advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What do you think about epidural steriod injections?

Comments

• I have had over a dozen TFE Steroid Injections over the past 8 years. I had excellent results from the first series of injections at L1-L2 & L2-L3. I am a mechanic who works on large trucks and heavy machinery. Before the 1st injection I was barely able to walk, the very next day after the 1st injection I was on top of a truck changing a hydraulic valve that weighs about 70 pounds! The 1st series lasted about 3 years, and it seems that subsequent injections lasted less and less. But they bought me 8 years. My last series was in March of this year and I was in need of another shot or two in September, but my PM doc feels that I had enough injections, and due to some recent changes to my condition which were evident on an MRI done a few weeks ago I decided it is time to seek less conservative treatment. I absolutely have no regrets having the injections, for me the helped tremendously, just make sure you are sedated they are not fun when you are awake. Also for me not every shot worked exactly the same way, but they had a cumulative effect.
    I hope you have success in your treatment.
    DDD
    Numerous TFE Injections 3/05 - 4/13
    Laminectomy, Discectomy & Fusion at T12 - L1 Pending 11/13
  • I'm having an injection tomorrow. It will be the 7th in the past 18 months. Although I'm skeptical my Dr feels confident that I will have relief after having it and starting aqua therapy. This time they are planning on sedation, I've never done it that way and was told nothing to eat or drink after midnight. The one question I forgot to ask is, would be ok if I take my meds in the morning before hand. I'm on Vicodin, norotin and Valium. Has anyone been advised what they should do?
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • advertisement
  • Did you take your usual meds beforehand? Call the doctor on call the night before your injection if you are unsure of anything. :)
    Chronic pain since 2007. Have scoliosis. Had ACDF surgery for C5 Dec 2011. Sick of dealing with pain. I just turned 32 and struggle through but work full-time in IT.
  • I did call my Dr in the morning because I wasn't scheduled until 11:40 and there was no way I could take the pain until then. So, yes, they said to take my meds. I felt pretty good yesterday but today I'm right back to normal ( and we all know Normal isn't really "normal"). I'm having extreme leg and vaginal pain. It's more like a hot poker pain. I've decided to give myself the day to do nothing. I tried just a little walking yesterday just around my yard and inside the house.
    My husband and kids tell me I do too much but seriously, I really don't. You don't realize how many things you drop until you're not supposed to bend over.

I haven't slept in bed since June and last night I tried. I tossed and turned all night in pain. Usually I sleep in a zero gravity chair but I'm so tired of it. Actually I'm so tired of everything.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 477
    edited 10/31/2013 - 11:35 AM
    First, please choose only a board certified pain mgmt. Physician or psychiatrist for this procedure.

I was under twilight sleep (propafol) each time and found ut a very easy procedure to go through

Sometimes i got relief for a few months, other times, for only a few days.

But i feel its worth the try.... three injections only, then surgical consult if relief is not achieved

I was told by all, only THREE should be done

Rose
  • advertisement
  • they hurt like hell, unfortunately for me they did not help and will not do them again
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • on my nervesoon my nerves Posts: 115
    edited 11/14/2013 - 1:32 PM
    I'm two weeks out and zero relief. I started aqua therapy last week and it seems as if the day after I am in so much pain. I'm so fed up with trying different things and not having any success. I know I need to be patient but when will I know enough is enough and it's time for surgery?
  • There awesome saved me from having fusion so far and they don't hurt just feels like a flu shot, but make sure you only get one from a dr who uses a MRI live machine
  • anelsen15 said:
    wrightmsw, how many have you had just out of curiosity?
    3 during a right medial branch block (no sedation), another steroid injection in the Dr (pain management) office, wanted me to do another one and I said no, they where too painful with zero pain relief. The trigger points offered relief for about 10 minutes
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • I know some people that get relief and some people that don't. I have had 2 injections and got relief from them, both of them for only a day and a half max but I did get relief. Some people say they get relief for 6 months or more and some people say 0 relief. Since I am only getting relief for a day and a half the doc wants to talk about a facet block on my. I am willing to do anything for relief. I don't want to have surgery, that is my absolute last resort. I know there are side effects of the shots but as long as you don't over due them you will be fine. Make sure you find a good pm doc. The doctor makes the difference. My pain doctor used to be an anesthesiologist and went into pain management instead and is on her own, not associated with any other medical facilities which means she has to do good. She really cares about my pain and is trying everything she can to help me. I know the shots aren't cheap either but even the 1 day relief I got was worth the money. I will keep going for shots as long as I feel they are worth it to me.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.