searching the internet sounds like a great way to go.

I was so sad to read about your decision with your bf. At this time you really do need all the support and help you can have. Can I ask, when you told him to go ahead, how did he react? is this what he wants to do? I don't know anything about your relationship, but I am hoping that he can let you know if he can stand by you or if he just can't.
    I am blessed, married when I was 20 and now at 51 we are still together and have weathered many stresses, though I will be the first to say this one was something that we could not even begin to forecast. He tries and has been helpful but he just does not want to talk or know the details. an example would be that when I had to go to speak with the surgeon and discuss the details of each surgery he said he would take me, but couldn't go in and hear the details, it just makes him too nervous. He said he can be stronger when he doesn't have it all in his mind.
    I am lucky, I know. I wish for you the very best in a bf and hope yours may be able to be there for you or at least honest with himself and you.

It seems like it would make the most sense to stay where you are. I am not familiar with the area, but I have a tough time being just 60 miles from my doc office. I would hate to see you have to travel more than you can manage.
    take good care of yourself Kelly!
    we are here for you,
    Bonnie
  • advertisement
  • Thanks so much for your post. It really does make me feel better to hear about others who have gone through the same thing. I'm so glad that you've got at least some of the mobility back in yours. I just told someone else that I don't care if I get 100% back, as long as I can lift it, I don't care. It hurts to have it just dangling there! I do think I got a little bit more mobility in it the past couple of days though, and, I was able to move my bicep a little today! Took a lot of concentration, but I did it! I have a question for you, with yours, did you get hot spots on your arm? I get them on my upper arm just below my shoulder, one spot that will be super hot to the touch while the rest of my arm is normal. Did you do any physio for it? I'm still waiting to hear when they can arrange the home pt for me.

I called the hospital today (Monday) and they got me in Tuesday for my MRI. Which is awesome, but left me scrambling to arrange a driver to take me, but the base hospital pulled through and got one for me. The hospital that I had my surgery at, and where these appointments are is a 2 hour drive away. They got me in on the 7th to see the neuro that the ns referred me to. So, hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have some answers. But I'm pretty sure that I will just hear the old stand-by "it will take time". Seems to be their catch-all phrase when it comes to damaged nerves.

As for my bf, well, it was our plan that he would go ahead of me anyways, so I told him just to go, he'd be better off without me dragging him down anyways. He told me not to be silly, that everything would be okay, and if it took a few months for me to get up there, then so be it. He has work waiting for him up there, whereas here he is not working. Which has been so great to have him home with me. He has been so great with recovery with this surgery, so helpful. Too helpful sometimes, lol. But he's been wonderful. That's so great that you've shared such a great marriage with your husband. I too was married at 20. And divorced at 30, lol.

Anyways, hope you're doing okay, chat soon!
    Kelly
  • Guess who?

Geeze how I have missed SH!!

I just read what everyone posted and I agree, wholeheartedly, with what has been said.

I have been through the not being able to do anything... wondering if my muscles and nerves will come back to life... throughout my entire core and the waist down. All I can add is that I am now 70% there through PT, my home exercise programs and aqua therapy.

The bra thing? I can finally wear one, but HOLY COW... bra's just aren't for me anymore and I even went up in circumference, so as not to hit my problem thoracic bones. I still use the shelved bra tops and just layer my shirts.

You are ALWAYS the giver, caretaker, make everyone happy, gal. It is YOUR turn now to be taken care of while you recover. You are LOVED and your family wants to help! YOU DESERVE TO BE PAMPERED!!!

I pray that your arm improves, Kelly. I know that scary feeling of "What if these muscles and nerves don't wake up" VERY well. It does raise our anxiety levels, but when it's time for PT sessions... you just do your best and stick with it. Take each day as it comes.

Thinking of you, always.

Love ya sis,

Tammy

(((HUGS))) to everyone on this thread. I have missed you all.

• Great you're getting your MRI soon! I'm happy you moved your bicep and hope your whole arm improves soon.

Hey Tammy-Great to see you! I hope you're doing great. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much Tammy and Charry!

Well, had my MRI done Tuesday night. I see the neuro next Thursday, and back again the following Tuesday to see the NS. Hopefully will have some answers, but I`m pretty sure it will just be an `it will take time` answer. I also got the phone call from home care yesterday, my physiotherapist should be coming within the next 2 weeks. I can`t wait to start that, my muscles are really painful. The past 3 days have been horrible with the nerve and muscle pain, I`ve finally got a grip on it and it`s settled down a bit.

I was talking to one of the guys from my support group, he had the exact same thing happen. He told me that it was 3 months before he started getting any movement. So, after talking to him, and everyone here, I feel better about it, knowing that it won`t be permanent, but still have that little but of fear tugging at the back of my mind.
    Kelly
  • Hey Kelly!!

It was great catching you in chat!! :)

Like I mentioned and it seems your friend bears it out, nerves heal slowly, so you don't want to give up, or really get bummed yet!!

Now if this happened 2 or 3 months post op, yeah I would worry more, but 'fresh' out of surgery, I am still thinking the nerves will come back. Sticking with ya woman!! *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.