advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

October surgery

Comments

• susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    edited 11/19/2013 - 2:59 PM
    You are very lucky to have a surgeon who used the Golden Standard with your anterior surgery. My acdf was a 3 level c4-7 and a matter graft matrix was used. A synthetic bone graft that did not Fuse. Then my after care was awful. I suffered for 3 years until I finally found a surgeon who knew what was going on and went in posterior. I did get several opinions before surgery #2 one surgeon wanted to put a SCS in me, that was Way Off Base!!!

Glad your healing up!

Susabell
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • Hips don't lieHHips don't lie Posts: 12
    edited 11/20/2013 - 11:49 AM
    To be honest I thought that because I only 45 and was in relatively good shape I would be back to work and painless by now but I still have pretty bad shoulder blade pain and I feel like I completely out of breath all the time.. It's been about 6 weeks now.. Should it be better than this?
  • advertisement
  • Hips don't lie
    My ACDF C5/6/7 had a very quick recovery time. My surgeon used donor bone to save cutting my hip which worked out well for me. We can all have different results with the same thing being done.
    If anything else was disturbed during your surgery that can cause further issues also. A example would be how many nerves they touched or had to move out of the way. Where I go they have equipment they hook up to us to protect our nerves and somehow it warns them when they get close to a nerve. So many different things can make our recoveries different.
    The one thing I noticed from my ACDF which may be effecting you now and it's only a guess from my experience is the position they put us in for that surgery.
    I went into my OR before the doctors were there. The surgery team was still setting up the room and I was wide awake on a gurney. A nurse folded several of those thin white hospital blankets into small squares and stacked them up on the operating table. With several blankets stacked up they helped me move over to the OR table. The stack of blankets was placed under me at just below the shoulders and upper back. Head hanging down and chest being pushed up.
    Very uncomfortable position. Surgeon came in and told them to get me two pillows to support my head until they were ready. Even with the pillows I was uncomfortable. They pulled out belts and tied me to the table about every foot apart.
    One belt over my.chest pulled me into the blankets some and then I believe the last belt was placed over my shoulders.
    They started all the meds and when I was going out they removed my pillows it was painful the way I was laying until the meds took.effect. If you can picture that you might understand why your still sore. My back.and.shoulder blade area was pretty sore for weeks but my neck felt great. Maybe the position used for your surgery is having a effect on you. At this time I was having some major lumbar issues also and was on a muscle relaxer. That may have helped me in the cervical recovery.

One more area to think about is after a.ACDF sometimes they are made aware of other issues not known at the time.
    In my case I had some interesting new issues come up after the ACDF and another MRI was done. It showed that my
    first surgery decompressed my spinal.cord but also showed the canal still did not have enough room for fluid all the way around my cord and then it also showed spinal cord damage that we did not know of.
    So depending on why your surgery was done, how it was done, your position during surgery and how many things were moved or even protected by covering something like a nerve can cause issues for many weeks to resolve.
    Nerves never like to be touched or moved.
    Your still early in recovery and I would not worry I.less you get some new issues with say something like the bowels or bladder and of course any breathing issues my guess and I do say guess because I don't know but I think it's Just some stress on your body. If anything gets more then a discomfort I would be asking your doctor some.questions.
    Always better to be safe then sorry.

Good Luck
    Rick
  • Sorry it's been a while but i have had a hard time getting over this last surgery. I am still getting the same pain now & it's 5 weeks since my surgery. To be honest depression is becoming a problem. I really thought i would have some improvement by now but nothing seems to be getting any better. I am trying to stay positive but it's getting harder & harder to do. The only changes have been to my medications my doctor has cut me back on all of them but that's a good thing i have wanted to be off them for a while but wot do i do about the pain? I think this is it for me & i just have to learn to live with it!!! crap
    edited 11/24/2013 - 3:24 PM
    I do understand your frustration. I'm sure by now you have told the surgeon No relief. It's very sad that going thru another surgery did Nothing!!! It just seems to me that this surgeon is Missing something. Just my thought I wish you could see my surgeon who fixed me up on my posterior surgery. Are you having non-union pain? If so that pain is Miserable and has to be addressed, no one can live with that pain... I will continue to pray for some relief.

Regards,
    susabell
  • advertisement
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 11/24/2013 - 4:22 PM
    Glad to see you post. Not happy to see your not doing better.
    A couple of thoughts for you to keep In mind. Your surgery can take a year to get over and know what your left with.
    The first six months give you the best Idea of how much help your going to get..
    Your recovery is still early and nerves take time to relax and even heal.
    Depending on your nerve damage and your first surgery many question still need to be asked.
    I am concerned that your first surgery wasn't right with the cage coming lose. Anything in there lose will.cause a problem. Is there any chance another surgeon could see you even if you have to travel some to see them. A second set of eyes may change your life.
    You gave me some Help getting Susabell over the fear of a second surgery. She needed it bad.. I hope you get in touch with her in a PM and discuss what happened to her in the first surgery and how a new surgeon did take care of the problem. She is a new person now. Talk with her. Her experience may help you.. I hope so anyway.

Hang in there don't give up yet. There is still time and many more things to try.
    We wish you were closer and could drop in and help you but unless somebody wins the lotto that is out for right now.

It isn't over yet and your not done yet keep fighting. Keep looking for.answers and help from other sources. Can you get to a heated swimming pool? I do a pool therapy twice a week.
    That helps me more then anything does. If all goes well I am having a second.scs unit added this week. I will know tomorrow for.sure. It looks good. My biggest worry is I can't do the pool until it's healed. I will miss it. We did not ask for this crap and we do not have to take no for a answer on getting things done to help us. Let's look for answers.

Rick
  • I am doing well. I went to see my NS yesterday with my xrays and he said everything is healing nicely and looked the way it should. One thing I didn't realize was that the MUSCLES need to heal as well. That seems to be my biggest obstacle. I notice when I overdo it, it's the muscle soreness that gets me.
    Bundy, I wish you could fly across the pond and see my surgeon. He's amazing. I don't want you to let this get to you to the point of depression...please seek help. I teach health and physical fitness and that's one of the topics my students learn about. Never be afraid to ask for help..it's out there! I will keep you in my prayers for healing and positive days :)I am going to take a couple more weeks off my brick and mortar job as I've been given the go ahead for more movement and lifting more weight. I want to see how my body responds to that.
    Rick...I LOVE teaching online and it really seems to be the way things are headed...so many things students (and teachers) don't have to put up with learning this way as opposed to being in a classroom with others who don't want to learn, bully, tease, pick on, distract, etc. Just my 2 cents having seen both sides of the proverbial coin.
    Bundy, anything I can do to help, please let me know!
    XO,
    Michelle
    MBridgeman, Yes the Muscles get very upset. That is what I am Dealing with, and will Continue to deal with. It takes a long time for them to heal. My Sister is a retired PE, and Health Teacher in the Classroom. She is a different person now that she is retired, she was so stressed out in the Classroom!!! Rick had a SCS put in on Tuesday, so not sure when he will be back on. I hope Bundy is doing Better!!!

Take Care & So Happy you are doing so well...
    Susabell
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 11/30/2013 - 11:41 PM
    Hi Everyone
    Yes I am.back in a reduced state for awhile but it is looking up.
    Has Sue said I had a second SCS implanted for my left ankle pain that my first SCS could not reach for coverages to help. The hospital surgery center called and had a cancellation of another surgery and with just a few days I had to make a decision and have surgery a few days later. It all went well and the night of the surgery the new unit along with the older unit took care of the pain all of the pain. Of course I have major pain from the surgery part of it and had to increase the drug program to help cover it but it did not. But five days in now I feel the worst is over and the pain from surgery is dropping pretty well. The test will be in a couple of weeks when I start cutting the major pain meds..
    I want to say thanks to Sue for her time and communication to get me past this. It's good to have friends that care.
    Thank you Sue. Hips don't lie I need a update on your issues now too, I hope your doing well also.

Bundy, Sue has done great, sounds like Michelle is doing fantastic and I am happy has I can be. It's your turn Buddy. Let's findout what is going on with you and what you need to get in a better place. We will do anything we can to help you. Keep us up to date and let us know what we can help you with. Do not be afraid to ask OK we all feel bad your not out having a great time. Let's get it done.

Thanks friends, I will be in touch more here in the future

Rick
  • Hips don't lieHHips don't lie Posts: 12
    edited 12/01/2013 - 5:28 AM
    Hi!!

I'm still really concerned about the bad days I continue to have. Although cooking for 12 people on Thanksgiving was probably not the smartest thing I had pain and weakness in my arm similar if not worse than presurgery when I woke up yesterday. Although a bit better today I feel that there may be something else causing all of this pain and the idea that I went through this painful surgery that may have derailed my career for nothing causes extreme depression for me. I'm still hopeful that I will get better in time for my 1/2 return to work but not convinced.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.