advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did we need it? Or do we want it?

Comments

• Howdy Alex! Doing much better now that I am back in the hospital (hoping to be sprung Tuesday!!), and my pain management is back under control. IF it stays that way, homeward bound I will be. Sorry for the quick hijack there Ron.

I agree with you too Alex in the "Doctor speak"... I am guilty I know of some of that. I've been poked and prodded enough that I decided to learn this stuff so they aren't speaking "Greek" to me. I think, like myself, some of that translates onto here. :)

I too like you, "don't see medical issues for why here", or "medical issues" period that would cause the need, or "what should I tell the doctor I need for pain?!?" etc., my radar comes up too Alex - I think many here can side with your feelings there.... *HUGZ*

Doing better in baby steps...thanks for asking!! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I agree for sure when more then 1 dr tells someone something they beter get there listening ears on. Because 1 dr could be wrong but 2 dr,s saying the same thing confirms there has to be some truth to it,

What i noticed in my 2 years here is so often the advise is call your dr even when that person is already under the care of a dr And its not like they have not had follow up visit with there dr after there surgery or procedure of any kind,

When some of the complaints are sometimes somewhat normal after a surgery and dr already knows about it there is no use in calling the dr to complain about something he already knows about, and anything beyond that will be brought to his attention next dr visit,

The posts that scare me is when someone says, I am way too bad to have surgery,
    Last i looked you have to be bad enough to have surgery, There is no such thing as i am so bad they wont do surgery,

When someone says my dr wont listen to me, Is it posible its the other way around, Dr might have heard everything loud and clear. Its the patient that has to listen to what the dr has to say,

If someone knows beter then the dr then they should just simply treat themself,

Spine health is a great place to vent and you know people do understand, But that also only goes so far. As anything else in life, Too much of anything is not healthy,
    And talking about your health and pain day in day out is in no way a solution or healthy for the mind,

The brain can lock in on a persons pain and every ache and discomfort in there life and cant let go, This in my view is 1 of the causes that brings on the depression in many,

Sometimes thinking outside the box of a persons health issues is the key to beter health,

If you hurt and afraid to walk because you might fall? If you fall you fall. You can get back up,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • Hey Papa Ron,
    I sure know those types you are referring to.
    I have heard people even chatting in my surgeons waiting area, oh oh Looking at the Mri results I know I need surgery.
    Even after all the tests, scans I have had the actual reports, scare me. They make look as if your falling apart.
    As for me I'm jumping for joy nothing showed up on my last scan. (they still searching for some answers but yippie not my spine)ok not jumping Yet.
    I have seen some wachos that thrive on the attention of a hospital staff or just being in the hospital. I had few roomies they laugh, have great ole time on phone and big party with visitors, soon as that attention dies down, they are ringing the staff with pain, or they are so so sick. These people should be sent to the phyco ward. I have been in hospital many times I can't take people coming to see me or I can't even chat on the phone.
    But for sure they are out there and I'm sure here also,( I believe as sick as I find it to be)they are in desperate need of attention.
    I just love sitting in waiting area of docs office, such as my surgeons. People diagnosing themselves when they have the mri report,(which after all these yrs and so many, they still read Chinese)but they are determined because they are in a surgeons office they are going to need surgery. I love looking at there faces when they come out and doc says nope your good go back to work. (ok thin walls and yes I shouldn't listen but I do)
    I don't want ever to be cut open again. period.... but there are just some wackos out there.
    Hey there Alex, how are you doing, I have to agree with you(hmm I must me drugged up)you can't day after day dwell in it...have to keep going, and moving.
    When I get down I just go hang out with Alex and well then I realize I'm in good shape, brain wise also..jk hugs

I think it is so sick there are docs out there that will, do operate on people when they don't need it... I have met few of these docs.. sharpening there knives as I sat in there office.
    I got so many opinions and had 4 docs all on same page, but few that wanted to do surgery asap and not got thru injections,or try pt.I had one neurosurgeon that said he would do 3 levels just play it safe because down the road they may blow out anyways.
    I got up fast and didn't stop and I did type a nice letter to head of hospital. That doc retired with in 4 months, hmm something was not right there. But had I not done my homework or just perhaps believe this idiot, I would have had surgery,so for sure there are docs out there waiting n willing for those patients that may or may not need surgery.
    I feel for those people that want surgery any even if they say "simple procedure" any cutting open our bodies is dangerous.
    tc
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • wow way long post been up since 3am here sorry all
    and thanks if you read my post
    hey brenda glad to see you posting girl don't over do things
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well - this is an interesting subject. About 10 years ago, my Dr was steering me toward surgery. Then, after a weekend of him being away, I was steered away from it. At the time - I was looking to surgery to fix/repair some of the issues that had been 20 year symptoms.

Today - I can say that I have never been cut- but only because of the research that I did about my specific problem, and not trying to second guess my Dr or push him to my conclusion. Because of my age when these issues started, I kept looking at 40 year outcomes. I wanted to be at least 70 before I got into real trouble with some of this.

How do I feel - well - I have been going through what can only be described as a high pain cycle. Now - this is the second year for such an issue, same time of year - almost the same problems. I stay curious because the answer will arise at some point.

I never will Dr shop, because I look at it this way, if the first one cannot get it right - what is the percentage of luck that the two Dr's meet on the squash court and talk out patients. By the time the guys are off the court - both have their mind made up. BTW - I have watched this happen twice.

I hold myself to a higher standard - but that is because I need to look after myself better than anyone else. Guess what - I am really the only one who can think for me and fix myself.

Internal locus - of focus! Cheers C
  • advertisement
  • Brenda, I'm so happy you're out of that so-called-rehab hospital!! I can't begin to imagine how awful that was!!! One thing for sure, they messed with the wrong woman!!!
    We can thank God you're out of there, and in a hospital where they can get your pain under some control. That had to be a living nightmare!!! Good grief, what the heck were they trying to do? Hopefully, you'll be going home Tuesday.
    I am so happy you're able to post again!!! We missed your kind, reasuring wisdom!!!
    You have so much heart and spirit! I've said this so much, you have been and continue to be a true inspiration!!! Not only in S-H, but all the people you touch. We are so blessed to have you in S-H!!! Thank you, spine sister!!! Gentle hugs and prayers, Brenda C.
    PS. Finding a true friend is always a gift, even if you find them because of pain. It's like after a storm, a beautiful rainbow!

• After reading this topic on want and need, and reading again, I'm puzzled!
    Who is paying for surgeries that are wanted but not needed? I only know if you have health insurance there are many guidines you must meet in order to have most surgeries. The insurance companies can deny any test, imaging, procedure and surgery. From what I have researched, anything having to do with the spine, because they feel this has led to failed spine surgery! I am not any kind of expert on anything. So, who pays for wanted and not needed? If there are people who shop around for drugs, procedures,& surgeries and they don't need these things, all I can say is that's beyond sad!!! Maybe I'm clueless and naive. Maybe, that's why my health insurance for my husband and I pay $1400.00 a month premium and still have a large deductible of $2500.00. ( we own our business ). Sick is sick, rather it be in the mind or body! Ultimately, as a caring society, we care about our human race. Peace and health, Brenda C.

• I've had one spinal surgery and will be very pleased if it is the only one. I never want to go through that again, ever.

But I can sort of understand how some people enjoy being the focus of attention and sympathy and above criticism (who would criticize someone about to have, or has just had major surgery).

And it does make you more interesting does it not? I mean "spine surgery" versus "back ache" - no contest!

I spent a few months in a wheelchair and got to meet other wheelchair users and was able to talk to them and discuss stuff without embarassment.
    When I finally left the chair behind I felt that link had been broken and I missed it.

I know it's not the same as wanting more surgery, but it's similar psychology.

What strange creatures we are.

Mick

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • Brenda,

Thanks very much, I figured I should have had my named changed to 'Brenda Hell..." Hehehehe. All seems unscrewed now, and trying to be getting back on track!

Here is something sweet and wonderful that came today - flowers, nope not from the hubby, nor from my former job or co-workers, not from my federal FOP lodge, but from my hubbies IBEW lodge of all things! Is that sweet or what? I know for me it blew me away for sure!!! :)

I missed you guys too!!! I was solo for my first two fusions, so nice and warm feeling to have you all here for my last 2!! Big, *HUGZ* to you all!!! :)

Brenda
  • Howdy Mary,

Yeah your post was long, but a very good and pointed one - nothing wrong with that woman!! I know (fortunately) the "cut happy" surgeon's aren't too common on 3 levels and above, as their chance of ending up in jail move up "fast and furious" in the fubars from what I can see!!!!Rofla!!!

Wind effects of Hurricane Rina becoming more evident...hummm.... Right around when Wilma hit us in '05' - sigh - lost our roof on that bugger! (G)

No, there are some sick puppies out there that thrive on "being sliced an diced..or..just as simple as attention in a hospital." All I can say is, is said person must have had a very sad life is all I can say to that.... :(

Brenda
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.