advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Confused!!! How much of the liver can you see on a spinal MRI

Hi Can anyone help? I recently had a spinal MRI which showed alsorts on my spine. But also they noticed I had masses possible cysts on my liver? How much of the liver can you see on a spinal MRI, why do I need an ultra sound? Can't you see the full liver on a MRI of the spine???
As I feel although not a nurse that you would see more on a MRI than an unlta sound?? Ive scattered spinal haemangiomas on my vertriabal bodies so a little worried they not cysts on my liver. Along with other problems on my spine.
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like a pretty technical question to ask your doctor, or even nurse. The liver is a pretty big organ, so I'd think they could see some of it. I think the good news is though that possibly the radiologist found a problem you weren't aware of... which is good because whatever it going on with your liver you are probably catching early.

I had to have an ultrasound on my liver before. While pregnant my liver enzymes went crazy so I was in the hospital for observation etc and they did the ultrasound. Kind of neat. The ultrasound is uncomfortable but not painful (my experience), and they can see a good bit. They can also measure anything they find. I'm glad they are getting this seen about. Let us know what the ultrasound says.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Aw thanks for replying. I have had problems in my abdomen area for few years now, although this was seen while looking at my spine. Went to docs numerous times, with pain, bloating, ribs pushing out, generally unwell, very lethargic but was put down as b12. Even had a scan but nothing showed. I had a lump you could feel bottom side (right) also, they could feel it but nothing showed on the scan so left. Moved docotors and my new doc is investigating just hope its nothing for a whike back or something simple. Few year later went private and my stomach muscles had parted :o bit operation. I just would of thought a MRI would of shown the whlole liver or do they just go straight down the centre and pass by a bit of it???
    Having alsorts of probs with lumps nd bumps, pain and discomfort just makes me think now are they all connected to one thing??? Strange....then a waiting game.
    Are you ok now? and congratulations on your baby, they such treasures :)
  • advertisement
  • I really don't know exactly how the MRIs are set to see what. I've only had two MRIs, the first was at age 9 (1989) and I never saw those images. The last one was 2012 but due to the stainless steel rods, all the areas near my liver area are just huge white blurbs, so I cant see anything else but that on those images. I do hope you get all of this properly diagnoses and treated.

And thanks, she just turned 3...lol... I feel like I've been in and out of hospital/illness/recovery her entire life with one thing or another, but despite that, we are very close and she's adorable. And I also have a pretty incredible five year old son.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thanks :) I do also, nowt worse than not knowing or not getting treated correctly. Im there tomorrow for the scan, so will let you know if they tell me there and then.
    Your spine looks like theyve did a good job. Are you ok now???
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,101
    edited 05/15/2013 - 2:38 PM
    Glad you are getting a scan tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. And I'm good! I'm in the "final stages" of healing.
  • advertisement
  • Hi so glad your in final healing time, hard work been laid up......They couldnt see any cysts, she was asking the other lady where are they suppose to be??? She then said she cant see any cysts, she thinks what was seen was 'vessels' and said she will send a report saying 'normal' liver?? Is having vessels on your liver classed as normal?? I looked them up and 'vessels' are hemangioma a tangel of tangled blood vessels??? Is that correct? Concidering theyve also found 4 hemangiomas in my vertral bodies of my spine I am a little concerned.
    Like to know how something that causes pain, discomfort and swelling is classed as 'normal' to her?
  • Hi shell4sky, glad that your liver US came back normal. Your liver has veins and blood vessels running throughout it. Your liver filters your blood of toxins and if you have ever cut a beef liver open you will see many holes which are the vessels and veins.I had a full spine MRI done last yr. and I went back and looked and could not see the liver in mine and I do have fatty liver disease and diefinetly showed up on the US. If you are still worried I would just call the doctor and ask him to go over report with you. Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to Spine Health

kelli.
  • HI thanks for the welcome and answer. It can get very confusing as ive a number of things going on. Dont know if they connected or even why or what on some. When I used trusty google the vessels came up hemangioma and Ive just found out Ive 4 in my vertebral bodies so got me thinking. But thanks feel a bit better now, funny how mri can show possible cysts but scan nothing?? Its happened once before, as had scan for servere headaches and showed something but second scan with dye was no further action. Strange but???
    I do hope you are ok can yours be treated???
    I am sure something is wrong but dont know what or where. My stomach is extending feels constantly full and no appetite and very tender. Feels like my ribs are going to pop. I know it sounds mad lol
  • Is the pain and swelling on the right side? Sometimes you can have gallstones which cause your gallbladder to become inflammed especially when you eat wrong foods like fatty fried rich foods. This can cause bloated feeling and pain in abdomen but usually on right side and somtimes around to right side of back. Or maybe GERD. Acid reflux can cause bloating and abdominal pain and not always heartburn. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask about seeing a gastroenterologist who deals with the stomach. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing :)

kelli
  • Thanks, seems to be the full front but right back (rib cage) thats worse on a morning. Feels like Ive been kicked in the back. I dont eat much fatty foods, mainly quite healthy?? Just hope its something simple, but its finding the problem. Tests are slow in a sense. Even though theres alsorts on my back, eg buldge discs, degeneration, 4 hemangiomas, nodes ect Im left. Now my liver is said to have 'vessels' and was told she writing back to doctor to say normal liver? How can something that causes pain and discomfort be normal? Feel now they are normal nothing will be done and will have to put up with the pain nd discomfort???
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.