advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

cervical disc degeneration diagnosis. Arm hurts, neck doesn't.

bisbonianbbisbonian Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been having an aching pain that originates just to the right of my left shoulder blade (near c7 or t1), and migrates to my left exterior shoulder "cap", biceps, triceps and forearm. Massaging the muscles does no good, it's like the pain is bone deep. During a pain attack, it hurts to put my chin to my chest. Putting my arm in specific positions will cause immediate intense tingling/burning in my hand (palm and back of hand) and fingers (primarily first three fingers, slightly in ring and pinky).

An x-ray showed mild to moderate multilevel cervical disc degeneration (no word on which discs at present). But I really have no neck pain to speak of, and excellent flexibility. the pain is upper left back, shoulder and arm.

Do you think these symptoms are indicative of a cervical disc problem, or is it more likely that although I might have some degeneration in cervical discs, the pain is actually a thorasic (or other) issue?

TIA
advertisement

Comments

• It seems like you need to go to an ortho or neuro to have an evaluation, because pain could be caused by pinched nerves or cervical issues or ? It's hard to say, and only a doctor can really say.

After I had my cervical surgery and had recovered I started to getting pain in my shoulder and down the arm. My surgeon determined it was a nerve being pinched because my muscles were in spasm and pressing on a nerve.

I hope you have relief soon.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I have very similar pain, especially around my right shoulder blade, which led me to believe that there was something going on in the thoracic spine. My doc said that the rib cage supports that part of the spine, unlike the neck that has hardly any support. So the pain in my back and arm is due to the nerve damage in my neck. Also, I feel nerve pain when the muscles in my back tighten up. I'd definitely find out which discs are damaged. Good luck. Sincerely hope you feel better.
  • advertisement
  • bisbonian said:
    I have been having an aching pain that originates just to the right of my left shoulder blade (near c7 or t1), and migrates to my left exterior shoulder "cap", biceps, triceps and forearm. Massaging the muscles does no good, it's like the pain is bone deep. During a pain attack, it hurts to put my chin to my chest. Putting my arm in specific positions will cause immediate intense tingling/burning in my hand (palm and back of hand) and fingers (primarily first three fingers, slightly in ring and pinky).

An x-ray showed mild to moderate multilevel cervical disc degeneration (no word on which discs at present). But I really have no neck pain to speak of, and excellent flexibility. the pain is upper left back, shoulder and arm.

Do you think these symptoms are indicative of a cervical disc problem, or is it more likely that although I might have some degeneration in cervical discs, the pain is actually a thorasic (or other) issue?

TIA
    your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. I wound up with two herniated disks and one bulging and a few other terms as well. Not trying to discourage you but it sure sounds familiar. Seems the pain was moving around so to speak. The doctor will be able to tell more after you have an MRI. Initially I went to my regular doc for my shoulder, not my neck. There was a few days where the bicep pain was unbearable. After I worked less and less that eased up some. Never really got rid of the back/shoulder pain. The numbness in my left arm was pretty scary but it would come and go as well but was not there in the beginning of my symptoms.

Anyway had a triple fusion a few months ago and everything is going really well. Back to work and doing the things I would do before. Good luck!
  • From what I understand, most people with crevical disc issues suffer from pain somewhere other than in the neck. The compression is usually on a nerve root that travels down the arm to the hand. Your symptoms sound like compression to C5/C6. Is the tingling in hand at specific digits?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.