advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 level ACDF (C5-6-7) scheduled for Wednesday!

Comments

• ended up fainting today (fortunately, I had the good sense to sit down first!) and had to go by ambulance to the ER. My blood pressure was so low they couldn't get a reading...my blood work showed dehydration. So, I am now going to REALLY monitor what I am eating and drinking. My neighbor just brought over some gatorade packets...so I am having a slushy.

My 10 mins are up for now, but will post tomorrow.
    thanks for all the love, encouragement and support!
    Jan

• That must have felt scarey!
    Hopefully it was just a wake up call and your recovery will go smoothly from now on.

Do look after yourself and let your body recovery from the surgery and heal itself.

Have a Peaceful Christmas >:D<

• advertisement
  • Good to hear from you post-op. Man, fainting - that's scary and I'm sure hubby was terrified while you were going to the ER.

With the sore throat, it's so easy to get dehydrated because eating and drinking is so difficult and you just don't want to bother with it. But I'm glad that you're addressing it and hope you begin healing anew.

Take care of yourself and thanks for keeping us updated.

Cathie
  • Hi all...saw my surgeon's colleague today. No news is good news. I am continuing to improve daily...biggest problem has been constipation (sorry!), but weaning off pain meds so that should help.

Tried to start wearing my $5000 bone growth stimulator and ended up in tears. It's so heavy and puts pressure on the area between my shoulder and neck (which is where most of my pain is), that I can't wear it! I called my surgeon's office as well as the rep, and they also called and emailed the rep...so hopefully we can get some help with it. I'm supposed to wear it 4 hours a day for 6 months...yeah, that is not gonna happen! :(

No driving or physical therapy for 2 more weeks, but then I should be good to go. I can hardly wait to be more independent.

Again, thank you all for your support and encouragement. I hope I can help others on this site as much as you have helped me!

Jan
  • Jan, Thanks for taking the time to sit at the computer and post your progress...I'm facing similar surgery probably next month, not scheduled yet..and it helps me to see your recovery process and progress..makes me not so nervous about facing this kind of surgery. Hope you continue to feel better!
    xoxoxo
    Meg
  • advertisement
  • Hi...just wanted to update you all. I am doing better than I expected at this point. My main complaint is a headache, but I think that's from wearing the bone growth stimulator and the pressure/weight it puts on my shoulders. I ordered some neck travel pillows which should come tomorrow, so hopefully that will help.

I am really BORED!! It's so hard for me not to 'do'. My wonderful hubby did take me to the library yesterday so I got 3 books to read.

I am enjoying our 80 degree southern california weather with lots of brief walks and just sitting outside.

I see my surgeon on the 12th and hope he releases me to drive and start PT at that time (which will be 4 weeks). I'm almost off pain meds completely and able to eat most things now. My voice is fine,but my arms definitely feel weak.

Hope everyone is doing well and that your new year is off to a great start!

Blessings,
    Jan

• It sounds like you are on the way to being fully recovered. Don't let the boredom and feeling so good tempt you to over do it! Many have walked that path before you and have regretted it.

Give your body the time to completely heal. What are all those things that you have always wished you had time to do? Now is the time to do them.

I love hearing good stories like yours. It gives me hope that if / when I have cervical surgery, I will cope with it and get back to being more comfortable.

Keep trusting and keep healing
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Hi everyone,been reading your posts,glad to see PH Mom is doing well,I will be having anterior cervical decompression with disc removal and pedical screws and fusion, hopefully have some bone spurs trimmed. I'm going to see my spinal surgeon on 17th Jan so will have a chat with him then as to an approximate date for surgery.My only hold back is I am currently recovering from L5/S1 for spondylolisthesis surgery I had 17th Nov 2011 again with pedical screws and fusion,doing ok so far (same surgeon for both operations).
    I was worried about having my neck done as they want to remove the disc and put in a cage with bone graft,I currently can not tip my head back at all due to extreme pain,but can tip my head forwards with little pain,I am worried I will no longer be able to look down when it's fused as my neck would be more rigid.How have you all got on with this?

Thanks Des
    desb63
  • Very glad to hear about your 3 weeks post - op. I'm sure I will be the same way when they do my surgery with the boredom part. My friends tease me now as I keep trying to work with one good arm.

But I will definitely take jellyhalls recommendations though and NOT overdo it or rush back to normal routines. No matter how difficult it can be.

I have my assessment with my NS tomorrow after completing the 2nd MRI - starting to get a wee bit anxious - but definitely trying to go there with the "glass half full" mentality. I have no doubt regardless what can get thrown at me - with a positive attitude - every thing will be ok.

Thanks for sharing your updates - and keep going strong.

J.
  • Hi Des...
    I had ACDF at C5-6 and 6-7, so two levels. I have a plate and screws, which I know is different than the cage. At 3 weeks post op, I have about the same flexibility of tipping back (but without my arm going numb), but my forward motion is more limited. I am hoping this gets better with time and physical therapy. My NS said he thought my ROM would be better post-op than it was before, even having 2 levels fused. Hope that helps.
    Jan
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.