advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

October surgery

Comments

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 11/04/2013 - 5:22 PM
    Bundy
    Did your surgeon say anything about the other cage and did the other level fuse or not fuse
    Did he do anything with that level at all this time.
    We have a friend that had a failed fusion that caused nothing but pain for years until it was redone.
    Just another thought. I was hoping he looked into it.
    Using a nerve chart and your pain what level.appears to be causing the pain.
  • It's a good thing that you are able to teach online. I think we all have our moments while recovering i am going through one myself. For some reason i have lost 6.5kgs in the three weeks since my surgery a good thing im not sure. I could do with loosing a couple of kilos 6.5kgs is a bit much & quickly. I wasn't trying to loose weight that's wot scares me a little. That sounds like a great idea about your cruise a awesome way to spend a weekend. Do you have room in your suitcase for me & my wife pleeeeese LOL I hope everything goes well for you Michelle just stick to the rules & don't lift to much it just takes time so i keep getting told because it's right! Hi Rick i know that it's still early stage but i just feel nothing has changed except i don't get pins & needles in my fingers all of the time anymore now it's just most of the time now. But i will get through this one way or another. That's the big difference between New Zealand & America is in all of my four cervical surgery's there has never been any talk about Physio or any after surgery care at all only getting to see my surgeon after six weeks. Thanks for all of your help & advice it really does help. Just gotta keep smiling!!!
    Thanks all Allan
  • advertisement
  • mbridgemanmmbridgeman Posts: 20
    edited 11/08/2013 - 1:20 AM
    Rick,
    Roulette is my game of choice so perhaps I will get lucky! I'll have to play 17 just for you :)

Allan,
    It's a long slow process for sure and I need to be patient. I will gladly take you and your wife along...c'mon over! I don't know how much 6.5kg adds up to in pounds. I lost 9 lbs right after my surgery...so nauseous and couldn't eat much :( I'm staying at around 6 now so...I won't complain :) Hope you are feeling better!
  • Hi all!!

It's been 5 weeks since my ACDF surgery and I'm doing pretty well. I wake up in the morning in quite a bit of pain most days and need to take a pain pill and wait 20 minutes before I get out of bed. I have been trying to limit my meds to only 3 times per day because my doctor is encouraging me to wean myself off of them. Does anyone have any idea when I may wake up without this shoulder blade and shoulder pain? The original pain shooting down my arm is now gone so it seems to be just the surgical pain... I'm worried the doc will cut them off and I'll have to deal with it without meds!
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    edited 11/08/2013 - 7:59 PM
    Usually the Surgeon will refer you to a Pain Dr. because the Surgeon has done his job. I would talk with him about your on going pain. I think we all have gone thru this and it takes a long time if ever to fully wake up Pain Free. Sorry to write this I am NOT a Dr. so this is why I am suggesting you ask your surgeon about Pain Dr. This was you will not be worried about being cut off, becuase that would be to hard to do. I am 3 months out of a posterior 3 level neck surgery and still wake up in severe pain I would not be able to function without my pain meds. I do not think anyone wants to take these by choice, but we have to so we are able to function. Just my Opinion

Susabell
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • advertisement
    How many Levels was your ACDF? Sorry I for got to ask you this, I hope I was able to help you out.
    It is always good to hear from you, and Yes Michelle us Spiney's tend to worry when we have not heard from you. It does get very frusterating, trust me Rick realizes I have like No Patience at all, I get upset easily because my mind wants to go but the Body says No not Yet. A cruise does sound like a Great Idea, I would love to do that also in the near future.

Bundy you are so right about the after care, with my first ACDF the aftercare was awful and I live in the USA. Horrible experience, but I have finally found a surgoen who follows thru, and I am very greatful for that.

I hope everyone can continue to improve with every new week!!!

God Bless us all.

Susabell
  • susabell said:
    It is always good to hear from you, and Yes Michelle us Spiney's tend to worry when we have not heard from you. It does get very frusterating, trust me Rick realizes I have like No Patience at all, I get upset easily because my mind wants to go but the Body says No not Yet. A cruise does sound like a Great Idea, I would love to do that also in the near future.

Bundy you are so right about the after care, with my first ACDF the aftercare was awful and I live in the USA. Horrible experience, but I have finally found a surgoen who follows thru, and I am very greatful for that.

I hope everyone can continue to improve with every new week!!!

God Bless us all.

Susabell

Sorry to have worried you guys. Everytime I thought to log in and check in with you guys, it seemed like something came up. It's hard when your only contact is online and I hope you all will forgive me for not being sensitive to the worry factor (I'm a worrier too....so I totally get it).
    Hope you are all well! BTW, if anyone reading this is in Central FL, I have a FANTASTIC neurosurgeon if you need one :)
  • Hips don't lieHHips don't lie Posts: 12
    edited 11/17/2013 - 5:13 PM
    I only had a c5-c6 anterior with a bone graft from my hip... It seems like small potatoes compared to some of the people here... Thank you so much for the advice!
  • Bundy
    How is it going. I have not been on has much and don't get around to everything I should.
    Are you getting any better yet. I hope the nerves are starting to calm down some and let you get some relief. Let us know what is going on. I have some new issues caused from scar tissue from a previous surgery and I am trying to get it taken care of very soon real soon I hope. Trying for a surgery before the Holidays. Always seems like I mess up this time of year.

Michelle
    How are you doing now. I hope your recovery is getting better every day.
    Good to see you can already teach your online class. What do you teach ( if you can say)
    LOL my ex had several online. Classes. It's interesting how well it can go.

Susabell
    Yes girl you are teaching me how frustrating this can be from the other side too.
    I understand how hard this is for the person and the people that take care of you.
    It just takes time and yes some frustration but getting better or helping some one get better is very much worth it in my book. Look at yourself even with your setback your a new person and more time will even make it better yet .

Hips don't lie
    Hello.welcome to this group. Has far has surgery goes none are good but the anterior cervical surgery is one of the best to have with the best recovery time and in many cases less pain. Wish you luck and hope it's all working out for you.

Rick
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.