advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ongoing left leg/butt pain after microdisectomy! going crazy!!

Comments

• nickrolando said:
    My surgeon called me back 3 days ago. He said I am on the max dose of Neurotin and he usually does not even need to prescribe people with close to what I'm on daily. I feel like it don't really even help much.

Surgeon told me he wants me to do Physical Therapy and seek pain management. he said i should definitely be 80% better by now. My surgeon said he could open me back up again and examine the left side really well again.

I'm running out of ideas. My left leg is unbearable, just as bad as it was before surgery

Are you still on the 400 mg every 8 hours? That is not the maximum - I'm on 1200 mg every 8 hours which I'm told is the maximum; most people do respond on lower doses, but not all people respond that way.
    I hit a plateau with the Neurontin and that's when they increased to the max dose. I started Cymbalta 4 days ago and I thank that's helping too. Each day my need for pain meds has decreased, and, I was able to go to a movie yesterday with minimal (occ. moderate) discomfort.
    Now, I haven't had the surgery, but do you have someone other than the surgeon prescribing meds for you? The surgeons likely aren' the best to look to regarding on-going therapy. They are surgeons because they like an immediate fix for problems - not a bad thing, but they usually aren't in it for the long haul with patients.
    Keep me informed - btw, you can use up to 800 mg of Ibuprofen for your pain, even though the bottle directions don't say that. I've read about some people using 1000 mg, although I've only done that a couple of times
  • I had an MRI done 4 days after surgery. I took a look at the MRI before and after surgery the other day because I got both MRI CD's. There really is not much of a difference and obv I'm not a doctor but to me it still looks herniated.

I'm bringing them both to a new pain management doctor today at 3:30pm.

Praying that what it is, then there will be some explanation as to why im still in such severe pain at 24 years old
  • advertisement
  • I have been following you since your decision for surgery. Being 24 would scare me too. I am 36 and have a L5 hernaiated disc. The neuro said he would do surgery but only because I have had it for 21 months. I have tried all of the conservative things and the injections work really well but do wear off at about 6 weeks. I have numbness in heal of foot and now my toes are tingly. I am really worried about nerve damage getting worse. I don't want to live like this forever either. I spend most of my time crying. I now have started upper and mid back pain so I'm really worried that something else is wrong. What was the pain of the incision site? I have a 7 and 10 year old and want to have fun with them.I hope that you have good results from your new doctor today and that everything will work out. I also don't want to take pain killers so I only take 600 mg of motrin 3 times a day and deal with the pain going down my leg.I do get some releif when I am in different positions.
  • Thanks for following me. Yeah nothing before surgery worked for me at all including injections. NOT AT ALL. I saw the new pain management doctor, he put in an order for another MRI. It will be my 4th one since I got hurt. 90% of people have relief from a microdiscetomy so you might be in that 90%. I'm in the 10% that does not get relief.

The pain of the incision site is not too bad at all. I knew i would have back pain after this surgery, but was willing to have it, due off the fact that i was suppose to get rid of my leg pain.

Leg pain is still there, more in left then the right but pain in both legs. Back pain is definetly worse since surgery and now my ass gets numb/tingly and pin and needles feeling after sitting for about 10 minutes. That started after surgery.

I'm afraid its nerve damage and I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life and at 24 thats a long time. I work full time again because I have to but I'm barely making it through some days. You do what you gotta do!
  • Hi kit - have they tried using Neurontin? I know the side effects are difficult at first for some people, but for others they're not too bad. I'm currently on the maximum dose of Neurontin - 1200 mg three times a day, and last week started on Cymbalta. I've had the sciatica problem since last July, getting really bad in December. In the last 2-3 weeks I have been getting better. But after 21 months of this, I can see where surgery could definately be an option for you.
    Do you live near a major medical center where you could get care?
    Or, wouldn't hurt to try the meds; I was amazed after starting the Cymbalta how my need for other pain medications decreased.
    Just some thoughts.
  • advertisement
  • I had the total disc removed on l4l5 because they found it was leaking, I had an artificial disc implanted and came out of worse pain then before my surgery also,

Same pain as you describe left side down the left leg mosrly just like sciatica that to this day they cant fix. Its been 8 years now and another dr fused the same level thinking that will help.

After fusion surgery dr says you have a litle damage above the artificial disc, Well it dont take a lot to damage a nerve to cause the worse pain someone has to deal with for life,

Now i am hoping your dr did not cause damage to the nerve with the surgery you had as its not as invasive as what i had but it can hapen, Nerve pain is the hardest to treat by any dr it seems because they simply have nothing that works 100 % for it,

If meds dont help they use the nerve stimulater implant called scs which i finaly had implanted after 8 years of dealing with this but in no way i would call it a cure or even to say it helps that much to jump up and down about,

If your compression is off the nerve they say it can take up to 18 months to heal if it was just agrivated by being compressed from that disc, So for the 18 months or longer usualy no dr will want to do any other surgery because no way to know if it will heal or not yet,

I have become dissabled from my surgery from the nerve pain being 100 % out of control that cant be fixed by any dr,

I searched and tried everything under the sun for nerve pain and some things do help other then lyrica or neurontin as i cant take any of the nerve pain meds,

Neuroveen is something that i found helps the nerve pain thats mostly natural that i found on line, I never believe any of the crap i see pushed on line that claims to help most of our issues but its worth maybe for you also to give it a try,

Dont ask me whats in it cause i dont know and dont realy care as when you are desperate to get that sciatic pain down you try anything to be able to function,

It cant hurt and i still use it with my meds ,

Best of luck to ya and hope it resolves itself so you dont have to deal with this long term,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • YoungL5S188YYoungL5S188 Posts: 81
    edited 06/25/2012 - 3:37 AM
    Please if anyone has any suggestions or feedback please i would appreciate it

I had my first EMG the other day, which definitely was not a fun procedure, to find out that everything looks normal, no nerve damage was the result.

As much as that is a good thing, im just upset about it because I still do not have a rhyme for reason at all.

I'm 24 years old and literally feel like my life is over. I am loosing friends because I have such a short fuse now because I'm always in severe chronic pain.

I am on Lyrica 100mg 3 times a day, Zanaflex 4mg muscle relaxer twice a day and cymbalta 30mg at bedtime. New PM doctor I saw early this morning perscribed them to try them for me.

I cannot take painkillers because i work in IT and can't think straight but either way Percocet/Oxycodone dont work for me at all with my pain.

I'm running out of ideas and cant seem to stay positive as hard as I try.

The most recent MRI i've had was at the end of may and my surgeon who operated i sent it to him and he called me the other day and told me the nerve is free and there is scar tissue but should not be causing the same level of pain I had before surgery and I should be at least 75% better now. I just passed the three month mark since surgery.

Pain is in the left leg more then the right leg. Left leg from behind my knee cap down to right before my foot starts.Back pain is near where surgery was and a little bit above where the surgery was. Butt pain is in both butt cheeks after sitting for about 10-15 minutes at a time.

Please any input would be appreciated.

• Hi Im sorry your in so much pain , I had a discectomy in 2008 and my pain was only on one side and down one leg after surgery it got worse and now its in both sides , Its hard to except when my doctor gave me a 90% chance of being better and now I dont have a life because of constant pain , but dont give up! Keep pushing and trying, Im going Friday to get the SCS trial implant and hope its the miracle im looking for! I I have also found that pool therpy helps some to..
  • Hi = I had a situation where my GP didn't 'believe' I was in pain- that there was anything wrong. MRI looked "ok", as did CT etc... I did some research and found out about a different MRI machine- this one lets you stand or sit while the MRI is going on.. so, in my case, this showed the actual compression of L5-S1 area. (Dynamic MRI)
    First MRI did not- (lay down one).
    So, maybe that could help you? Pain is pain.. it is there for a reason.. trying to tell us something is wrong. So, dont' give up!
    Cheers
  • I'm not even sure where I could begin to find a place that does that in New York. None of my doctors have mentioned it to me?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.