advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ongoing left leg/butt pain after microdisectomy! going crazy!!

Comments

• PM docotr spoke to me about the SCS implant. I'm wondering about it. I'm not sure what to do anymore. im 24 years old and my life is ruined.
  • Doctor upped my cymbalta and put me on something called Trazadone, every night once before bed.

I looked it up and seems to have nothing to do with sciatica/back pain.

Any ideas?
  • advertisement
  • So sorry you are in so much pain at a young age! I too am a young woman having chronic pain which my doctors believe is to do with a pinched nerve somewhere in my body, though we're not sure of the location yet. I am wondering if the scar tissue is compressing a nerve? Have you ever heard about active release therapy (ART)? I am trying it for my nerve pain now and it seems to be helpful. Best of luck to you!
  • YoungL5S188YYoungL5S188 Posts: 81
    edited 08/22/2012 - 5:12 AM
    I have a pain management doctor tell me about Lysis of adhesions which I do not think will work for me being that it was the same pain after and before surgery before scar tissue even had a chance to form.

I tried Calmare Therapy treatment in CT. 3 treatments and it made me worse. Doctor is great there but he was scared for me and wanted me to stop doing it and he recommended a Flexion/Extension MRI but my surgeon is giving me a hard time about getting it.

Please let me know if you guys have any input.

Thanks,
  • Hi,
    I had two MRI's, lay down style, which didn't show much of a problem in my L5-S1. I then had a Dynamic MRI, the felxion/extension MRI-- this showed a whole different story of my injury, which "got the ball rolling" finally with my process of therapies,
    I highly recommend that MRI!!!!
    good luck, and cheers!
  • advertisement
  • Sally711 said:
    Hi,
    I had two MRI's, lay down style, which didn't show much of a problem in my L5-S1. I then had a Dynamic MRI, the felxion/extension MRI-- this showed a whole different story of my injury, which "got the ball rolling" finally with my process of therapies,
    I highly recommend that MRI!!!!
    good luck, and cheers!
    i had the Flexion Upright MRI and it showed the intial problem again but 2 surgeons looked at it and dont see anything.
  • thepretendertthepretender Posts: 34
    edited 10/28/2012 - 9:19 AM
    I would suggest having a ct-myelogram. I pains sciatic pain like yours that popped up 4 mths post-op with inconclusive EMG and MRIs, failed injections, meds, and the works -- the ct myelogram was ordered after neuro decided to do exploritory surgery and it showed a fracture at my fusion site, now I'm headed for a third surgery next month. Not ideal, but at least I have an answer after months of no idea what was wrong, but knowing something really was. My neuro says this would never have shown on any MRI, or x-ray so think about it as an option.

It's a long long day at the hospital so be prepared but hopefully it will provide you with some answers.

• thepretendertthepretender Posts: 34
    edited 10/28/2012 - 9:20 AM
    Also I keep seeing you say you're 24 and your life is over, but it's not. I'm 28 and have had 2 surgeries, going for 3rd. This has been going on since i was 17 and i know that the only thing you can do is to suck it up and keep on fighting. You will eventually get to the bottom of this. Something is wrong! It's a long painful process but you will get there. I fought tooth and nail against the spine stimulator bc I saw it as a permanent bandaid for a problem that needs fixed. You cannot give up or feel like your life is over at 24. I know it's hard. It sucks being young and not being able to have the life you want and your young friends just don't really understand but it will get better. Just keep fighting and reading here, everyone here knows how hard it is and supports you. *virtual hug*
  • YoungL5S188YYoungL5S188 Posts: 81
    edited 04/23/2013 - 3:07 AM
    I am going in for my 2nd back surgery in a year and honestly im very scared. The first surgery I was not scared at all. My surgeon is in the Bronx NYC and he is doing the decompression and stablization. I believe he is using Dynabolt pedicle screws and rods. I am really scared about getting the metal in my spine for the most part. I am worried that because my first surgery did not work, this one wont either. going crazy.
  • Hi Nick! I have had 2 microdisectomys and ended up having the L5-S1 disc fused in 2009. The doctor used titanium screws and a titanium cage on mine. I still have back pain (mainly stiffness), but nothing like before. It is a little harder to rehab from but the pain running down the buttock into the leg was awful to live with and I'm glad I got the fusion. If you have a good surgeon....trust in him and follow his instructions to the letter. I wish you the best of luck and hope you heal quickly :)
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.