advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How do I get a proper diagnosis

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    edited 03/18/2013 - 5:07 PM
    dilauro said:
    Storm, I know this may sound cold, but many times you have to look at all the testing that is being done for you as not being black and white.
    Now, with today's cars, there really aren't that many automobile diagnostic experts around anymore. Why, because anyone can plug into the cars computer to see whats wrong. Most of the time, the computer read out will say, Device XYZ is bad, it needs to be replaced. Bingo, its done! (quote)

Not the same for us. All the diagnostic testing can be done and the doctors still have not come up with the absolute diagnosis. Our bodies are much more complex, testing aids the doctors in pinpointing the problem, but many times that is not enough.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but Ron I totally disagree with your comparison. Plugging in our diagnostic equipment into the ALDL connector
    under your dashboard doesn't always lead us to the source of the fault code. You are correct in your statement of there are less technicians in our industry.
    Nobody wants to get into this type of work, it can be very stressful especially when the technical support is not what it should be.
    Ranger

• I also believe that the reason there are so may therapy's is because there's a lot of money to make, people with pain who can't get regular help will try to find it elsewhere. That doesn't mean they are all bad, the problem is you really have to try lots of them before you find one that does the trick ;)
  • advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,519
    edited 03/19/2013 - 10:27 AM
    Most of those therapies , the patient doesnt pay for or a minimum co-pay (ie $10).

Now, there are some therapies that most insurance companies do not pay for:
    - Acupuncture with and without electric stim
    - Deep Tissue Massage
    I've paid alot for both of them. About 40 plus sessions of acupuncture at $95 a treatment and the Deep Tissue Massage , now for over 4 years at 2x month at $85/session.
    For me, it boiled down to a quality of life issue. Without those treatments I know I would have been in a wheelchair the rest of my life.... So, putting everything together, money was not the issue.

But, thats fine for me to say, in retirement, collecting a pension and with good medical insurance. Its not always the same for younger folks.

What I found to be costly are those hundreds of devices you see on TV or in magazines. Thats were tons of money is being spent, alot of it wasted

But you are more than 100% correct about finding the right one. It took me over 25 years of physical therapy, ESI, etc to finally find what works best for me. (Passive Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy and Deep Tissue Massage.
  • Good to hear you found therapy that works for you, especially if it helped to prevent you needing a wheelchair. I was thinking if maybe manual therapy could help me, maybe I will give it a try, but last year I did do nothing, it took a long time but get better.

I was thinking about my last post, finding the right therapy or treatment also apply's for regular doctor's.
  • Saw my doctor and asked him if my shoulder pain could come from a nerve in my neck, he said....

A pinced nerve in the neck can give (severe) pain in the shoulder, but also that rotator cuff and cervical problems can look alike.(see neck pain articles here) A pinced nerve inside the shoulder is usally the result of trauma.

He thought it would be best to give it some time and wait and see if things get better, (it does a little bit) he said if I went to see a neurologist he would also tell me to ride it out at first. If things get worse and/or loose strength in my arm or hand I should contact him immediately. Sounds reasonable to me.
  • advertisement
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,519
    edited 03/22/2013 - 10:31 AM
    That does sound like a good action plan. Take the conservative approach first and see what happens.

The doctor makes sense when he stated that some cervical and shoulder problems can look alike. Many times, it always comes down to the chicken and the egg. What happened first? Your shoulder problem or your neck?

You sound that you are on a good course. You know you can always depend on us to provide input to whatever direction tomorrow is taking. You have online Spiney buddies that enjoy looking out for one another.
  • thanks a lot Dilauro, I'am reading a lot about preventing his situation again in the future, not better yet but we're getting there.
  • saw the orthopedic doctor again, he now thinks that its all coming from the neck (a bit late ?? ) so he send me to a neurologic doc. The neurologic doc didn't think an MRI is needed right now because the pain isnt so bad anymore, but if things get worse again they take a mri

The pain in my shoulder is getting much better, the pins and needles in my fingers is gone, but my thumb is still sortoff numb.

But now I have a sort off prickling (a bit like nettles ? )sensation in my skin around both shoulders and neck up to my chin....it comes and goes, it isn't to bad so I can cope with it.

Does anybody know what that means, is it some sort of a healing process ?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.