advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

MD Decided That I No Longer Need Pain Meds

Comments

• wow wow & wow! A very big eye opener this whole experience has been. I am sad you suffered so much to learn all that you now know :(

The lesson I myself take away from this is to talk more to my Drs.

After reading this I think you are in good hands after all :)

Yeah I too think you should start a new thread as that is a whole different topic ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • MsHumptyDumpty said:
    wow wow & wow! A very big eye opener this whole experience has been. I am sad you suffered so much to learn all that you now know :(

The lesson I myself take away from this is to talk more to my Drs.

After reading this I think you are in good hands after all :)

Yeah I too think you should start a new thread as that is a whole different topic ;)
    I think it's partly my fault and partly my doctor's fault that I didn't understand the goal of the injections I got a few weeks ago. I mean, I knew that they were diagnostic because he had told me that if I got relief from those injections, then the RF ablation would likely work well for me. But he didn't specify that the pain relief would only last for a few hours after the procedure. I thought they were also putting steroids in the injections and that I was SUPPOSED to also get lasting pain relief...which I didn't...and now find out that I wasn't supposed to.

So yeah, he could have explained things better and if he had, I might have reacted differently. I think this was a simple case of the doctor rushing in and rushing out as they normally do and leaving the patient with unanswered questions that they may not even know they had. I think it was a good lesson for me and could be for others as well. After that first appointment with him, I left there feeling as if he didn't give a crap about me and feeling like his plan was to stick a bunch of needles in my back and if that didn't work then I was basically out of luck. He seemed genuinely surprised by my comments yesterday and my understanding of how things were supposed to happen. I think that's why he spent a little more time with me and made sure I understood things.

And it might have even been BECAUSE I'm a nurse that he assumed I understood things. But I wasn't that kind of nurse and I've never had any experience with medial branch blocks or RF ablations and what the expectations are supposed to be. Who knows....the bottom line is that he and I did not communicate effectively and therefore I was feeling abandoned.
  • advertisement
  • I 10000% agree ! I hope you don't think I was finger pointing at you. I was finger pointing at the Dr ;)

I am sure it was in part of you being a nurse. AS well as a combine of him rushing too fast.

I meant for us to REALLY talk to our Drs and make SURE we knew/understood EVERYTHING :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • MsHumptyDumpty said:
    I 10000% agree ! I hope you don't think I was finger pointing at you. I was finger pointing at the Dr ;)

I am sure it was in part of you being a nurse. AS well as a combine of him rushing too fast.

I meant for us to REALLY talk to our Drs and make SURE we knew/understood EVERYTHING :D

I definitely did NOT feel you were finger pointing, but it was sort of an "Ah Ha" moment for me when I realized that he ASSumed that I understood everything when I didn't. And I probably THOUGHT I understood everything too, but I didn't. I blame both of us...the doctor and myself.

I think the breakdown in my particular situation was that I didn't know the right questions to ask and he assumed I knew it already because I'm a nurse. So I left there NOT understanding and feeling like he and my other doctors were basically giving up on me which wasn't the case.
  • Hi Robin. I've had RF @ C-2 and I will say that it was uncomfortable and that afterwards (after the numbing agent wore off) I was pretty sore for over a week. My pain medication helped, but the pain was there and I knew it. Even sleeping, I woke up every time I tried moving in my sleep (that type of pain), though all in all I'd have to say that I'm not even sure that it helped much or not. It's confusing because I had pain, then having the added pain after the RF's seeming to become a new normal...and now I still have pain, but can't tell you if it's really much different than before. Geeze-I hope that makes sense.

As far as goals go, I think all of our Drs approach each pt. with the goal of getting us to be free of pain/pain meds.. even if they don't know if that will ever be the case. I believe they tend to look at us and talk to us with more the glass half full, knowing that we might be influenced otherwise. But communication in that area is very important and some people have a hard time communicating their pain to their Drs because it can make some people feel like they are caving in to it, weak, or for other reasons. I know that I have a difficult time discussing my pain and even fear it actually. But.. I'm glad to hear that your injections are over with, at least for a couple of months. I don't post a lot anymore, but I try to keep up. Good luck with your RF and I hope you get relief from them.
  • advertisement
  • to both Robins - I wish you the best & hope you keep us posted how your doing :)

RobinR did you start your new thread yet? I didn't see it but I could have over looked it...
  • yes i started the new thread and the responses have been very helpful. here it is- https://forum.veritashealth.com/chronic-pain/rf-ablationneurotomy-what-expect
    mshumptydumpty said:
    to both robins - i wish you the best & hope you keep us posted how your doing :)

robinr did you start your new thread yet? i didn't see it but i could have over looked it...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.