advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Constant Leg pain

Hello, I am Lori, and I have posted alot of posts, since my surgery, but now, I am posting in a different forum, because it has to do to with leg pain. I will try to make this short, I had a L3-L4 spinal fusion on Aug 27th, 2012, I know the bottom of my signature says the 24th, but i have to change that,, Anyway the reason I had this surgery is because I had a torn and bulging disc. I went through everything in about a year. Pain blocks, Quite a few injections in the back that I forgot what for, I think to take the pain away, I forget the name of it, but then a discograph. That was the most painful before my surgery, so the Dr could see exactly what he needed to do. So after I have this surgery, which was the worst surgery I had regarding pain. I woke up in pain, crying and asking them to give me something for the pain, and they said they cannot give me anymore pain medication, they already gave me the maximum of dilautid. So I stayed in the hospital for 2 days, went home to my mom and dads, and my mom took care of me, cause I live by myself, and was healing nicely. A week went by, and I started to have a pain in my right leg. I did not think nothing of it, cause i was on pain meds, and thinking that would take care of it. But it didn't. So I thought it was just the muscle, cause I was starting to walk . Well it has been 3 mos, and the pain is still there. My 3 mo checkup with my dr, I told him about my leg. He said I am a strong woman for putting up with the pain and not telling him, but he really felt bad, and told me that I should have told him, which I should have. But anyway, he gave me a drug called Neurontin. He said to take this as prescribed and it should help the pain, but he ordered a MRI in the meantime. So I took this drug only 2 days, and did not like how it made me feel. I was really groggy the next day, and could not wake up for the life of me. So I went for the MRI, went back to the dr last week, and he asked me about the medicine, and I told him I did not like it. So he looked and the MRI and it did not show nothing. Now he ordered a CT Scan. So now I have to go and get that. Meanwhile the pain in my leg is getting worse. He ruled out the Sciatic nerve or anything to do with my pelvis. He told me to continue to take the Neurontin, and if I had to up the dose go ahead and do so. So I did, and it is working good. He gave me vicodin, but I took that, and it does not even touch my leg pain. So I do not take that. After explaining all of this, I have a question, my dr said it is a nerve. Has anyone been in this situation, and when he finds the nerve, what will happen? I am not going through another surgery. This one set me back financially, and I was off work for 2 mos. I seem to like Neurontin, and I wonder if I will have to take this the rest of my life. If anyone has had something similar to this, I would like advice or your story shared, it would really help me. Thanks for reading my story, and God Bless and a Merry Christmas!
Lori

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
DDD, Thyroid Disease
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
SI Joint dysfunction
advertisement

Comments

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 12/24/2012 - 7:14 PM
    lori, can you describe the pain? can you identify the area of pain on this picture?
    https://forum.veritashealth.com/spine-health-announcements/dermatome-map

i am sorry but i don't understand, you said the doc "ruled out the sciatic nerve or anything to do with my pelvis". what other nerves can there be, other than sciatic or pelvis nerves? (ie, lumbar and sacroiliac nerves). yet, he also said its nerve pain?

could it be https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome?

when do you get the ct scan?

what will happen? check out;
    https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/causes-failed-back-surgery-syndrome
    https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/failed-back-surgery-syndrome-fbss-what-it-and-how-avoid-pain-after-surgery

good luck.
  • Hello Dave, sorry it took me so long to get back, I work, and I have been working alot. As for the pain in my leg, I opened up your link you posted on where on the body the pain is, it is on my right side leg. Towards the front, and side of the leg above the knee. It does not go below the knee. Just constant pain in my upper front leg. It was not the front to start out with. It was only the side of the right leg, upper. When I got cleared to start walking, that is when it started to hurt. About 2 weeks after surgery. Mine was a minumally invasive, so I was healing faster on the outside. Now it has moved to the front and side of my right leg. I just had my CT Scan 2 days ago, As 2 weeks ago, I had a MRI, and my Dr. could not find nothing. All I have to say, is if this is how my future is going to be, I cannot take this. I now have a new pain, I just got about 3-4 days ago. It is exactly where my screws or plate is, I just know it, cause this pain is in my back where the hardware is, and it is a stabbing pain. It comes and goes. Nothing aggravates it, Most of the time it is when I am walking, and I get this stabbing pain in my back, it hits me hard and I have to stop whatever it is I am doing and just breath. I go to see the Dr on the 3rd for my CT results, and in a way, I hope he finds something, other than nothing, cause I am not making this up. I really thought that this surgery was going to fix me, and all I know is no pain meds that I have been given does not work. Not even Neurontin, or Amitriptyline. Vicodin does not help. He ruled out my Pelvis nerves when he told me to stand up and he started pushing on my lower back, and asking me if anything hurts, I said no, nothing he did caused pain. He said this is weird, cause this never happens. Now I do not know if I should believe that or not, cause he is a spine dr. This spine dr has 100% spine fusions take place all the time? I really do not think so. But he is a good Dr, he cares, and wants to help, but I really cannot take another surgery. This surgery put me in the whole, and financially it is not good. I cannot do that again when it is just me. Well I am reading on your other links you put in as well, so maybe something will make since, I hope again. Cause I fell in love with working out at the gym, and if that is no longer a option, I do not know what I will do.

Aug 2012- L3-L4 spinal fusion with cage and screws.
    July 2012- Cortizone injections in L3-L4 spine
    June 2012- L3-L4 nerve blocks
    Lori

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • advertisement
  • and am dealing with very similar symptoms. I really dont have any answers for you, just know that I totally understand the need to find something...because not finding anything kind of puts on in the position to just like this forever. I told my surgeon that and he seemed to think the pain generator is from the disc above which in my case is L2 and from scar tissue at L5-S1. This is hard suff, Lori and I feel your pain...figuratively and otherwise. I have my appt with my surgeon on Wed to read the last CT. He also put in for a nerve block at the L2 level I think. I have had 3 ESI since my surgery. So I think part of all of this is that we expect things to be back to normal...not sure that is really a possiblilty, well not for me. I do wish you luck in finding the answers. I have found recently that people that had surgery close to us are all experiencing kind of a set back right now. Coincidence or just a part of this fusion mystery! Peace, Elle
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • From reading posts here, post fusion pain has come from a number of sources. Such as a loose screw which usually shows on X-ray or a screw is touching the nerve; or allergic reaction to titanium; or infection; or scar tissue effectively causing a pulling on the nerve.

Have you had any low grade fever? Been tested for titanium allergy?

Hopefully, on the 3rd he will have something for you.
  • No low grade fever, never been tested for titanium allergy, although you would think the dr already done that. Maybe he did, I am counting down the days. Thanks for all the insight. Also, thank you Elle, for you advice, and pick me up, I have been so depressed these days, and want to get out of it.
    Lori

DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • advertisement
  • Loreeann32LLoreeann32 Posts: 75
    edited 01/04/2013 - 8:04 AM
    Well my dr read my CT scan, and actually found that my fusion has started. 4 mos post op. He is very impressed, cause he said it usually starts at 6 mos. Still could not find the solution to my pain, but he is starting me on PT. He said he hopes that it should help with my leg pain. So I am hoping it will. I guess I will never be pain free, so I will just have to live with my pain, and see if PT will help. I am hoping it will, then when I am done with PT, and I am still in pain, I guess we will have to wait till then.
    Lori

DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • Great that your fusion has started. You have such a positive outlook. I'm not sure I would be coping as well as you in the same circumstances.

Take care.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.