There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

What a week, I need to vent!

After seeing the infectious disease Dr he wanted to compare my Mri from Aug till Oct and then do a biopsy to determine what type of antibiotic to use. I received a call from him last Friday night and said you need to be at the hospital Monday morning at 6 am for a picc line to start the antibiotics immediately and then a biopsy. The Mri showed the infection had spread from l5-s1 to my entire lower lumbar area. All week I have been doing the home IV antibiotics twice a day with no problems. Then this Friday night he calls and tells me to stop one of the medications I am on we will be changing meds. My biopsy came back as a staphlococcus aureus infection. I will now begin Monday morning 24 hr IV therapy for the next 6 weeks. They were going to bring me into the office Sat, to start this but they did not have the meds at the office and had to order them. To say I am emotionally drained from all this is the understatement. I called my boss to update her on the situation and her reply was that she would have to contact corporate Monday morning to see if they will even allow me to work. ( I work in healthcare).. If I am unable to work this will financially ruin me once again. I struggled all last week trying to work and after Wed was unable due to stomach issues caused by the antibiotics. And to be honest I feel like crap. My pain levels have doubled but my pain Dr feels that there is no reason to temporarily increase my meds until I get thru this. At this point I am so disgusted with everything but at the same time so thankful someone finally figured out what was wrong with me. I have felt ill for months and had to fire all my Drs and find new ones so someone would figure out what was wrong with me. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. And to add to all this I am trying to take care of a very ill mother. Sorry everyone I just needed to vent


  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,550
    edited 10/28/2012 - 4:03 AM
    Oh, man, I'm so sorry to hear about the staph infection but very glad they found it. That can be very dangerous so I'm glad your going in to get direct medical care for it.

    I'll pray for you that you get better quickly and don't lose your job. Dang, dang dang. Why do these things have to happen? Where did the infection come from?


  • I am so sorry that all this is happening to you.
    It is totally understandable that you feel emotionally exhausted and your body is going through so much that it will make you feel unwell.
    It is good that your new doctors are on to it and have a plan to deal with it.
    Good call for you to start with new doctors who would try to find out what was going on.
    Although you are feeling very low right now, things should start to be on the up soon, and I hope that as the infection responds to the new treatment, that you will start to feel better. Then emotionally you should pick up too.
    Sorry about your mum being so ill too.
    Please always feel that you can come and be honest about how you are feeling. We are pleased to try to support you through difficult times and we care about how you are feeling.
    I'll pray for you too and hope that things will improve for you very soon.
  • advertisement
  • I am sorry for all you are having to go through. I am glad that they found the staph infection and responded so quickly. I know it is so hard when it feels like there is no end to all this. It is so disheartening when you wake day after day in pain. I pray that the new course of antibiotics will help clear the infection quickly and help decrease the pain. I know how it feels to worry about your job. I was terminated 6 weeks after my surgery in May. I was not able to return to work and may never be able to. I have learned that even though we have been through tough times since, something always works out for us and we are able to pay our bills. may not have what we want but always have what we need:)

    Please don't ever feel bad about venting to us. There have been so many times when I could have not made it without the support I receive from everyone here. I am so sorry about your mama but want to let you know that what you are doing is awesome. I took care of my mama the last 6 months of her life and even though it was painful I would not trade the time I spent with her one on one for anything, To be able to give back for everything she did for me was so worth it and I would do it again if given the chance. Just hang in there and please let us know how you are doing.

  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,109
    I believe the staph infection came from my pain pump trial. That is just speculation because as we all know it could of came from a infection from me that I wasnt aware I had so I really cant be pointing fingers at where it came from. That being said the most logical place would be from the pain pump trial.Everything has happened so fast that I havent seen the infectious disease Dr since my first initial visit. Ill be happy to see him this Wed. to get some answers that his staff has not been able to answer.It has been his PA or IV nurse that has called me each time to update me on test results and what has to be done next or what hospital to go to. I can say that I am very happy with this Dr and his staff and that they are on top of everything. I did receive a call from the IV nurse Sunday that they were unable to get the meds I need and they now will not be available until Tues. If for some reason the meds are not there by Tues she stated I will have to be admitted to the hospital because this is something that cannot be put off. One of the meds in my current IV that I still take is a antibiotic to keep the infection from spreading. So say a prayer that is working. Everything has been happening so fast I havent really had time to sit down and digest just how bad this could be. I will go to work today and find out if I am able to work with all this going on. The nurse did tell me I would have a portable IV machine that I would wear everyday like a fanny pack and will have to change the IV bag every 4 hrs. So that means setting my alarm clock every night and change the bag in the middle of the night. I dont think that will be such a big deal to me since I am up about every 2 hours anyhow. Everyone say a prayer for me today that my job is not in jeopardy because if I lose this job I dont know how I am going to pay for cobra insurance.
  • dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 369
    edited 10/29/2012 - 7:30 AM
    When I had my spinal infection, I had a picc line and was receiving Vancomycin twice a day through it. I was also taking Levaquin orally. I was on these drugs for 2 months and under the care of an infectious disease doctor for 6 months. It is important they stay on top of your white count.
    If you are put on Vancomycin, please be very observant of side effects. I ended up suffering some hearing loss because of it. Also, the drug will really make you tired and make most foods taste irony, all except Rum Raison ice cream for me. I wish you the best.

    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,109
    Work has agreed to allow me to work since I am in the billing department by myself. They just need a note from the Dt stating that I am not contagious.I did go to the Dr office to learn how to use the 24hr Iv pump. It is amazing what they can do these days. It is no bigger then a large deck of cards. Illl wear it in a fanny pack for the next 4 weeks and am only allowed to remove it for 15 minutes a day to take a shower. The first day back at work was rough to say the least and to be honest I almost wish I could be given some time off, at least until my back pain subsides a little. I was just taken off the Vacomycin and I am GLAD. That medicine was giving me some serious stomach issues. Work was alot more supportive then I expected and told me to use short term disability if needed. That was a big relief . all I can say is i am glad they have finally figured out what was wrong with me and the treatment has began. Dick did you have alot of pain? If so how long before you were on antibiotics before you began to see a reduction of pain.
  • Susan,
    Because my spinal infection was pressing on my cord, I had to have an emergency laminectomy to remove the abscess. Once home, I'd say the pain started to get better within two weeks and thank God for that because it was terrible. I was back to work as a high school principal one month from the surgery.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.