advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NEURONTIN/GABAPENTIN

1246

Comments

  • Thank you so much for the insight. Since taking the tramadol, I too have noticed when I walk, it feels as if I am walking on something at the top middle of both feet. Is this normal? I have never felt this before. Even while taking the tramadol and neuronton for the pain, my left knee is still burning pretty bad and hurts really bad when I am walking and just sitting down it hurts. It even awakens me from a sleep with the burning and also my right leg still feels a little numb and both ankles hurt and heels of feet burn. I cannot walk the distance, I was once able too. I get tired so quickly and since L2,3,4 and 5 disc's were removed and the spinal fusion was done, it even hurts to stand and wash dishes for just 10 minutes.....I can actually feel the pressure, even though the fusion was successful. I know I will never feel normal again, I would just like to not hurt every day. Thank you so much for allowing me to vent. I really appreciate this forum! You all can relate to what I am experiencing. I believe my heating pack is my best friend. Has anyone filed for disability? I have been denied twice...but will have a hearing with the judge next month since the appeal. Please keep me in your prayers.

    Bettina
  • I take 900 mg, 3 x 300mg a day, sometimes with a half oxycodone or Lortab. I may have it with a glass of wine just to get it kicked in. It doesn't seem to help much but the oxy does. No side effects to speak of though.
  • advertisement
  • The PM doc just started my on the escalating gabapentin routine a week ago. Instructions are to start with 300 mg at bedtime and eventually increase to 1800 mg/day. He also gave me 2 hydrocodone/day prn (7.5-?) The gabapentin alone seems to help the nerve pain and all seemed rosy at first. Now, I find a kind of flat depression setting in. Can't decide whether to stick it out and continue to increase dosage, or to give the PM a call this early on. Lyrica is not an option due to cost.
  • superhetoricssuperhetoric Posts: 9
    edited 06/01/2013 - 8:56 PM
    I was first started on neurontin a few years ago to cope with sciatica symptoms and I didn't like the grogginess/out-of-it feeling it gave me so I took probably two doses and stopped. My sciatica has recently come back full-force and neurontin is making my daily life better by reducing much of the sensations caused by neuropathy. 200mg+ makes me groggy still and I have noticed after coming off of it, like if I take it before bed and wake up in the morning, I have bee nexperiencing depression, though that's not to say it's being caused directly by the medicine itself. Also noticed residual nerve irritation while off-dose. Slight tingling in thumb, other body areas, but not painful. Just enough to be annoying.
  • Jimblab9 said:
    The PM doc just started my on the escalating gabapentin routine a week ago. Instructions are to start with 300 mg at bedtime and eventually increase to 1800 mg/day. He also gave me 2 hydrocodone/day prn (7.5-?) The gabapentin alone seems to help the nerve pain and all seemed rosy at first. Now, I find a kind of flat depression setting in. Can't decide whether to stick it out and continue to increase dosage, or to give the PM a call this early on. Lyrica is not an option due to cost.
    I was hit by the depression side effect hard today, and am still not totally feeling better 6 hours after waking. This is scary to me! Maybe a drug like Cymbalta would help you better since it is also an anti-depressant. I take tramadol daily too which has SSRI properties and I hope it balances me out.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks everybody for sharing experiences. I have simply had to discontinue the gabapentin. Telephone consults with the PM doc's nurses have been non-productive with suggestions to the effect that initial depression for the first few days is normal (??) and to only take one at bedtime. Any amount leaves me very depressed. They then suggested I schedule an appt. with a counselor with their group. I'm puzzled that an alternate to the gabapentin has not been suggested. I'm hoping this does not turn out to be a "my way or the highway" scenario.

    I finally just bypassed the nurses by scheduling a consult with the doctor. If he still insists on gabapentin, I will probably be looking for a new PM doc. This is the first time in 23 years of almost chronic pain that I have wanted to treat only with medication. I am starting to fully appreciate what a delicate dance it can be. The last thing I want in the PM community is to be labeled some kind of "seeker" or "non-compliant".



  • superhetoric said:
    I was first started on neurontin a few years ago to cope with sciatica symptoms and I didn't like the grogginess/out-of-it feeling it gave me so I took probably two doses and stopped. My sciatica has recently come back full-force and neurontin is making my daily life better by reducing much of the sensations caused by neuropathy. 200mg+ makes me groggy still and I have noticed after coming off of it, like if I take it before bed and wake up in the morning, I have bee nexperiencing depression, though that's not to say it's being caused directly by the medicine itself. Also noticed residual nerve irritation while off-dose. Slight tingling in thumb, other body areas, but not painful. Just enough to be annoying.
    Yes--Sometimes it's hard to sort out the source of depression and other feelings since chronic symptoms wreak havoc on one's emotional state anyway. I'm of the opinion that's what the docs are for. It's just hard sometimes to tell if they are actively working through the problem with you or just playing it safe.
  • so... it seems that i have post surgical nerve damage on my left side (just posted a new thread to all) and the clot... new action plan, ultrasound re clot on friday and new MRI on friday to see WHY i have the new nerve damage.. perhaps EMG doc said was - perhaps-a bleed on the nerve in surgery (which could have been my freak out in recovery.. idk) waiting on hospital records too to see what charts say... i am still on 200 mg of the neurontin, and still taking pain killers for the pain which i have now found to be, after the evil painful EMG that it IS NERVE DAMAGE ON my left side, when i went in for right side. burning, itching, watering, stabbing glass pain..along with the feeling of walking on a baseball, which is making me off kilter and freaking up my back AGAIN. still going to work or, i wont have insurance, and if i dont have insurance, hey, ... i won't get care... horrid situation for all of us, when i re read all this stuff.. good luck everyone.. ME too. :-(
    morphia1957
  • you wrote: > Even while taking the tramadol and neuronton for the pain, my left knee is still burning pretty bad and hurts really bad when I am walking and just sitting down it hurts. It even awakens me from a sleep with the burning and also my right leg still feels a little numb and both ankles hurt and heels of feet burn. I cannot walk the distance, I was once able too. I get tired so quickly and since L2,3,4 and 5 disc's were removed and the spinal fusion was done, it even hurts to stand and wash dishes for just 10 minutes.....I can actually feel the pressure, even though the fusion was successful. I know I will never feel normal again, I would just like to not hurt every day. Thank you so much for allowing me to vent. I really appreciate this forum! You all can relate to what I am experiencing. I believe my heating pack is my best friend. <
    From me... after new EMG (UGH) and MRI i know that what i have is straight UP from the surgery. there are no nerves touching the screws- the cage is in it's place, etc., it was good to know that,what i STILL don't like, and >>>>>>here comes the vent, i totally understand how YOU feel... is that; i have severe - what i call wood foot syndrome (my technical term) neuro doc and PT says, that is from the surgery.. have to see my surgeon on thursday.. all -he says- is normal. not normal to me when it is nearly impossible to walk without a cane (applied for a temp handicap permit) back on percs and or oxy and more neurontin (which i hate) for the pain, i never had to use a cane before the surgery. his response. see me in 8 months to complain about it... i understand his POV but my brain is not happy. i cannot get up on my toes on my left foot, cannot wiggle my toes on my left foot, i have strength which they all say is GOOD but i have no calf muscle. it hurts like hell in PT, and i am pushing myself every time i go... have been on welbutrin for years this is a different kind of sad... it's a total flat line sad... straight up from the surgery in a "why did i do this?" kind of way... i know others feel the same. i know i had no choice as my spine was MOVING...in a bad way... i know i had to do it, but feel like i fd myself up.. i have so much drain pain (*my new term) for all of my aches pains, hip, leg - back and muscle issues.. i just feel DRAINED OF enery and "me" ness.. ccannot sit for more than an hour so- cannot stand for more than an hour or so... walking is so tough when i used to walk over 2 miles a day... my butt bone is on fire. (why?) neurontin has caused a 6 lb weight gain, which, i know doesnt sound like alot, but i am 5.3&1/2 5'4 and work hard with what i eat to stay below 135 and even that's ten lbs away from where i was ! 142 again...and its NOT from food. makes me nuts. (and more depressed) and most women will tell you, that is not pleasant. it's not vanity either..i too, Bettina, feel like i will never be normal again, though i know that's not intellectually TRUE it FEELS that way... sorry that you feel that way too.. i wish i could take tramadol or an advil....back to half 5 mg oxy at night (messing up my digestive system again now..) and half percs during the afternoon, or early evening, tylenol a.m, back to 300 mg of neurontin (no, not alot but any more than that? and i cannot find my own name) (for real) i am over 12 weeks now.. and wait for the next curve... it really does go up and down like this. my new PT is wonderful and works on me for over an hour each time. i DO see results in terms of strengths, back to a 35 sec plank... can do things i did not think i could do but some stuff just slays me... i am not the work out bad ass i used to be... makes me sad. TIME is .... issue. just waiting it all out...feel free to PM me anytime!
    morphia1957
  • Gabapentin, how I love thee!!! I have a mess of cervical problems that involve pain and weakness in my arms and legs. Gabapentin has been a godsend, except for the 13 lbs. I have gained in 5 months. That is one side-effect that I really do not want, but at this time I cannot live without it. This medication totally masks my symptoms to the point that I can forget how badly I hurt. I went off of it once for 2 days and it was the most horrible few days ever. The pain made me unable to sleep and I was barely able to walk. I hate relying on a medication like this to get by, but until I am accurately diagnosed, this is what it is. Doc also gave me Tramadol which did not touch this pain, and Oxycontin which made me very ill. Going for a brain MRI next week and hoping for resolution. Right now they won't even give me PT due to a cord compression that some doctors agree on and some do not. Take my advice - unless you drive a truck, stay clear of Navigators!!! They are trouble.
    Freddie

    Spinal Fusion 1998 C5/6, post MVA
    MVA 2/2/13
    8 Bulging Disks
    2 w/cord compression and pinched nerves
    Trying to find good surgeon before I go paralyzed

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.