advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Paralasys instead of pain?

This may be a stupid question.. but if someone has problems at say L3/L4/L5, why wouldn't it be a good option to just paralyze the patient instead of trying to fix it? I've been reading for the last 3 hours and all i can find is absolute HORROR stories from people who've had fusions, or other surgeries to fix the problem. I for one would rather spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair than in agony. Why wouldn't that be a good option? would there still be pain? I've got DDD and a retrolisthesis. My current state is not nearly as bad as many of you.. but it will be. The only thing i do is take advil (lots of advil / naproxen).. i refuse to get hooked on narcotics and drag my family down with that. I've got alternate plans for when it gets too bad.
advertisement

Comments

• There are good too :-) you may have unfairly gotten a bad impression of lumbar fusions because for the most part those posting in these forums are perhaps the unfortunate ones who have experienced issues, whereas the fortunate ones may post during their recovery and then as time passes their posts lessen - it's only natural.

I am currently recovering myself from an L4 / S1 fusion, and although at times it's been tough, I feel very fortunate that I am beginning to experience positive signs of recovery. Yes perhaps things will not go back to how they were before, but I am certain that they will improve to a far greater degree than to have accepted the alternative you "offered" of paralysis.

I hope you will find others posting with the same / similar opinions, and that you yourself can see that the options available are not as negative as perhaps you perceive.
  • Nick_Murphy said:
    There are good too :-) you may have unfairly gotten a bad impression of lumbar fusions because for the most part those posting in these forums are perhaps the unfortunate ones who have experienced issues, whereas the fortunate ones may post during their recovery and then as time passes their posts lessen - it's only natural.

I am currently recovering myself from an L4 / S1 fusion, and although at times it's been tough, I feel very fortunate that I am beginning to experience positive signs of recovery. Yes perhaps things will not go back to how they were before, but I am certain that they will improve to a far greater degree than to have accepted the alternative you "offered" of paralysis.

I hope you will find others posting with the same / similar opinions, and that you yourself can see that the options available are not as negative as perhaps you perceive.
    Thank you, that's encouraging to read
  • advertisement
  • thoracic spine pain said:
    Hi the pharmacy companies are putting down opoid medications and making people scared of them. They are actually the best and purest medications for the rest of your body, liver kidneys etc as they are natural medications which have been around for years. They do the least damage to your body and you can live a long time on narcotics. Even though you get addicted to them, they will help kill the pain. When you are in pain you don't get a high from them.
    Please read the Intractable Pain Manual on this site as this explains everything. I will find it and flick it to the top again so it's easy for you to read.

You also seem to have a plan if nothing gets better. Please get help. We all get like this sometimes. There is a site called livingworks which you can look up on the net. Hope you have a less ain day.
    I will look into the suggested reading, thank you. I dont mean to sound so final / morbid with my comments... I have trouble being optimistic about something that will likely only get worse. I know a lot of people have it worse, so i try to keep that in perspective.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,101
    edited 05/27/2013 - 4:16 PM
    October 2011 I woke one morning unable to walk because my left leg no longer worked. It was terrifying. I had multiple levels fused at age 9 and made it to age 31 with only the occasional flare up. I had developed a 74 degree curve in my lower lumbar. It has been a pretty tough year, that's probably putting it lightly honestly, but now I can say that even with all these levels fused I'm able to control my pain without Rx meds (with the exception of neurotin). I am certainly happy that I didn't just except not being able to walk. I have my life back. It was worth the agony of this year. So... basically I'm saying... here's another positive result from fusion!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • thank you everyone for your kind words and replies. it does she a bright light on the subject.
  • advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • backache99 said:
    it took me over a year to decide if a fusion was the correct thing to do .it got so bad that in the end I had no choice and the ALIF was done ..I have never been in so much pain and the pain is constant .now I don't know what I would have been like if I would have left .? all I know is that I can't sleep in my bed ..if I am lucky I may get an hour then the pain is so bad it get me up .I am on lots of narcotics and muscle relaxers but still I am in hell .I have had 3 spinal operations and this one ...the fusion has been the worst .there will be no sky diving or skiing for me .hell ..walking is an achievement !!.so now I am 47 and I have no life at all .I can't even get comfy on my recliner .I am waiting to be seen by a pain consultant .please remember that a fusion is don't to stabilize the spine and any pain relief is a bonus not a guarantee ..I am one of the unlucky ones and my future is bleak I am getting worse by the day ..my doctor has giving up with me and even though I have been to A& E 3 times in the last 3 months and seen my doctor 7 times and had tests {still waiting for the results 28 may 13} I am still in pain and as yet no one knows why .there have been many theories but nothing definitive .being paralysed is no cure either as many have phantom limb pain so even after you leg has gone you may still feel the pain in you none existing leg .as pain is a sensation and is perceived in the brain .constant pain is a killer it has had me going to sleep and not wanting to ever wake .I have fought the pain for many years but this new pain is too much I just hope I have an answer soon and the pain can be managed a lot better than it is now .take care
    tony{UK}
    wow, i'm sorry to read that. this is what i'm terrified of. i know surgery will be my only option eventually.. but you cant help wonder what's worse.. it's such a coin toss.

i wish you all the best Tony, i hope you find relief somehow.
  • bmbutlerbbmbutler Posts: 88
    edited 05/29/2013 - 3:52 AM
    Maybe the writer was misunderstood, but I had to post that we aren't all good people. Culture wants us to believe that, but we are not, but that was what Christ's gift was for if we accept it. And yes, I am a Christian. But no, I am not a hater.
  • I'm not saying being in a wheelchair is the end of the world, but I was in a hospital bed and wheelchair for a year, my wife and daughter had to take care of me. I would rather be in Pain than go there again !
  • lbfrndfl said:
    I'm not saying being in a wheelchair is the end of the world, but I was in a hospital bed and wheelchair for a year, my wife and daughter had to take care of me. I would rather be in Pain than go there again !
    yeah, i'm sure it was tough. i guess my question was just stupid.. not that i was actually considering it or anything. I was more so wondering why they wouldn't do it for someone who has no quality of life.

I'm by no means in as rough shape as a lot of people, even people posting in these comments. but i know i will be.. and i'm terrified.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.