advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

LOWER BACK PAIN/SCIATICA LOWER RIGHT LEG PAIN

I AM A 46 YEAR OLD MALE WITH SEVERE LOWER RIGHT LEG PAIN AND LOWER BACK PAIN. I AM A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, SO I REFUSE TO TAKE NARCOTIC PAIN PILLS. I HAVE HAD THIS LOWER LEG PAIN FOR APPROX 5 YRS AND LOWER BACK PAIN FOR APPROX 2 YRS. ABOUT 3 YRS AGO I WENT TO A DR AND HAD AN MRI DONE. HE TOLD ME MY SEVERE LEG PAIN WAS CAUSED BY A HERNIATED L-5 DISC ON THE NERVE EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT HAVE LOWER BACK PAIN AT THAT TIME. HE PUT ME ON A SPINAL STRETCHING MACHINE AND PHYSICAL THEREPY FOUR DAYS A WEEK FOR 5 WEEKS. THE LOWER LEG PAIN EASED UP BUT DID NOT GO AWAY. 6 MONTHS LATER MY LOWER LEG PAIN CAME BACK WORSE THEN EVER. SO I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH IT ALL THIS TIME. TWO YEARS AGO MY LOWER BACK STARTED HURTING. MY VA DOCTOR SENT ME TO FURTHER PHYSICAL THEREPY FOR 6 WEEKS WITH NO PAIN RELEASE FROM THE LOWER RIGHT LEG. MY DR GAVE ME GABAPENTIN 200MG FOR THE NEUROPATHIC PAIN IN MY LEG 3 TIMES A DAY. IT NUMBED THE NERVE PAIN WHILE ON THE MEDICATION. I HAVE BEEN ON THIS MEDICATION FOR 2 YEARS WITH A STEADY INCREASE IN MG. I'M NOW AT THE MAX DOSE OF 800MG 3 TIMES A DAY, BUT IT ONLY WORKS FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS AFTER EACH DOSE. NOW I HAVE SEVERE LOWER BACK PAIN AND THE LOWER RIGHT LEG PAIN IS SO SEVERE IT HINDERS ME FROM WALKING, STANDING, SLEEPING, AND EVERY DAY LIFE. NOW IT IS AFFECTING WITH MY JOB ON PATROL BECAUSE I CANNOT TAKE MY FIT FOR DUTY ( 1 1/2 MILE RUN).
MY DR SENT ME FOR AN MRI WITH RESULTS OF AT L5--S1,DEGENERATED DISK WITH DIFFUSE ANNULAR DISK BULDGING. ANTERIOR LISTHESIS, GRADE 1 OF L5 ON S1 IS PRESENT WITH BILATERAL PARS DEFECTS. THERE IS BILATERAL RIGHT GREATER THAN LEFT MODERATE TO SEVERE FORAMINAL NARROWING FROM DISK OSTEOPHYTE COMPLEX AND ALIGNMENT ABNORMALITY. CONUS MEDULLARIS IS WELL MAINTAINED. NO INTRINSIC MASS LESIONS OF THE CORD OR CANAL OR PARASPINOUS MASS LESIONS ARE OBSERVED. THE BODY HEIGHTS, ALIGNMENT AND SIGNAL ARE WELL MAINTAINED.
IMPRESSION: L5-- S1 SPONDYLOLYSIS WITH FORAMINAL NARROWING, STABLE.
I WENT TO A NENEUROSURGICAL AND SPINE DISORDER DR. 2 DAYS AGO. I MET WITH THE N.P WHO DID AN EXAM AND MOTION X-RAYS. SHE ADVISED MY L5 HAS SLIPPED DOWN I WOULD PROBABLY NEED A DISK FUSION. I CAN'T SEE THE DR TILL ABOUT A MONTH FROM NOW. I WOULD REALLY LIKE UR OPINION ON WHAT I MAY BE LOOKING AT, AND UR OPINION ON IF I MAY NEED THIS OPERATION. IF SO, ABOUT HOW MUCH DOWN TIME I WOULD HAVE OR WILL THIS OPERATION HINDER MY FUTURE ON PATROL. SHE ALSO ADVISED, SINCE MY NERVE HAS BEEN HURTING SO LONG, THE FUSION MAY NOT TAKE MY LEG PAIN AWAY, WHICH HURTS WAY MORE SEVERELY THAN THE LOWER BACK. THANK YOU FOR UR TIME, PLEASE HELP ME WITH YOUR OPINION.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,709
    edited 03/24/2013 - 8:26 AM
    i am sure that you will find your time on spine-health very rewarding. this site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    here are just some of the highlights:

- detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- the wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- under the resource tab, there is a section doctor advice health center which can be invaluable.

- as a bonus, spine-health provides these patient forums. here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. you will soon become part of the spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. you are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- it is very important to understand the forum rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- as a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. you should read forum faq

if you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

https://forum.veritashealth.com/announcements/spine-health-announcements/mri-reports-why-we-cant-advise

a polite request...please don't use caps keys for your post as this comes across as shouting and also makes it hard to read

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hi, i have suffered in the same vain as u describe matey, although have only had the searing sciatic pain for 6months now down ther right leg and foot. I have three slipped discs, of l3 l4 l5. L5 is the furthest bulge and the most likely petruding against the sciatic nerve. The leg pain is prob as bad, or at times worse than my back pain. Anyway after similar doses of Gabapentin i found little or no relief and revisited my consultant who agreed on an operation called a 'microdiscectomy' which im having in around six weeks time. Its a minimal procedure im told, where they go in via ur back and cut the part of the disc causing the pinch on the sciatic nerve. with 95% success rate i have nothing to lose. At least it should eliviate one area of the pain im suffering. hope this helps mate
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.