advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lessons Learned

FocusFFocus Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Depression and Coping
I will be the first to admit that being young and in considerable pain day in and day out takes its toll on your personality and quality of life. Compound this with other personal struggles and it is almost too much to bear. I want to write this as a lesson I learned recently. My pain and family problems elevated my depression to a level where I attempted suicide twice in a matter of weeks. Yes I did get help and no the situation at home did not get better in fact I am now a single dad (she found someone new and "healthy") my pay was cut drastically and it looked hopeless. What I took away from all of this is ask for help I did not until it was almost too late and while I have my trials and troubles I can deal with them in a healthy manner. Somedays we spend so much time focusing on the bad that we do not see the good our lives have for us no matter how small that one thing is. Hold onto life cherish the good moments no matter how short or pain free (tolerable) they are. I write this because I know I am not the only one here that has had these thoughts cross their minds and from a survivor i am here to tell you this is so not the right path to take yes it may be easy but the pain you are in is minimal to the pain you will leave behind. I do not want to come across preachy or pointing fingers it is not my intention I just want to say from my point of view it does get better we may just not see it today.
Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
Lumbar surgery 2009
Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
Neurostimulator 2010
Heart ablation 2011
Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    Thank you for maintaining your strength and clear "Focus". You are not alone in this journey of pain, problems, and loss of spouses - girlfriends to our spinal issues. I amire your not taking the "easy" way out.

I/We are here for you. Feel frre to PM me and we can trade notes/shoulders ... and share shoulders if/when needed.

Warmest Holiday Regards,

Dave

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    ...of you to even think of us..think of others...and share your most vulnerable thoughts.

It is so good you were unsuccessful in your attempts and you are still posting to add to the quality of our lives.

I know those thoughts have taken up residency in my mind...so you are not being preachy...but have touched me with much more to think about.

It may be a bit more lonely a road for you...but it sounds like you have a kind of peace about it. It's not always easy...but I so agree...life is a little easier when we pay attention to the blessings..little or big..through out our day.

Thanks and hope you have a pain controlled day.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • I found this forum after my accident and it became a place I could learn and sympathize with others in my situation or similar. I would honestly say that never in my lifetime would I have ever seen myself at that breaking point in my life. Today I look at things through clearer eyes with my focus on my kids and moving on. The pain will always be with me but I could always have it so much worse. As the holidays approach I know many suffer from depression and anxiety and if my experiences can help just one person through a bad time in their lives that is what I wish for.
    Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
    Lumbar surgery 2009
    Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
    Neurostimulator 2010
    Heart ablation 2011
    Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.